I am now churchless.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2013, 05:45 PM
RE: I am now churchless.
(23-04-2013 04:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-04-2013 04:05 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Come on, guys, KC has clearly stated that going to a church gives him and his family a place where they belong to and a sense of community. Why would you want to stop him from achieving that? No

Because there are non-toxic places for community.

... that won't be lying to his children.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
23-04-2013, 06:42 PM
I am now churchless.
KC, give us some details so we can have a clearer understanding of your needs. What are the different community needs your church satisfied for you? For your wife? For your kids?

Were there any detriments you needed to work around or repair post hoc from your prior church?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
23-04-2013, 11:56 PM
I don't know what's in your area KC or what you are interested in (beside Church) but here's an idea.
Those building project things. You volunteer to go with a bunch of people to a building site and build a home for a bunch of poor people.
Perfect family activity, you get to socialize AND you'd be doing a far more "Christian" thing then going to church every Sunday...

Just throwing ideas out there.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
24-04-2013, 08:56 AM
(20-04-2013 06:14 PM)Dom Wrote:  KC, so do you make any decisions? Or are events predetermined so you need not make decisions?

Ultimately... no... I don't make decisions.

Although, my perception of free will makes it seem as if I do make decisions.

Quote:The more I think about this predetermined thing, the more it looks like anything one did would be totally pointless.

Just sit back and let whatever happens, happen, since it was predetermined to happen anyway.

Consider

It would be like that if God wasn't in control of it... meaning... if somehow, I had control of my predestination (contradiction, I know).

God doesn't allow me to "sit back and do nothing". He has given me the desires and wants so that I am in line with the predestined plan.

Edit: Sorry this took so long, Dom.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-04-2013, 09:01 AM
(23-04-2013 04:05 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Come on, guys, KC has clearly stated that going to a church gives him and his family a place where they belong to and a sense of community. Why would you want to stop him from achieving that? No

Thanks, Vosur. While it's frustrating... I get their point of view.

It's the same thing when I tell an atheist I'm praying for them. It's how I express my concern for someone that matters to me. In the same way, atheists are expressing their concern in the best way they know how. It seems right to them, and I can appreciate that.

24-04-2013, 09:05 AM
(23-04-2013 06:42 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  KC, give us some details so we can have a clearer understanding of your needs. What are the different community needs your church satisfied for you? For your wife? For your kids?

Were there any detriments you needed to work around or repair post hoc from your prior church?

I am looking for a church that is pastor-elder led.
I am looking for a church that subscribes to the tenets of Reformed Theology.
I am looking for a church with a strong educational program.
I am looking for a church that has a genuine heart for ministry.
I am looking for a church where my wife and I can grow and can gain lasting friendships.
I am looking for a church with a strong nursery and children's program for my kids.

My old church was committee-congregation led.
My old church subscribed to the tenets of Arminianism.
My old church has a mediocre educational program.
My old church has a genuine heart for ministry.
My old church didn't allow for my wife and I to grow, and we only had superficial friendships.
My old church had a strong nursery and children's program.

24-04-2013, 09:08 AM
(23-04-2013 11:56 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't know what's in your area KC or what you are interested in (beside Church) but here's an idea.
Those building project things. You volunteer to go with a bunch of people to a building site and build a home for a bunch of poor people.
Perfect family activity, you get to socialize AND you'd be doing a far more "Christian" thing then going to church every Sunday...

Just throwing ideas out there.

Building projects aren't the best thing for a 3.5 year old and a 1 year old, though.

24-04-2013, 09:11 AM
He is looking for a continuation of his delusions
He is looking for confirmation bias
He is looking for people who can reinforce his beliefs through their own passion for ignorance.

Tongue

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
24-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Just go Presbyterian church hopping until you find one you all find agreeable. Maybe try a couple of Unitarian churches - they can be quite open. It's kind of obvious you've grown spiritually beyond the confines of a singular walled edifice... time to see the world. Wander a bit. Find a new way in the world ... your own way.
You know what I'm talkin' 'bout. Drinking Beverage

When the Tao is lost, there is goodness.
When goodness is lost, there is morality.
When morality is lost, there is ritual.
Ritual is the husk of true faith,
the beginning of chaos.

Therefore the Master concerns himself
with the depths and not the surface,
with the fruit and not the flower.
He has no will of his own.
He dwells in reality,
and lets all illusions go.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
24-04-2013, 09:24 AM
I hear Ed is looking for attendees? Thumbsup

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post