"I am not religious man, but you should be"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2010, 03:41 PM

RE: "I am not religious man, but you should be"
Oh it is your second language? What's your mother's language then?
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2010, 03:43 PM
(12-06-2010 03:41 PM)HurricaneIL Wrote:  Oh it is your second language? What's your mother's language then?

Romanian.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2010, 03:51 PM
(12-06-2010 02:53 PM)HurricaneIL Wrote:  Dude, poor English level means nothing. Learning a second language is difficult. Is English your second language?

I am in the same position you are- My first language is Hebrew, and my second is English (and third is Spanish, but it isn't important...). Poor English level means a lot while discussing about serious issues (like the existence of god) from the simple reason you feel you can't understand the arguments of the other side, and therefor can't argue about them, and the fact that you know the other side can't understand what you saying- because you use words and expretions which obviously only high level English speakers know what they mean.
A few days ago I argued (or tried to argue...) with a Turkish teen about the flotilla. It was a disaster. I couldn't understand one sentence he was writing. The weird thing is- he didn't have misspellings, he just didn't know any syntax rules. After a few minutes I gave up and said I can't talk with him because I can't understand what he is writing.

(12-06-2010 02:53 PM)HurricaneIL Wrote:  In Israel, it goes pretty much the same - The theists try to make us believe in god, so that we will not burn in hell. They feel like they're saving us.
I actually felt like that when I was a theist, but then I understood that there's no god, and therefore, there's no hell/heaven.
But in Israel, we got something funny - If someone asks me whether I'm a Jew or not, I'm telling him that I'm an atheist.
As most people in Israel, unlike the USA, this guy asks me what an atheist is (There aren't a lot of atheists here on Israel, so there aren't a lot of people who know what an atheist is [I mean, some people have NEVER met atheists in their life]).
I tell him that atheist is someone who doesn't believe in a god. Then he asks me like a moron - "So are you a Christian or something?", and I just do a big facepalm and trys to explain him that I really do not believe in magics and a floating guy that created the universe with a fart.

HAHAHA! I couldn't tell it better!
12-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Unbeliever you live very close to me. I live in central KY only about an hour or so away from louisville. I go to that city every other week. Lol maybe we have seen eachother before but never realized it. Too bad I have no idea who you are outside the fact you are a college student like me.
Find all posts by this user
12-06-2010, 08:40 PM
(12-06-2010 06:35 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Unbeliever you live very close to me. I live in central KY only about an hour or so away from louisville. I go to that city every other week.

Cool! Glad to know I'm not the only TTAForumite in this area.

Quote:Lol maybe we have seen eachother before but never realized it.

Possible, if you spend much time on the University of Louisville campus. Before this semester, I didn't get out to Bardstown too much, and there really isn't anywhere else to go.

Quote:Too bad I have no idea who you are outside the fact you are a college student like me.

As my Facebook profile says, "I'm a D&D-playing, computer-programming, classic-rock-loving nerd AND PROUD OF IT!". Also, I look like this, and sometimes wear a black cowboy hat, which looks like this:

[Image: a20792b12459418a9a3008_m.JPG]

Feel free to giggle.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
14-06-2010, 01:51 PM

Oh, you're a computer programmer? me too! Big Grin
What a small world. ;o
Too bad you're a classic rock lover. Confused METAL FTW!!!

Shiran, you should visit the Israeli forum (Not for you guys xD), FXP. It has an atheist forum, where you can dicuss about things in Hebrew, it's really awesome and it's one of the reasons I became an atheist.

BTW, what's KY?
Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2010, 02:05 PM
In the United States, every state has a two-letter abbreviation. KY is short for Kentucky.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
15-06-2010, 03:14 PM
(12-06-2010 03:51 PM)shiranl Wrote:  
(12-06-2010 02:53 PM)HurricaneIL Wrote:  Dude, poor English level means nothing. Learning a second language is difficult. Is English your second language?

I am in the same position you are- My first language is Hebrew, and my second is English (and third is Spanish, but it isn't important...). Poor English level means a lot while discussing about serious issues (like the existence of god) from the simple reason you feel you can't understand the arguments of the other side, and therefor can't argue about them, and the fact that you know the other side can't understand what you saying- because you use words and expretions which obviously only high level English speakers know what they mean.
A few days ago I argued (or tried to argue...) with a Turkish teen about the flotilla. It was a disaster. I couldn't understand one sentence he was writing. The weird thing is- he didn't have misspellings, he just didn't know any syntax rules. After a few minutes I gave up and said I can't talk with him because I can't understand what he is writing.

(12-06-2010 02:53 PM)HurricaneIL Wrote:  In Israel, it goes pretty much the same - The theists try to make us believe in god, so that we will not burn in hell. They feel like they're saving us.
I actually felt like that when I was a theist, but then I understood that there's no god, and therefore, there's no hell/heaven.
But in Israel, we got something funny - If someone asks me whether I'm a Jew or not, I'm telling him that I'm an atheist.
As most people in Israel, unlike the USA, this guy asks me what an atheist is (There aren't a lot of atheists here on Israel, so there aren't a lot of people who know what an atheist is [I mean, some people have NEVER met atheists in their life]).
I tell him that atheist is someone who doesn't believe in a god. Then he asks me like a moron - "So are you a Christian or something?", and I just do a big facepalm and trys to explain him that I really do not believe in magics and a floating guy that created the universe with a fart.

HAHAHA! I couldn't tell it better!

The worst people in Israel are the Nachmans. They are this super-fundie Jewish cult who go around getting high and spreading the "love" and "sage" wisdom of their 100+ year dead rabbi. They tend to drive around in these old box vans with giant speakers blasting horrible techno about how great their rabbi was.

Their cult pretty much only consists of people who went to India after the army service, tripped until they found "god," and returned to Israel to convert the rest of the country.

They assume that everyone else is an idiot and they know best because they used to not be religious but they are now.

They really are the definition of loony.
16-06-2010, 04:44 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2010 04:47 AM by shiranl.)
Oh! don't say that! I love them. they are so cute with the biblical sandels, white close and gitar! They are pritty funny actually. One time, during the second Lebanon war, they stop their car with the meggaphone in middle of the street and play the song " Yalla Ya Nasralla " (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-biPAkwG...e=related) and I started to dance with them. Was sooooooo fun!

The worst are Naturey Karta.
17-06-2010, 04:01 AM
(16-06-2010 04:44 AM)shiranl Wrote:  Oh! don't say that! I love them. they are so cute with the biblical sandels, white close and gitar! They are pritty funny actually. One time, during the second Lebanon war, they stop their car with the meggaphone in middle of the street and play the song " Yalla Ya Nasralla " (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-biPAkwG...e=related) and I started to dance with them. Was sooooooo fun!

The worst are Naturey Karta.

You're correct. Nothing beats societal parasites who enjoy all the benefits of welfare, free schools, healthcare, etc. while simultaneously attacking police officers, dodging the draft and promoting terrorism against the state they reside in.

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion. - L. Ron Hubbard (Creater of Scientology)