I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2014, 10:40 PM
RE: I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting
(14-10-2014 09:49 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Hate these fucking threads, usually they're useless and only result in a lot of shit talking and little action. If nothing else, I guess they serve as a cathartic way for users to get shit out of their system and everyone ends up making up and in the end we're all okay and things go on as usual. I rarely speak up unless things get really heated and I've had a couple too many drinks.

I'm thinking this one is different, and I think it should be. I agree with the overall sentiment of what's been said and I agree there needs to be a change. I think that the absence of the admins is not okay and this situation is a solid example of why. I have nothing against DL or Aurora, I think they are both solid people and great assets to the forum, just not as admins due to their lack of ability to provide us the leadership and oversight that a forum like this needs. It's just a need that's not being met.

I'm not necessarily sure that the outlined policies in the forum rules need to change, there has been some valuable thought put into them and I think that they are appropriate, if applied appropriately and consistently. What is needed is leadership that will apply themselves to doing so.

I completely get (and agree with) the yearning to uphold a standard of free speech that is usually unheard of in controversial forums like this, and I understand the reluctance to swing the hammer in light of that. However, it has become more and more obvious that there is a need for it as the forum grows and becomes more accessible to anyone and everyone to join and participate. There are a lot of stupid, sick people out there that simply need to be kept out of this place. Period.

If the people who can and should be doing that for the forum can't be around, then we simply need to find someone that can.

It would also be nice to actually hear a response from someone in charge on the matter. I think we are all waiting.

EH you said I was thinking only better.

IMO I would much rather see a banhammer swung a bit prematurely and then reversed if warranted than swung too late after great damage has been done. What happened to Losty is unacceptable and has to be prevented from happening again.

There are those here like Girly, Anj, DLJ, Mathilda, Vosur, Muffs, Rev, Guly, Chas, FSM, MSBB, TS, Smerc and others that have a much better grasp than me on how we as a forum should be run in order to keep order.

But one thing is perfectly clear to me, not doing anything is NOT acceptable. Things on this forum can develop very quickly and need to be handled expediently, and for that to happen the members of the FT have to be actively engaged. There just isn't another way.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Full Circle's post
14-10-2014, 10:48 PM
RE: I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-10-2014, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2014 11:00 PM by Losty.)
(14-10-2014 09:49 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
Hate these fucking threads, usually they're useless and only result in a lot of shit talking and little action. If nothing else, I guess they serve as a cathartic way for users to get shit out of their system and everyone ends up making up and in the end we're all okay and things go on as usual. I rarely speak up unless things get really heated and I've had a couple too many drinks.

I'm thinking this one is different, and I think it should be. I agree with the overall sentiment of what's been said and I agree there needs to be a change. I think that the absence of the admins is not okay and this situation is a solid example of why. I have nothing against DL or Aurora, I think they are both solid people and great assets to the forum, just not as admins due to their lack of ability to provide us the leadership and oversight that a forum like this needs. It's just a need that's not being met.

I'm not necessarily sure that the outlined policies in the forum rules need to change, there has been some valuable thought put into them and I think that they are appropriate, if applied appropriately and consistently. What is needed is leadership that will apply themselves to doing so.

I completely get (and agree with) the yearning to uphold a standard of free speech that is usually unheard of in controversial forums like this, and I understand the reluctance to swing the hammer in light of that. However, it has become more and more obvious that there is a need for it as the forum grows and becomes more accessible to anyone and everyone to join and participate. There are a lot of stupid, sick people out there that simply need to be kept out of this place. Period.

If the people who can and should be doing that for the forum can't be around, then we simply need to find someone that can.
It would also be nice to actually hear a response from someone in charge on the matter. I think we are all waiting.

I completely agree with you, and thank you for posting. I know everyone is like, oh the drama I don't want to be involved. I really hope more people will speak up though. I'm probably going to get annoying soon and start guilting people into giving their opinions. Angel

Whatever your opinion is please post it. If you think I'm just making a big deal out of nothing that's fine, no hard feelings. The thing is that this isn't just a big deal for me. Yes, I was affected personally. My feelings were hurt because my safety and emotional well being wasn't taken into consideration, but in the end (well the end for me and the beginning of WC here) I folded. That was my fault and I will admit to it and I have apologized. I told them not to ban WC for me (not that they were going to anyways but I gave up the fight). I said, give him his chance and let him hang himself. The funny thing is he did hang himself over and over. Not only by his own rule breaking but by an influx of information from everyone who already knew anything about him. And who was here to take care of it? No one. That isn't acceptable. I'm not asking for a change of policy. The current policy is great so long as it's enforced. Not that there's anyone around to enforce it. What kind of forum has admins that never interact with the members? And why don't the admins have to take any responsibility for what they don't do?
We need admins who are around (preferably 3 but that's just my opinion).

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 4 users Like Losty's post
14-10-2014, 11:02 PM
(14-10-2014 10:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I think I finally figured out why I don't like the doors, they need a better drummer. The whole song he's just bam! bam! bam!.....makes it tedious and hard to listen to.

Just sayin'.....Jim was a funny dude to listen to....

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
14-10-2014, 11:06 PM
(14-10-2014 11:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 10:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I think I finally figured out why I don't like the doors, they need a better drummer. The whole song he's just bam! bam! bam!.....makes it tedious and hard to listen to.

Just sayin'.....Jim was a funny dude to listen to....

Cool story. Needs more dragons. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-10-2014, 03:06 AM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2014 03:19 AM by Losty.)
I like my women like I like my coffee...

...with no penis.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 9 users Like Losty's post
15-10-2014, 03:26 AM
Funny how both admins have been online and still nothing. I guess tomorrow I will make a thread in the ftm and see if the have anything to say. I'll just have to let them know ahead of time that I plan to copy/paste anything the do say directly into this thread.

Eta: not tomorrow just later today after I get a little sleep.

[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
15-10-2014, 03:37 AM
(15-10-2014 03:06 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I like my women like I like my coffee...

...with no penis.

Losty, where do you get your coffee? I've seen options for light or dark roast and 100% arabica beans, but I've never seen penis on offer.

I'm just saying...

Look, I'm just asking for a friend...

No, I can't tell you who...

No, stop giving me that look...

Okay! Alright already...

I'ts Muffs...

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-10-2014, 03:40 AM
People's lives change, sometimes you can spend time on a forum and manage it, other times you can't. It's no problem to add more admins as long as they are people you trust. There are a lot of super mods and mods here that are trustworthy. You don't even need to make them admin, you can just give them powers to ban.

Generally you can't rely on unbanning someone because by that time the damage has already been done. The mods needs to have a united front. This means having threads in a secret area and discussing it (which no doubt happens here). But it's not hard to create a consensus. As long as the rules and the ethos of the site are very clear then there should not be a problem. It works on other forums because the mods have to earn the trust and then they are trusted to run the place.

The word 'micromanaging' was used. This suggests a lack of trust.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
15-10-2014, 03:42 AM
Re:
Quote:Forbes has been banned for violations of Rules 1, 3, and 5.

But not rule 4?

It seems to me that making threats against other members should be grounds for insta-ban, but apparently it doesn't even qualify for honorable mention. Consider

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 5 users Like Can_of_Beans's post