I am now churchless.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2013, 11:45 AM
RE: I am now churchless.
(19-04-2013 05:22 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  KC - Be careful about spending too much time away from church. Spend enough time away and you begin to realise that your morality, family, work, and life are the same with or without a God in your life. It's a slippery slope.

QC and I are going to be visiting a lot of churches over the next couple of months.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
19-04-2013, 11:47 AM
(19-04-2013 06:32 AM)Dom Wrote:  I have a friend (much older than you) who is very Christian and went to church all her life. She recently experienced a similar situation and left her church. It's been a year and she is still churchless, she has tried a couple and just doesn't like them. She has taken to reading her bible instead. She seems happy enough now.

We're kind of afraid of this as well. Hopefully, we'll find a church that we're comfortable with.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
19-04-2013, 11:48 AM
(19-04-2013 10:02 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 02:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  QC and I left our church last night due to some issues that we do not agree with.

It was the church that she grew up in, so there are a lot of good memories there... and, in a weird way, it's hard to leave. But, we couldn't see any other way to handle the situation.

We've both gone a traditional Southern Baptist church most of our lives. At this point, we don't ever want to be associated with the denomination ever again.

This is also supported by the fact that we are Reformed... which is in direct contention with the Arminian beliefs of Southern Baptists.

We know of a few Reformed churches in the area, but if they don't work out, I think we're going to visit some Presbyterian churches.

This is a weird situation for both of us... we've never been churchless or had to find a new church home.

Shopping for a new church can't be easy. I have a couple presbyterian friends and they don't appear too nutty.

Good Luck to you both.

If the Reformed churches don't work out, we're going to visit Presbyterians (since they are close to Reformed).

19-04-2013, 11:49 AM
(19-04-2013 10:31 AM)nach_in Wrote:  Damn! that must've been fun (I'm a law student, I enjoy conflict, and i just realized I might need therapy)

Good for you KC! standing for your pastor and getting him what he deserves. Hope that'll teach them Big Grin

Heh... I wish I could have enjoyed it. I was too livid, though.

19-04-2013, 11:49 AM
(19-04-2013 10:34 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Wow....that's just awful. But seriously KC, good for you for standing up and doing what was RIGHT.

You really not only "talk the talk" but you can also, "walk the walk!"

Thank you for that.

I just hate that any of this had to happen.

19-04-2013, 11:50 AM
(19-04-2013 11:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 10:02 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Shopping for a new church can't be easy. I have a couple presbyterian friends and they don't appear too nutty.

Good Luck to you both.

If the Reformed churches don't work out, we're going to visit Presbyterians (since they are close to Reformed).

Spiritually or geographically?

Or just alphabetically?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-04-2013, 11:50 AM
(19-04-2013 10:44 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Wow KC, much respect. If more people in this world, regardless of their beliefs, were as honest and forthright as you, society wouldn't be in the shithole it is.

I applaud you, sir. Good luck with whatever aftermath may occur.

Thank you very, very much.

Wow. I'm flattered.

19-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Jeremy you should tell them what you said to them before walking out lol.

Yes, I'm also a Christian.
[+] 2 users Like queenschosen's post
19-04-2013, 11:58 AM
(19-04-2013 11:55 AM)queenschosen Wrote:  Jeremy you should tell them what you said to them before walking out lol.

Yeah. Inquiring minds want to know. Angel

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
19-04-2013, 12:00 PM
(19-04-2013 11:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 08:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  1) I pretty much accept both that the analytical sciences are what we define as "truth" and the empirical sciences are our current best guess as to what the fuck's going on. I believe, for example, that evolution is our current best guess for how we came to be. Is that gonna be a problem?

Don't know if me believing in evolution is going to play a role in choosing a church. It's not really something that's worth discussing theologically.

Evolution is merely an example. The real question I'd ask is "I got this here problem where I can't help but think rationally, I can admit some irrationality and unreasonable beliefs for the sake of preserving my faith, but I have my limits. Is that gonna be a problem here?"

Quote:2) I really cannot even imagine how a postmortem preservation of identity is even plausible, let alone tenable. Note that I ain't denying some postmortem preservation of self or soul or something else ineffable, just saying I ain't gonna be there to recognize it. Is that gonna be a problem?

Same as above. If people want to think that they are going to see loved ones in heaven and have a grand ole time... let them think that... don't know if that would keep me from going to a church.

Again, the question I'd have for the Church is "Can you tolerate a believer who has doubts with respect to the concept of a postmortem preservation of identity?"

Quote:3) What's with this whole "elect" business? I mean, everyone's elect. Is that gonna be a problem?

But that's just me.

Well... it's just one of the tenets I believe in. I believe in limited atonement - sufficient for all but only meant for some... which is why there are only some elect.

And here we will have to agree to disagree. Sufficient for all means given to all. I don't think you have to accept, or even be aware of it, to be saved. But I'm my own personal Jeebus, so my perspective is admittedly biased.

Quote:Keep us posted KC/QC, I'm curious where you wind up.

I definitely will. Thank you for your concern.

I'm not being facetious, if I came across that way, I really am curious, you're an interesting cat.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.