I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2014, 08:46 AM
RE: I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting
My general opinion is that extensively complaining about a free service run mostly by well-intentioned volunteers is usually unwarranted. In this specific situation, I think there are some valid issues, but the complaints are a bit blown out of proportion. The treatment of WickedClown seems to be the main catalyst. While the way he was dealt with was a bit "slow" by most of our standards, he was ultimately dealt with (sock puppets aside). But he was a huge manipulator, playing different roles in order to last as long as he could. I try to understand how WickedClown actually bothered people, and I sort of get it. But I also partially agree with Hughsie that choosing to not use the built-in functions such as blocking/ignoring is kind of irresponsible if you are legitimately bothered/fearful. My suggestion if a member really makes you feel unsafe would be to block them and then message a mod/supermod/admin with specific reasons why you feel the person is unsafe and should be banned.

Regarding specific suggestions, I don't think giving supermods permaban ability would be inappropriate. I also think that there is a decent point to switching admins when the current ones are inactive. However, this isn't a democracy, and popular vote doesn't make the change happen.

I hope things calm down, hating on each other is sad and makes me feel like I'm watching my family fighting. I do appreciate the work the forum team does. It's not perfect, but nothing is. But hey, time is our most valuable resource, and you guys are giving it up for the sake of this forum, so thank you.

I know my opinion won't be popular, as they rarely are. I wish I could say more, but I'm way out of time. Maybe I'll try to elaborate more later...

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2014, 08:49 AM
RE: I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting
(15-10-2014 06:44 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 06:00 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I'm sorry, I shouldn't pressure people. It's just that this is really important to me and I want to see something done. Sorry.

It's okay, we understand. Hug

I wish your understanding could change something. I mean I appreciate that you do Hug Heart
I know it's hard and I won't pressure anyone but hypothetically I would love to see what it would look like if every member of the forum team shared their opinion in this thread. Even if their opinion is, you know, fuck off Losty stop stirring up shit no one cares about your problems. Lol. Seriously if everyone shared their opinion that would be super awesome. Hypothetically. No pressure Angel

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
15-10-2014, 08:52 AM
(15-10-2014 08:46 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  My general opinion is that extensively complaining about a free service run mostly by well-intentioned volunteers is usually unwarranted. In this specific situation, I think there are some valid issues, but the complaints are a bit blown out of proportion. The treatment of WickedClown seems to be the main catalyst. While the way he was dealt with was a bit "slow" by most of our standards, he was ultimately dealt with (sock puppets aside). But he was a huge manipulator, playing different roles in order to last as long as he could. I try to understand how WickedClown actually bothered people, and I sort of get it. But I also partially agree with Hughsie that choosing to not use the built-in functions such as blocking/ignoring is kind of irresponsible if you are legitimately bothered/fearful. My suggestion if a member really makes you feel unsafe would be to block them and then message a mod/supermod/admin with specific reasons why you feel the person is unsafe and should be banned.

Regarding specific suggestions, I don't think giving supermods permaban ability would be inappropriate. I also think that there is a decent point to switching admins when the current ones are inactive. However, this isn't a democracy, and popular vote doesn't make the change happen.

I hope things calm down, hating on each other is sad and makes me feel like I'm watching my family fighting. I do appreciate the work the forum team does. It's not perfect, but nothing is. But hey, time is our most valuable resource, and you guys are giving it up for the sake of this forum, so thank you.

I know my opinion won't be popular, as they rarely are. I wish I could say more, but I'm way out of time. Maybe I'll try to elaborate more later...

This is not the first time this circus has been in town. This is a regular occurrence and it is caused by the behavior of the admins.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-10-2014, 09:01 AM
(15-10-2014 08:46 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  My general opinion is that extensively complaining about a free service run mostly by well-intentioned volunteers is usually unwarranted. In this specific situation, I think there are some valid issues, but the complaints are a bit blown out of proportion. The treatment of WickedClown seems to be the main catalyst. While the way he was dealt with was a bit "slow" by most of our standards, he was ultimately dealt with (sock puppets aside). But he was a huge manipulator, playing different roles in order to last as long as he could. I try to understand how WickedClown actually bothered people, and I sort of get it. But I also partially agree with Hughsie that choosing to not use the built-in functions such as blocking/ignoring is kind of irresponsible if you are legitimately bothered/fearful. My suggestion if a member really makes you feel unsafe would be to block them and then message a mod/supermod/admin with specific reasons why you feel the person is unsafe and should be banned.

