I am now officially boycotting YouTube

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2017, 01:23 AM
RE: I am now officially boycotting YouTube
Wow, I leave for a few days and ...

First, to the person who posted about universal health care -- yeah, I know you can't implement it over night.

But we're not even making strides in that direction. Obama tried -- just a little bit -- and now it's all we can do to hang on to what we already have. There are far too many people who seem to enjoy having the same kind of health care the Jews had in Auschwitz.

Not only that, but recessions are inevitable -- and so is people losing their jobs. The recession we had in 2009 cost Americans, what, some 2 million jobs, I believe. Plus people lost significant amounts of their retirement savings. And for what? So a precious few could knowingly and willfully implode the economy in an unprecedented act of domestic terrorism, get obscenely rich in the process, and never face any criminal charges or even a civil suit.

A planned recession with people in the health insurance business knowing well in advance that their jobs are finished would be far less destructive than the 2009 recession *and* it would be for a good cause. For once, it's not about merely making the top 0.001% richer than they already are.

Health insurance wouldn't be the first industry to go the way of the dodo when times changed. The country would recover.

Secondly, I will try using one of these ad blockers and see how it goes. I didn't know these programs could block the ads that constantly interrupt YouTube videos.

"If my God exists, then the laws in the Bible should apply to everyone. I am certain my God exists, so ..." -- words of a theocratic fascist justifying theocratic fascism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2017, 08:01 AM
I'd even argue that the insurance industry wouldn't take as much of a hit as many Americans seem to think.

Even in Canada, with universal healthcare, we have a thriving health insurance industry that sells "top-up" plans to cover costs that provincial government plans do not cover, such as dentistry, eyecare (optometry, i.e., eyewear and exams, not serious opthamology, which is covered), upgrading to private rooms, some prescription drug coverage, some physiotherapy, and some mental health services (depending on the province). However, many of these costs are covered for those who qualify for social assistance, or for children (i.e. vaccinations, dental check-ups are free for those under 18). There are plenty of "extras" to sell.

This is the kind of optional benefits package that employers offer their employees, and that self-employed or early retirees can purchase separately (those over 65 get extra universal coverage). I have absolutely no problem with a free market for these kinds of services, given that basic preventative, curative, emergency, and palliative care are universally covered. (However, I do feel the provincial plans should be expanded to include increased coverage for prescription drugs and mental health services, IMO)

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
03-05-2017, 11:27 AM
(03-05-2017 01:23 AM)Shirina Wrote:  But we're not even making strides in that direction. Obama tried -- just a little bit -- and now it's all we can do to hang on to what we already have. There are far too many people who seem to enjoy having the same kind of health care the Jews had in Auschwitz.

That's not a valid comparison. The reason why you're not making progress is because of interest groups and stakeholders. I can't imagine the AMA wants to receive less money.

Quote:A planned recession with people in the health insurance business knowing well in advance that their jobs are finished would be far less destructive than the 2009 recession *and* it would be for a good cause. For once, it's not about merely making the top 0.001% richer than they already are.

I think you missed my point. It would be relatively straightforward to implement universal healthcare in the US, but it would have to be phased-in over time. You could start by giving public coverage to certain age groups and expand that over time until you get the whole of the population covered. I'm not an economist, but I would think that could be done over 15-20 years without causing a recession.

Quote:Secondly, I will try using one of these ad blockers and see how it goes. I didn't know these programs could block the ads that constantly interrupt YouTube videos.

Use uBlock Origin. It's a far superior product to Adblock & Adblock Plus, which is why it's the featured extension in Firefox and Edge.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2017, 05:09 PM
I've hardly ever seen an ad on Youtube.

Of course I don't exactly live there, and when I do go to look at something, it's usually pretty fringe.
Maybe they don't expect fringe viewers to buy much.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."