I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2014, 05:07 PM
RE: I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting
(15-10-2014 05:03 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 04:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The rules are clearly outlined but even so there are different opinions among the FT (and forum as a whole) whether or not someone is breaking them.
"what is classified as spam?" for example.

That is the reason why you start a thread in the mod section and discuss it until a consensus is formed.

You seem to be under the impression that the mods, supermods and admins can't discuss things amongst themselves and form a consensus.

I can attest that it works in practice.

I didn't say they couldn't...
I said it would be inefficient.

Look, this isn't another forum, this is this forum. Here we've always had 1 or 2 admins that run the show and offer their own personality to the job. That's the way things have always been done here and how they should continue.

Dark Light and Aurora are both inactive and are not right for the admin position. Both would make fine vets though.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
15-10-2014, 05:07 PM
RE: I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting
(15-10-2014 05:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 04:57 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  They don't need to resign.

Under the current set up and the way Moderating works on this forum they do need to step aside.

Well I am not that familiar with the way the moderating team is set up so I will have to take your word on that unless you care to explain.

It does suggest then that the current set up should be changed though.
15-10-2014, 05:08 PM
RE: I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing
TTA forum is the sum of its members and IMO there are incredible personalities here making this place a real gem. I for one feel a personal attachment to the people here and so it follows that I have a personal stake in the forum.

The FT can choose to handle this situation in several ways and I would hope that the one taken is to acknowledge the issue and to keep us, the forum at large, in the loop of what if anything is being contemplated and the why.

The other way is secrecy or inaction and I would hope you can see how this would make members like me feel disenfranchised. Maybe I'm deluding myself that my presence and input, and that of all those who have expressed their concerns regarding this issue, is valued by the FT.

I'd like to think is.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
15-10-2014, 05:09 PM
(15-10-2014 05:05 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 04:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yes they do. They're inactive in a position that requires activity.

Then add more admins rather than demand that the existing ones resign otherwise you are just perpetuating the problem.

wtf no you're not..
The problem is they're inactive. If you replace them with active admins you solve the problem! I don't understand how you don't understand...

15-10-2014, 05:11 PM
(15-10-2014 05:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 05:03 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  You seem to be under the impression that the mods, supermods and admins can't discuss things amongst themselves and form a consensus.

I can attest that it works in practice.

On this forum?

No, on another forum. I'm just a regular member on here so I may be talking out of my arse because I am unaware of certain issues that no one is mentioning.

I didn't even know what the whole saga with WC was about for example. I just get annoyed with people not properly arguing their case and stating things as fact without any explanation.

I'll butt out now though.
15-10-2014, 05:12 PM
(15-10-2014 05:07 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 05:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Under the current set up and the way Moderating works on this forum they do need to step aside.

Well I am not that familiar with the way the moderating team is set up so I will have to take your word on that unless you care to explain.

It does suggest then that the current set up should be changed though.

You're commenting on the FT set-up, you should understand it if you're offering advice.
I've already explained it in this thread but basically there are 2 admins, they make a decision based on the rules and common sense and apply the banhammer or whatever. In the case of a deadlock the super mods decide.

This model works absolutely fine, there is nothing too wrong with it.
The issue is not the system, the issue is the fact that both admins are inactive.

It's not a hard fucking issue to understand...

15-10-2014, 05:12 PM
(15-10-2014 05:07 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Here we've always had 1 or 2 admins that run the show and offer their own personality to the job. That's the way things have always been done here and how they should continue.

Well if it works then fine, stick with it.
15-10-2014, 05:14 PM
(15-10-2014 05:12 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 05:07 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Here we've always had 1 or 2 admins that run the show and offer their own personality to the job. That's the way things have always been done here and how they should continue.

Well if it works then fine, stick with it.

It does work but we need active admins for it work.
Hence, issue.

edit: I'm going to have my lunch before they sell out of pizza bread.

15-10-2014, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2014 05:26 PM by Losty.)
(15-10-2014 04:22 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 11:06 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  See, here's the issue. I have read this entire thread and I still don't know exactly what people's problem is. Regarding the Admins, there are private circumstances to do with both of them right now, that's life. No-one can dedicate themselves to the forum 24 hours a day. I'll happily share more when they are happy for me to do so. But as for what hasn't been done that people think should have been (or what has been done that people think shouldn't have been), no idea. I've got a lot of people saying WC, not many giving me anything tangible to pass up the ladder.

I've asked before and I'll ask again, if anyone actually wants to Skype me to discuss what they would like to see done differently, I'm all ears. I think that would be great. This is the third time I've said it and so far I've had one person say they would like to at some undetermined future point. So, anyone who wants to constructively give me something to pass on that I can work with, shoot me a PM.

Exactly, they have private circumstances that keep them from their responsibilities as admins. Nobody here is saying they're not good forum members, what we're saying is that they make terrible admins because they don't even post here.

24hours has gone by, both admins have been online but neither has commented. Aurora's last post was 16 days ago, DL's was 9 days ago.
That's not good enough.

Not only that, Aurora is totally unwilling to actually do the administrative job she agreed to do. Both agreed to the job, nobody forced them into that position and so they have an obligation. Yes nobody can be on the forum 24/7 but 9days, 16days, never posting etc.. isn't good enough.

It doesn't matter that they have personal life commitments, in fact if anything that is even more reason they need to step down, they committed to a job and they're failing to make that commitment and so they should step down as admin.

Honestly, you'd make a better admin right now Hughsie. At least you bother to respond to people. I'm dead fucking serious when I say that they need to go.
They need to step down and you need to be promoted to admin temporarily until two new admins can be decided (Vobama and Jeff Goldblum imo).

Quote:The admins don't need to step down. They just need to promote some more admins.

No, they need to step down. Things become cluttered if we have like 5 admins.
We need 1 or 2 max IMO.

Quote:There is no reason for them to step down. What I have observed through the series of banhammerers I've seen is that wielding the banhammer invariably and inevitably results in the gradual dissolution of the virtual persona pre-banhammer. As they take their responsibility seriously, they reign in their own participation to try and stay as neutral and objective as possible. In every case until DarkIsTheNewLight and AuroraBorealis I've seen the banhammer take its toll. They seem to be handling it well so far.

That, and they're likely spending a lot of their time taking shit from both sides.

There is perfectly good reason for them to step down. 16days, 9days, 7posts in a month. Complete disconnect from the community due to inactivity.
They're not vets, they're admins. They need to be active members of the forum and neither one of them currently is.

I've also PMd them both with very nice polite pm and even though DL was definitely on today I haven't gotten any response.
I agree with you completely except I think we need 3 admins. I thinking keeping DL and adding Vobama and DLJ would work well as they're in the right time zones that we could almost always have an admin handy. All day every day. And I think that's important.

Everything else you've said is spot on. Heart
Only problem being, I suppose we can't force DLJ into taking the spot as admin. I do think we could bribe him maybe...with umm...favours Wink

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
15-10-2014, 05:16 PM
(15-10-2014 05:09 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 05:05 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Then add more admins rather than demand that the existing ones resign otherwise you are just perpetuating the problem.

wtf no you're not..
The problem is they're inactive. If you replace them with active admins you solve the problem! I don't understand how you don't understand...

My point was that in the same way you don't just have a single admin on here 24/7 but two admins to share the work load, having more admins shares the work load even more.

People's lives change so the next two admins will eventually find some time in their future that they can't devote as much time as before. But then DL and Aurora might well be able to spend more time by then so nothing needs to then change.

That wasn't too hard a concept was it?