"I am not religious man, but you should be"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2010, 10:59 AM
"I am not religious man, but you should be"
I have a profile in "interpals"- a website which its gaol is to make interactions with people around the world.
As a function in this website, one member can send a PM to another one.

Look what I got from some one in Teheran:

"Hello my friend. Excuse me for the things that I want to tell you, I bet you Think some more about god and religions...
I am not Religious, but I bet you think more...Because there is a god who let you think what ever you want but some day you will see the god... and then...so I beg you think more... just a little more my friend..."

(I did some changes in the messege so it can be readble)

Have you ever came across with someone (and I really control myself to not add "stupid") who clames he is not religious person, but belives in god anyway- and therefor you should think and believe in god as well? (funny "think" and "believe in god" in the same sentece Tongue)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2010, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2010 12:19 PM by Juppers.)
RE: "I am not religious man, but you should be"
If they claim they are not religious, and in the very next sentence say that they believe in god, then they are contradicting themselves, or they don't know what religion means altogether. I've had Muslims from such countries as Turkey, or Egypt or Bangladesh approach me with a similar 'strategy' (on Facebook or elsewhere). Most of them shared three common features:

1. Extremely poor English (hardly any beyond the 'hello, how are you?' level).

2. The moment I told them I was an atheist, they used the word 'think' (I had trouble understanding whatever they were saying after that, due to no. 1, but it was something along the lines of the 'well something/someone must have made all of this' argument). My reply to that was usually 'Yeah that's what I did' (think, that is).

3. The inexplicable and unjustifiable assumption that if you are a woman and they've known you for like five minutes of 'conversation', during which time you took serious pains to understand what the heck they were talking about (again due to no. 1), they were entitled to asking you to marry them, and you were supposed to feel honored and grateful that they did!

This is not to say that all people in those countries are stupid and unable to speak English, I have met others who were quite intelligent and very adept linguistically. But this sort of approach seems to be recurrent among people from Muslim countries whose level of education/intelligence is... well you know what I mean.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
12-06-2010, 01:14 PM
I think that is the common reaction of someone who believes, but doesn't practice their religion, then they meet an atheist. The kind of person that goes to church on Easter and Christmas only, and has never truly known much about atheists before. The idea strikes them as odd, not having much exposure to the idea of atheism. I(and my atheist friends) get similar reactions a lot when we say that we're atheists. There was some shock(We live in a heavily Christian community; they probably never meet an atheist before), a sense of questioning at how an atheist lives(oddly similar to a non-practicing Christian), and sometimes the slightly more zealous ones comment that I should believe.

And Juppers; I love your sig.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
12-06-2010, 01:40 PM

lol, how you guys meet so many faqs?
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2010, 02:53 PM
(12-06-2010 01:40 PM)Mr.ill-Natured- Wrote:  lol, how you guys meet so many faqs?

Certain regions of the United States are very religious, particularly in the Midwest and the South. Texas is one of them - hence their new changes to their educational curriculum - but you can also find very religious communities in Indiana and the surrounding states. Then, of course, even the non-religious states have certain areas where your choice of deity is the defining factor in your life.
It really all depends on where you live. I lived in southern Indiana, just north of Louisville, Kentucky, for most of my life, and hardly ever ran into any serious fundamentalists, even though I lived across the street from a Catholic church and high school (though that may have more to do with the fact that Catholics often as hardcore as other sects than the regional tendency towards "soft" religion). Go a little north or east, though, and there were fundies everywhere.
Now I'm in Louisville, and Bardstown Road - the local fun street, where all the shops and restaurants are - is covered in churches. In some places there are three to a block (and you can have a lot of fun imagining the feuds their clergy have when trying to recruit). When walking around at night, there's an even twenty-five percent chance at being a) mugged b) raped c) both or d) being accosted by a half-drunk evangelist. Fun times.

