I am now churchless.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2013, 04:02 PM

RE: I am now churchless.
(19-04-2013 12:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes and no.

We've haven't grown spiritually in a church for so long now... that we're really craving a church that has substance.

You won't ever find it. Those days are over. This is a whole new generation of mankind. The Church, the traditional Christian Church is dead. You might as well make your own.

And I'll tell you something--it's a lonely, desolate, and often depressing spiritual desert to be in. And out here, you're constantly fighting Satan. Why do you think so many people take the ready-to-use "religion kit" off the shelf?

Maybe it's time to re-examine everything you thought was true and come up with your own tenets. Because for all the downside, the upside is tremendous spiritual growth.

Maybe you and I should start something online. We're polar opposites, we might have a chance at the truth that way. Hammer out the issues, support one another spiritually, come to a better theology. Then we'll go out and find others like ourselves. I went through it; you're going through it; there's got to be others.

Because you know you're never going back, and you're too smart to be an atheist.

Quote:A community is an added bonus... but in all honesty, we're actually burned out and annoyed with "get togethers", "Sunday School parties", and "functions".

Join Toastmasters. Put your kids in Scouts or Little League or something. Problem solved. Drinking Beverage
Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2013, 04:17 PM
(19-04-2013 03:44 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 03:29 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I do have to throw my opinion in here. Even though I agree with you for the most part, not everyone is out for power. My father was the pastor for a church in a small town for twelve years, very good dude. Kinda like KC, I have a ton of love and respect for the guy, and so did everyone in the church.

Turns out, the district pastor for our denomination got old and decrepit or whatever, and resigned. It happened pretty suddenly and nobody knew quite what to do. My dad, being as respected as he is, was asked to leave his home church in order to fill the role, because there was noone else that anybody could think of better for the job.

As hard as it was to leave his congregation, and as hard as it was for the congregation to let him go, he did it. For the good of the church. And everyone supported it.

Religion doesn't always mean politics. (you won't hear me say that often)

You misunderstood me. I don't think every pastor of every church is a powermonger. In fact, I believe most of them aren't. Sure, maybe for some it strokes their ego a bit, kinda like being a manager of a McDondalds strokes the manager's ego a bit too, but that's not really a power trip. You gotta get higher up the ranks than pastor before you (usually) find the powermongers, climbing that ladder, eyes on the Pope's throne (for example), playing the political game to clutch at more and more power as they rise in respect and authority and, well, power.

So when I was talking of religious leaders, I meant those guys.

But they set the example, and petty political crap starts to happen at every level as the common churchgoers emulate that example. Not all of them. But it only takes one, or a few, to start the fire, like what happened in KC's church - an example of little people strutting around, trying to grasp at anything to flex their political muscle and feel bigger than they really are.

Right on. Just had to throw that in there. At times the urge to lump all religious people into the tenets of religion puts blinders on a discussion. Wasn't picking on you. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Egor...who on here 'hates' Christ?

Kind of hard to hate what you don't believe exists or ever existed.

I hate the forcing of religious beliefs down the throats of others. I don't hate any of the characters from the Bible any more than I live with a hatred of any other fictional character.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
19-04-2013, 05:02 PM
I am now churchless.
KC, my hat is off to you, sir. Well done indeed.

The world can use more people like you.

I have but one regret in the way you handled the affair: you didn't leave them looking at pictures of upside down dogs. You passed up an unforgettable dramatic exit. But, fear not, there may be other churches in your future. You can save it for them.
19-04-2013, 05:23 PM
(19-04-2013 10:17 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...I really feel like just letting out a string of profanities...

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain

Let 'em fly KC!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
19-04-2013, 05:37 PM
I am now churchless.
(19-04-2013 05:23 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 10:17 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...I really feel like just letting out a string of profanities...

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
Mark Twain

Let 'em fly KC!

An episode this epic may even call for a primal scream from the highest mountaintop. Agree?
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
20-04-2013, 03:27 AM
(19-04-2013 11:50 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 11:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  If the Reformed churches don't work out, we're going to visit Presbyterians (since they are close to Reformed).

Spiritually or geographically?

Or just alphabetically?

Belief-wise.

They are the only other Calvinistic denomination besides Reformed Baptists.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
20-04-2013, 03:31 AM
(19-04-2013 12:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's great that you stood your ground. It shows much more strength in your convictions than just following what was/is the popular way to go within your former church.

The remark that you shouldn't reject Christ rankles me a bit. You left THAT church, you didn't stand up an renounce any belief if I am understanding correctly. Obviously the people who think this is sign of rejection of Christ are convinced that you should only believe as they do.

You will find something, or not. Either way it will work out.

You are showing your kids that you mean what you say and that staying silent and going with the flow isn't the way handle everything...one day they will appreciate that.

(and btw...nice earring...hehe, thanks for that QC)

Thanks Angie :-)

And yes... I used to have earrings. lol forgot Jess posted that on FB.

20-04-2013, 03:35 AM
(19-04-2013 12:46 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 10:23 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I told them that I would rather be around atheists than Christians.

Me too.

I'm sorry you're stuck with all this stress. I think your long, spoilered post about what happened is a perfect illustration of how humans have the capacity to screw up everything, good or bad, once we start in with our own power-games, machinations, and ambitions.

Religion is not immune from this problem. In fact, it might be more prone to it that most anything else humans do.

I'll gladly debate all day long about whether there is a god, and interesting points can be made on both sides, but any debate about whether most religious institutions are corrupt tools used by scheming leaders to exert their own power ambitions seems to me to be an already a foregone conclusion. In short, I'm not at all surprised that some churchgoers can and do on occasion make political power grabs within their church - this behavior is a staple crop of religions and has been throughout history.

This is the third time this situation has occured at a Southern Baptist church that I've been associated with. Enough is enough.

I'm willing to agree with you about religion being more prone to it. It's so obvious to me why people leave religion.

20-04-2013, 03:39 AM
(20-04-2013 03:35 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is the third time this situation has occured at a Southern Baptist church that I've been associated with. Enough is enough.

I'm willing to agree with you about religion being more prone to it. It's so obvious to me why people leave religion.

Correlation =/= causation.

Maybe it's not the religion... maybe it's you?

Tongue

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post