I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2014, 06:36 AM
RE: I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting
(08-11-2014 04:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 04:09 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I just found this thread, read about 10 pages, skipped to the last two pages but...

Assuming using the ban hammer is still an issue, why don't we make a purgatory class? Where people sentenced to purgatory can only post in one designated thread, pending review of a ban. Anyone can post in the purgatory thread, but those sentenced to purgatory can only post in the purgatory thread. So a troll will quickly become bored, but those who feel wrongly accused can still make a case for themselves without having to rely on others.

Yup. Dom suggested that a while ago. Hughsie has started building it. Work in progress.

Pointless waste of time. Obvious trolls are obvious.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
08-11-2014, 10:52 AM
I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting
(08-11-2014 06:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 04:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yup. Dom suggested that a while ago. Hughsie has started building it. Work in progress.

Not necessarily. It may increase the likelihood of a mod actually using this rather than a ban (it sounded like this was a main issue, correct me if I'm wrong). In which case the person in question is quite literally put on hold and cannot access any other part of the forum (including pms and profile pages) other than that one thread/section. So the person is basically banned, but it gives the mods all the time in the world to discuss a ban in order to save people (like Res Republica).

The way I see it, both parties get their way; members would now be more safe while mods can thoroughly talk through a ban (although in some cases is not needed, I realize this, but at least there is something being done and we all still have our freedom of speech and not just an illusion as was mentioned earlier in the thread, and we don't need to change everything about the forum).

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
08-11-2014, 02:09 PM
RE: I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting
(08-11-2014 10:52 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  The way I see it, both parties get their way; members would now be more safe while mods can thoroughly talk through a ban (although in some cases is not needed, I realize this, but at least there is something being done and we all still have our freedom of speech and not just an illusion as was mentioned earlier in the thread, and we don't need to change everything about the forum).

Strewth, you'd think banning some fella meant banishing him to the outer reaches of hell, not just that he can't log on and be an annoying ass on the forum.

Don't get me wrong, I used to be a free-speech CHAMPION. But then I got really annoyed by a bunch of pricks and now I'm a conservative.

Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
08-11-2014, 03:50 PM
(08-11-2014 04:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yup. Dom suggested that a while ago. Hughsie has started building it. Work in progress.

It's still all in the eye of the beholder.

Which is problematic, insofar as if the beholder in question is so terrified of false positives they'll happily let through false negatives...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
08-11-2014, 04:45 PM

What if a person was just extremely stupid and/or ignorant, but not malicious and therefore only seeming to be a troll?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-11-2014, 04:46 PM
(08-11-2014 04:45 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 06:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  Pointless waste of time. Obvious trolls are obvious.

What if a person was just extremely stupid and/or ignorant, but not malicious and therefore only seeming to be a troll?

Then what was the loss?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-11-2014, 04:59 PM
(08-11-2014 04:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 04:45 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  What if a person was just extremely stupid and/or ignorant, but not malicious and therefore only seeming to be a troll?

Then what was the loss?

Not sure I'd be all that good with banning non-malicious stupid people because trolls are stupid people as well...

Besides, it'd be dull if we didn't have trolls or dumb every once in a while.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-11-2014, 05:37 PM
(08-11-2014 04:59 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 04:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Then what was the loss?

Not sure I'd be all that good with banning non-malicious stupid people because trolls are stupid people as well...

We let them in. We poke them with sticks. We show them the door. That seems like the smartest option to me but I honestly couldn't care less if we ban them or not. You want to keep the trolls keep them. I know places I can go to be troll free for a break. I just don't want dangerous people. I don't think they should be put in the corner for deliberation. If someone is dangerous you slam the door in their face. You don't say "oh but he was only dangerous at my neighbor's house so let's let him in until he proves himself dangerous here too" that makes no sense.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 6 users Like Losty's post
08-11-2014, 05:39 PM
(08-11-2014 05:37 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 04:59 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Not sure I'd be all that good with banning non-malicious stupid people because trolls are stupid people as well...

I don't think they should be put in the corner for deliberation. If someone is dangerous you slam the door in their face. You don't say "oh but he was only dangerous at my neighbor's house so let's let him in until he proves himself dangerous here too" that makes no sense.

That we can agree on.

[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
08-11-2014, 05:53 PM
(08-11-2014 04:59 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 04:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Then what was the loss?

I mean anyone dumb enough to get mistaken for a troll is no real loss.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post