As an aside, Catholics seem to build better churches than other sects of Christianity. You make it big, you make it impressive, you make the tower so tall that people get dizzy looking up at the top, and, most importantly, you put an actual bell in the tower and hire a bell ringer. The only other church we saw which rivaled that one in impressiveness was a Lutheran, I think, but the Lutherans also had one that was literally someone's garage with a sign over the door, so they lost points for that.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
12-06-2010, 02:53 PM

(12-06-2010 11:50 AM)Juppers Wrote:  If they claim they are not religious, and in the very next sentence say that they believe in god, then they are contradicting themselves, or they don't know what religion means altogether. I've had Muslims from such countries as Turkey, or Egypt or Bangladesh approach me with a similar 'strategy' (on Facebook or elsewhere). Most of them shared three common features:

1. Extremely poor English (hardly any beyond the 'hello, how are you?' level).

2. The moment I told them I was an atheist, they used the word 'think' (I had trouble understanding whatever they were saying after that, due to no. 1, but it was something along the lines of the 'well something/someone must have made all of this' argument). My reply to that was usually 'Yeah that's what I did' (think, that is).

3. The inexplicable and unjustifiable assumption that if you are a woman and they've known you for like five minutes of 'conversation', during which time you took serious pains to understand what the heck they were talking about (again due to no. 1), they were entitled to asking you to marry them, and you were supposed to feel honored and grateful that they did!

This is not to say that all people in those countries are stupid and unable to speak English, I have met others who were quite intelligent and very adept linguistically. But this sort of approach seems to be recurrent among people from Muslim countries whose level of education/intelligence is... well you know what I mean.

Dude, poor English level means nothing. Learning a second language is difficult. Is English your second language?

In Israel, it goes pretty much the same - The theists try to make us believe in god, so that we will not burn in hell. They feel like they're saving us.
I actually felt like that when I was a theist, but then I understood that there's no god, and therefore, there's no hell/heaven.
But in Israel, we got something funny - If someone asks me whether I'm a Jew or not, I'm telling him that I'm an atheist.
As most people in Israel, unlike the USA, this guy asks me what an atheist is (There aren't a lot of atheists here on Israel, so there aren't a lot of people who know what an atheist is [I mean, some people have NEVER met atheists in their life]).
I tell him that atheist is someone who doesn't believe in a god. Then he asks me like a moron - "So are you a Christian or something?", and I just do a big facepalm and trys to explain him that I really do not believe in magics and a floating guy that created the universe with a fart.

Edit:
Umm... is it 6:54AM in the USA?
It's 11:54PM here. o___O
12-06-2010, 02:57 PM
(12-06-2010 02:53 PM)HurricaneIL Wrote:  Umm... is it 6:54AM in the USA?
It's 11:54PM here. o___O

Uh... It's about five p.m. for me. Where did you get the 6:54?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
12-06-2010, 03:00 PM

Above the user's nickname, it states the date and the time of the posted message.
It says that you posted on 06:57AM.
I guess the forum's time settings are wrong.
12-06-2010, 03:18 PM
(12-06-2010 03:00 PM)HurricaneIL Wrote:  Above the user's nickname, it states the date and the time of the posted message.
It says that you posted on 06:57AM.
I guess the forum's time settings are wrong.

I guess so. On my screen, it says that I posted at 3:57 p.m. I guess my forum settings are an hour behind.

12-06-2010, 03:36 PM
(12-06-2010 01:14 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  And Juppers; I love your sig.

Thanks. It struck me as summing up very well the quintessence of Christianity.

Quote:Dude, poor English level means nothing. Learning a second language is difficult. Is English your second language?

Yes, it is my second language, but I majored in applied English (i.e. translation) and I work with it on a daily basis. I think that, in our days, a poor level of English indicates a poor level of education. I'm not saying that everyone needs to speak it perfectly, but the least you can do is make yourself understood, and learn the basics of the language before engaging into conversations with other people on the Internet. These guys' level was way below elementary, and that's just not something I can easily overlook, or forgive.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.