I am not proud to be an American

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2015, 08:12 PM
RE: I am not proud to be an American
(24-01-2015 08:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(24-01-2015 07:52 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Oh I didn't say or imply that I ignore them, I never shy away from a confrontation, part of my psychological makeup i suppose, I refuse to backdown, not always a smart thing, but knowing ones weaknesses is half the battle Smile

example of my point: like some religious folks who jump up and down screaming about their faith and how we are going to hell, yet know little to nothing about the very faith they purport to hold so dear...

Rather, my point was that in light of strong motivation, it is the motivation itself that deserves being addressed. Holding an opinion one finds corroboration for it; we're all guilty of that. The initial why is the point of interest.

Very true, good point.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2015, 08:12 PM
(24-01-2015 07:42 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:Most of the US tax code is half-assed patches to catch tax evasion post-hoc. The statutes in question tellingly only apply to those whose net worth is in millions and even then there are many ancillary conditions.

Most of the US Tax Code is special rules for business criminal assholes so they can write off things without it being tax evasion.

You should read it some time. It's great for insomnia.

I re-affirm with you that there exist reasons for things being as they are.

I have never found the "lol conspiracy" lens to be particularly helpful in clarifying or understanding them.

... this is my signature!
24-01-2015, 08:15 PM
I am not proud to be an American
I live in the USA and have dual citizenship in Canada and the USA. I have lived in both and love both. Both countries have good and bad points about them.

Usually I claim my Canadian side more. That's mostly because I live in the South, and I have very few, if any, Southern traditions. I always joke that I don't like chewing my tea (holy shit, the amount of sugar...) or fry everything or know anyone in NASCAR. It's not all bad, but it's usually obvious to others I don't fit in.

As for pride... I'm proud of anyone who has done good things. I'm proud of people like GWG and my friend who just got a medical retirement from the Army because of a TBI. I'm proud of anyone who wants to better the world for others.
I have both flags in my home.
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
24-01-2015, 09:13 PM
Living in Canada and having US citizenship, I do indeed have to file my tax return in both places. But everything up to just under 100k of my Canadian income is exempt, so all I'm really taxed on in the US is my National Guard income and whatever I make in Canada above 100k. Not a big deal unless you're making a lot more than that, or if your income is something other than salary, such as stocks or something.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
24-01-2015, 10:27 PM
AW: RE: I am not proud to be an American
(24-01-2015 08:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(24-01-2015 07:42 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Most of the US Tax Code is special rules for business criminal assholes so they can write off things without it being tax evasion.

You should read it some time. It's great for insomnia.

I re-affirm with you that there exist reasons for things being as they are.

I have never found the "lol conspiracy" lens to be particularly helpful in clarifying or understanding them.
What's with those straw men, cjlr? I said nothing about tyranny and he said nothing about conspiracies. Are you seriously denying that corporate lobbyism is a thing?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
24-01-2015, 11:37 PM
(24-01-2015 10:27 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(24-01-2015 08:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I re-affirm with you that there exist reasons for things being as they are.

What's with those straw men, cjlr? I said nothing about tyranny and he said nothing about conspiracies. Are you seriously denying that corporate lobbyism is a thing?

Agreed. It is not a shadowy cabal or conspiracy, it's just people with money and power doing their best to secure and perpetuate that wealth and power. They're simply doing what's in their best interest, and that currently includes spending millions of dollars legally bribing people in the government to get favorable legislation passed that saves them millions (if not billions) more. Buying out the government is simply good business sense, for the short term anyways. Is it good for long term stability or sustainability? No. But quarterly stock prices and 'performance bonuses' don't give a shit about long term, so there is that... Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
25-01-2015, 01:10 AM
[Image: LKTcr3A.jpg]

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 3 users Like Losty's post