Your opinion is fine. I understand how you feel. I don't want to be here starting drama. I wanted the admins to post a thread saying hey guys this is what happened with WC, this is where we believe we went wrong, and this is what we plan to do in the future to protect our members. Besides from my PTSD and the fact that I spend my time literally running from and hiding out from a very dangerous ex which means things like this terrify me and threaten to send me into a mental breakdown, besides from that, people like WC can pose a very real threat in places like this. First with the sharing of someone's private information on a large forum and second if the next time it's someone who literally wants to hurt someone. These things pose a serious threat to all forum members. So I thought the admins would think that's important.
But then I remembered, what admins? So I posted this thread. Besides from WC I haven't been hating on anyone. I love everyone at this forum. Well I mean I don't know who aurora is but I'm sure she's a great person.
No one is being hated on. No one is fighting. Some people are just incapable of doing their job for whatever reason and they need to step down and let someone who can handle the responsibilities of running a forum take over. I'm making a big deal because I care.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
15-10-2014, 09:12 AM

A complaint often put out is "This is a volunteer staff" and that is true, however, even as a volunteer there are responsibilities you sign up for when you accept the position. If you are unable to fulfill those responsibilities you should step down and allow someone who could fulfill them to take the position. No one has to be on the forum team and if they are not able to put the running of the forum high on their list of priorities then they should not be on the forum team.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 11 users Like Revenant77x's post
15-10-2014, 09:34 AM
(15-10-2014 08:46 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  But I also partially agree with Hughsie that choosing to not use the built-in functions such as blocking/ignoring is kind of irresponsible if you are legitimately bothered/fearful. My suggestion if a member really makes you feel unsafe would be to block them and then message a mod/supermod/admin with specific reasons why you feel the person is unsafe and should be banned.

The exception to that would be police involvement. If the troll's behavior is known to extend into people's private life, such as stalking outside of the forum, and the police needs to get involved, the police wants to see evidence, such as PMs, email etc.

From what I read (correct me if wrong) Losty did go to the police and had deleted the evidence. So she got a reassuring pat on the shoulder and the instructions not to delete.

So, if you are gathering official evidence against someone who is committing criminal acts, it is advisable to let evidence accumulate, and not to ignore.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
15-10-2014, 09:40 AM
I missed the whole WC debacle, aside from a few weird posts of his I read, and can't really comment on how the forum is being run. So, you're probably now wondering "so why the fuck are you chiming in?"

It's a fair question. And, it's mostly to say this: if you are providing enough information on a forum that people can figure out your name, where you live, etc., then you need to rethink how you interact on these forums. I'm not excusing WC's behavior or taking any position on proposed changes of admins. I'm just starting there are a lot of seriously fucked up people in the world and the internet gives them the means to highlight how sick they are. No matter what else happens, you should think about what clues you give about who you are and adjust accordingly. Moderating and banning people only masks the problem. If you don't feel safe, not letting someone post doesn't make you any safer.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
15-10-2014, 09:43 AM
(15-10-2014 09:40 AM)BnW Wrote:  I missed the whole WC debacle, aside from a few weird posts of his I read, and can't really comment on how the forum is being run. So, you're probably now wondering "so why the fuck are you chiming in?"

It's a fair question. And, it's mostly to say this: if you are providing enough information on a forum that people can figure out your name, where you live, etc., then you need to rethink how you interact on these forums. I'm not excusing WC's behavior or taking any position on proposed changes of admins. I'm just starting there are a lot of seriously fucked up people in the world and the internet gives them the means to highlight how sick they are. No matter what else happens, you should think about what clues you give about who you are and adjust accordingly. Moderating and banning people only masks the problem. If you don't feel safe, not letting someone post doesn't make you any safer.

While that is good sense, it doesn't speak to the issue of getting such people off the forum.

15-10-2014, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2014 10:11 AM by WitchSabrina.)
(15-10-2014 08:49 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 06:44 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  It's okay, we understand. Hug

I wish your understanding could change something. I mean I appreciate that you do Hug Heart
I know it's hard and I won't pressure anyone but hypothetically I would love to see what it would look like if every member of the forum team shared their opinion in this thread. Even if their opinion is, you know, fuck off Losty stop stirring up shit no one cares about your problems. Lol. Seriously if everyone shared their opinion that would be super awesome. Hypothetically. No pressure Angel

Well people do care or no one would be talking.
Id like to say YES for Chas as admin. He's here. He cares. He's fair minded and cares about this place.
Did i mention that he cares?

Now that doesnt mean others don't care. I know they do. But Chas can spot a troll from 30 paces and he's here everyday.....helping us all.

My 2 cents worth.

This Forbes troll getting shut down in an hour of a violation is/was good work...
But Chas would have banned him and threads like this wouldnt happen.

Chas please.

(Holds lighter in the air.....lit)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
15-10-2014, 10:20 AM
(15-10-2014 09:57 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 08:49 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I wish your understanding could change something. I mean I appreciate that you do Hug Heart

Well people do care or no one would be talking.
Id like to say YES for Chas as admin. He's here. He cares. He's fair minded and cares about this place.
Did i mention that he cares?

Now that doesnt mean others don't care. I know they do. But Chas can spot a troll from 30 paces and he's here everyday.....helping us all.

My 2 cents worth.

This Forbes troll getting shut down in an hour of a violation is/was good work...
But Chas would have banned him and threads like this wouldnt happen.

Chas please.

(Holds lighter in the air.....lit)

Maybe you could cast a spell ... ? Consider