I am now officially boycotting YouTube

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2017, 08:23 AM
RE: I am now officially boycotting YouTube
The ironic being that when I don't use it for music, I watch YouTube for the ads. Laugh out load

Watch a lot of gaming vids so those are my adsense. And Gwynnies. That's kinda awesome. People being all scared about surveillance and shit while I'm like know everything about me so's you never distract me. Heart

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2017, 08:25 AM
I've been listening to music for the last couple of hours and have yet to see the ad you speak of. I have seen a lot of Longhorn Steakhouse adds and now I want a steak (Fuck you Longhorn) and those Goddamn Nationwide Insurance commercials you can't click after 5 secs. I live on Youtube with my own channel for my clients. So while your boycott might work for you, and I agree with your points, it won't stop me from using the site.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
01-05-2017, 08:37 AM
It irritates me intensely that advertising is how so much of the internet makes money. I'm practically 100% ad-proof. Showing me an advert does nothing except irritate me, and when I want something I google it, compare reviews and select exactly what I want without reference to the claims of whichever ridiculous marketing department they have writing their drivel.

I'd cheerfully pay more to have an ad-free internet experience, but the thing that irritates me about *that* is the idea that these twits are then basically threatening me with terrible adverts unless I cough up. It's somewhat of a conundrum because at the same time advertising *is* a way for people to make money - if no advertising, no one ever finds out about your awesome product anyway. So I can see somewhat the necessity, but at the same time adverts are so goddamn irritating Angry

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-05-2017, 08:48 AM
(01-05-2017 08:23 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Watch a lot of gaming vids so those are my adsense. And Gwynnies. That's kinda awesome. People being all scared about surveillance and shit while I'm like know everything about me so's you never distract me. Heart

Got nothing to do with being all scared about surveillance, but the day I expose myself willingly to ads interrupting an interesting vid, is probably the day I should apply for a place at the asylum. I hate that slick shit with a vengeance and even mute my tv when there's a new set coming up.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
01-05-2017, 08:52 AM
The way I see it morondog, when everyone blocks the major advertisers website owners and other content producers will work directly with the people who want to advertise with the way it used to be on the internet before Adsense. That isn't as profitable of course as the spyware ad networks can deliver, but it will deliver a better user experience for everyone, and eradicate malvertising as we currently know it.

My Blog
[+] 1 user Likes Aractus's post
01-05-2017, 09:04 AM
(01-05-2017 08:52 AM)Aractus Wrote:  The way I see it morondog, when everyone blocks the major advertisers website owners and other content producers will work directly with the people who want to advertise with the way it used to be on the internet before Adsense. That isn't as profitable of course as the spyware ad networks can deliver, but it will deliver a better user experience for everyone, and eradicate malvertising as we currently know it.

I think you underestimate google, facebook et al. They've got endless money to throw at ensuring that advertising remains as profitable as can be to *them*, which means AdSense and such stuff. I mean, IIRC there were a bunch of lawsuits sponsored by those same fuckers aimed at making it illegal to install an ad-blocker on your own computer that you bought and paid for, a few years ago. Fortunately they couldn't make a good case for it and lost, but that kinda thing discourages good developers from making useful software if all it's gonna do is mire them in legal bullshit.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-05-2017, 04:33 PM
(30-04-2017 04:54 PM)Shirina Wrote:  Okay, enough ranting for now.

For now.

Might as well get used to me ranting about Trump and his gang of misfit incompetents.
Keep it coming :-)

I don't visit YouTube as a destination site, only incidentally where videos I am interested in happen to be hosted. That, and watching the stop-motion lego animations my 11 year old grandson posts on his channel. Haven't encountered any actual ads at all yet. But that may also be because I have the free version of AdBlock installed.

I have to say, though ... I'll take a transcript over a talking head video or narrated "news" story any day. They take too long to get to the point, most of the time.
01-05-2017, 06:36 PM
(01-05-2017 09:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  I think you underestimate google, facebook et al. They've got endless money to throw at ensuring that advertising remains as profitable as can be to *them*, which means AdSense and such stuff. I mean, IIRC there were a bunch of lawsuits sponsored by those same fuckers aimed at making it illegal to install an ad-blocker on your own computer that you bought and paid for, a few years ago. Fortunately they couldn't make a good case for it and lost, but that kinda thing discourages good developers from making useful software if all it's gonna do is mire them in legal bullshit.

I'm well aware of that, did you see my recent blog post all about that? I'm actually working on a little project as we speak to help spread awareness of the risk of malvertising.

Ask yourself this: is Google going to compensate you if you get pwnd with Ransomware and have to pay $600 to decrypt your files? Well, they served 900,000 ads with malware embedded through their ad network/s last year alone, and I haven't heard of them compensate a single victim who had their data ransomed or destroyed.

Anyway, the problem with this topic is that you cannot trust the majority of the web to give you an unbiased security assessment opinion on the risks associated with malvertising. The only websites that may be unbiased on this issue are, 1. the cybersecurity community/industry that doesn't have a conflict of interest (which obviously rules out Chrome Dev), and 12. those that don't use an ad network for advertising (which rules out the majority of news agencies).

To draw a similar comparison, Mythbusters was once prevented from doing a show about RFID in Credit Card security (tap & go)... because Mastercard, Visa, and American Express were big important advertisers on Discovery and would have pulled their ads. Since that time the security has gotten better BTW, but it's still vulnerable as exposed by Australian security researcher Peter Fillmore:

This was not reported by any mainstream Australian media making it very difficult to find that information - I wonder why?

My Blog
01-05-2017, 06:54 PM
(01-05-2017 06:36 PM)Aractus Wrote:  Anyway, the problem with this topic is that you cannot trust the majority of the web to give you an unbiased security assessment opinion on the risks associated with malvertising.

Can trust a flash drive to reinstall 10 with a click of a button. Security begins and ends at home.

living word
01-05-2017, 08:20 PM
(01-05-2017 06:54 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Can trust a flash drive to reinstall 10 with a click of a button. Security begins and ends at home.

The issue is your data though. Your photos, your documents, etc. Unless you make regular backups to external drives (which most people don't), then your data can be encrypted and held to ransom.

My Blog