I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2014, 11:16 AM
DLJ and Vosur?
(15-10-2014 10:59 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 10:54 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Before people get sidetracked can we please focus on the issue of inactive admins and if the current admins are going to step down or not.

edit: going to sleep, Ill pop back in in the afternoon when I wake up.

They're not muffsie. They should but they definitely are not going to just step down. If we cause enough of a stir perhaps they'll notice.

Maybe if everyone PMs them and respectfully and politely asks that they either step up and be admins or step down and allow someone who has the time to take their places. (Wink wink DLJ and Vosur Wink )
[Image: Henry-VIII1.jpg][Image: 7925669556_10434327e9_z.jpg]

What could possibly go wrong? Angel

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-10-2014, 11:17 AM
RE: I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting
(15-10-2014 11:14 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  I don't think Skype is required for my point Hughsie - I entirely understand that life gets in the way of being an admin for a forum, my issue is that if there are only two of them then that is not enough where only admins have a final say in banning people.

Admins need to have a presence on the forum if parts of their role as admins cannot be performed by others on the FT.

Firstly, we now have a usergroup that prevents people from contacting anyone beyond the FT. SMs can put any rule breaker in there until Admins are online. That should help solve the problem and is already in place (as evidenced by Forbes). Secondly, in my opinion the whole "absent Admins" thing is being a little overplayed. Aurora checks in every day without fail and DL is on a lot of the time.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
15-10-2014, 11:19 AM
RE: I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting
The admins don't need to step down. They just need to promote some more admins. If they step down and two more admins take their place then there will still only be two admins who have to on the forum ready and available.

Of course you can go too far the other way and give too many people admin rights but it's easy to find a happy medium.

As for privacy, I learnt the hard way about 20 years ago. The internet has a long memory. I now have different identities on-line with different names and avatars. I also try not to give away too much information that might reveal anything about me if an obsessive stalker ever wanted to spend their lives wading through all my posts. Sometimes when I am in doubt I re-read the post wondering what search terms would give a stalker the necessary information to track me down.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
15-10-2014, 11:20 AM
(15-10-2014 11:06 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  See, here's the issue. I have read this entire thread and I still don't know exactly what people's problem is. Regarding the Admins, there are private circumstances to do with both of them right now, that's life. No-one can dedicate themselves to the forum 24 hours a day. I'll happily share more when they are happy for me to do so. But as for what hasn't been done that people think should have been (or what has been done that people think shouldn't have been), no idea. I've got a lot of people saying WC, not many giving me anything tangible to pass up the ladder.

I've asked before and I'll ask again, if anyone actually wants to Skype me to discuss what they would like to see done differently, I'm all ears. I think that would be great. This is the third time I've said it and so far I've had one person say they would like to at some undetermined future point. So, anyone who wants to constructively give me something to pass on that I can work with, shoot me a PM.

Funny thing is, no one is asking you to do anything. You and I obviously disagree about the WC thing. Fine that's life people disagree.
The admins are inactive. It doesn't matter why. I don't want you to tell us why. I want them to actually be active and if they can't then I want them to hand over the reigns to someone who can. I'm not upset because they have lives outside the forum. I'm upset because if they don't have the time there's no reason for them to stay admins.
I am on Skype right now and would be glad to add you to the call, though I will throw out there that I will probably just type because I'm a cry baby and I like to be quiet in group calls.

I have PMd both admins I really hope to see a response.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
15-10-2014, 11:21 AM
(15-10-2014 11:19 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The admins don't need to step down. They just need to promote some more admins. If they step down and two more admins take their place then there will still only be two admins who have to on the forum ready and available.

Of course you can go too far the other way and give too many people admin rights but it's easy to find a happy medium.

As for privacy, I learnt the hard way about 20 years ago. The internet has a long memory. I now have different identities on-line with different names and avatars. I also try not to give away too much information that might reveal anything about me if an obsessive stalker ever wanted to spend their lives wading through all my posts. Sometimes when I am in doubt I re-read the post wondering what search terms would give a stalker the necessary information to track me down.

I'm fine with aurora stepping down and then 2 more admins being promoted. I already said we need more than 2 admins, but we don't need admins that are inactive either way.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
15-10-2014, 11:23 AM
(15-10-2014 11:20 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Funny thing is, no one is asking you to do anything. You and I obviously disagree about the WC thing. Fine that's life people disagree.
The admins are inactive. It doesn't matter why. I don't want you to tell us why. I want them to actually be active and if they can't then I want them to hand over the reigns to someone who can. I'm not upset because they have lives outside the forum. I'm upset because if they don't have the time there's no reason for them to stay admins.
I am on Skype right now and would be glad to add you to the call, though I will throw out there that I will probably just type because I'm a cry baby and I like to be quiet in group calls.

Sure, I can Skype. Give me a call.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
15-10-2014, 11:23 AM
(15-10-2014 11:17 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 11:14 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  I don't think Skype is required for my point Hughsie - I entirely understand that life gets in the way of being an admin for a forum, my issue is that if there are only two of them then that is not enough where only admins have a final say in banning people.

Admins need to have a presence on the forum if parts of their role as admins cannot be performed by others on the FT.

Firstly, we now have a usergroup that prevents people from contacting anyone beyond the FT. SMs can put any rule breaker in there until Admins are online. That should help solve the problem and is already in place (as evidenced by Forbes). Secondly, in my opinion the whole "absent Admins" thing is being a little overplayed. Aurora checks in every day without fail and DL is on a lot of the time.

Yes that would be absentee as far as an Admin is concerned. For that position there should be one online more or less all the time. If we need to add more people to do that then so be it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
15-10-2014, 11:31 AM
(15-10-2014 11:21 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I'm fine with aurora stepping down and then 2 more admins being promoted. I already said we need more than 2 admins, but we don't need admins that are inactive either way.

There's nothing wrong with an absent admin if decisions can be made without them.

I'm an admin on another forum. I wish I wasn't to be honest but I check in occasionally and help discuss things when things get difficult. They have a really large moderator team but they still always reach a consensus. Although they don't allow for any political or religious discussion so I suppose that's easier.

On another forum I ended up sole admin and it was a nightmare. I sometimes had help from a second admin but it can really wear you down. The fact is that real life does take priority.

From what I can tell TTA has a good forum team. There just needs to be a little bit more empowerment that's all.
15-10-2014, 11:38 AM
(15-10-2014 11:17 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  

Firstly, we now have a usergroup that prevents people from contacting anyone beyond the FT. SMs can put any rule breaker in there until Admins are online. That should help solve the problem and is already in place (as evidenced by Forbes).

That is a band-aid that doesn't address the problem of nothing being done in a timely fashion.

Quote:Secondly, in my opinion the whole "absent Admins" thing is being a little overplayed. Aurora checks in every day without fail and DL is on a lot of the time.

That is simply untrue - aurora and DL are both absent for days at a time. I posted some evidence of that a couple of days ago.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-10-2014, 11:51 AM
(15-10-2014 11:23 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 11:20 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Funny thing is, no one is asking you to do anything. You and I obviously disagree about the WC thing. Fine that's life people disagree.

Sure, I can Skype. Give me a call.

That went very well. Thank you for the call Hug
For some reason I am always surprised by your accent. I expect like American military sergeant voice lol. I don't know why.