I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2014, 06:47 PM
RE: I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting
(14-10-2014 06:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Oats and haggis soaked in Scotch?

Irn-bru, tablet, shortbread and other sugar filled treats of diabetes Thumbsup

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2014, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 14-10-2014 06:53 PM by earmuffs.)
RE: I am only slightly appalled that the admins have said nothing still, I'm done waiting
(14-10-2014 06:40 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I guess I fail to see the reason why a permaban is only left to the admins.

What I'd like to see:
Moderator can enforce a ban
Supermod can enforce a ban AND unban - has to give public justification for unbanning someone
Admin has final decision if the person is controversial and people are claiming someone should/should not be reinstated - has to give public justification if they unban someone

Is it because there is a fear of banning someone like Res Republica? He's controversial, sure, but he makes for interesting dialogue. He allows for contributions from a completely different viewpoint. I haven't seen anyone call for a ban of someone like this, and I think people would speak up if they disagree with a ban of a controversial member. Then again, what do I know, I'm not a vet.

I disagree. I like that only admin's can ban. The concept is very good. We don't ban many people (except sock puppets and spam bots) and when we do it's usually someone controversial. They come on and make a fuss and so the FT usually have time to discuss it and then make a decision to ban or not.

The issue we have now is that SM's and Admins aren't active enough and so discussion behind closed doors either a) doesn't happen or b) takes a very long time to happen. And then if a decision is made and the situation changes, you need to start the whole discussion process all over again which takes more time etc.. Basically resulting in nothing getting done. It's the sole reason you need active admin's and sm's.

If we had good active Admin's and SM's, then banning wouldn't be an issue because the discussions could take place and a decision could quickly be made and so the need for moderators to be able to ban would not exist.

The reason you believe moderators should be able to ban right now is because there is poor admin/sm's. The solution is not giving more power to the moderators, the solution is to bump those active moderators into higher powered positions and remove the inactive ones from higher positions to lower positions where their inactivity isn't such a burden on the forum.

Quote:I'm flattered, Muffs.

You've been here for a while. You're an active member. You contribute in a positive way. You're non-controversial. You should have been made a vet ages ago.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
14-10-2014, 06:53 PM
(14-10-2014 06:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 06:26 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  It's the Scottish diet Dodgy

Oats and haggis soaked in Scotch?

Can I just get a glass o that scotch? Shy

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
14-10-2014, 06:54 PM
I was always told that the super mods are essentially the admins right hand man, if the admins aren't here the supermods are in charge, the whole admin only thing may be due to me banning (justifiably) chippy or some other piece of shit when I left.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
14-10-2014, 06:55 PM
(14-10-2014 06:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 06:40 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I guess I fail to see the reason why a permaban is only left to the admins.

What I'd like to see:
Moderator can enforce a ban - has to give public justification for banning someone
Supermod can enforce a ban AND unban - has to give public justification for unbanning someone
Admin has final decision if the person is controversial and people are claiming someone should/should not be reinstated - has to give public justification if they unban someone

Fix't it for you. Big Grin

K. I'm cool with that. Thumbsup

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
14-10-2014, 06:57 PM
(14-10-2014 06:53 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 06:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Oats and haggis soaked in Scotch?

Can I just get a glass o that scotch? Shy

I'll drink to that! Cheers! Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
14-10-2014, 07:00 PM
(14-10-2014 06:54 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I was always told that the super mods are essentially the admins right hand man, if the admins aren't here the supermods are in charge, the whole admin only thing may be due to me banning (justifiably) chippy or some other piece of shit when I left.

It was suppose to be 2 admins, 3 SM's. 2 admins make a decision. In the case of a conflict (ie: one wants to ban, one doesn't) the SM's break the deadlock.

In theory this is good. One issue though is like when KC was an admin. Because Aurora is inactive and only shows up occasionally KC was basically dictator (which was fine IMO, he was a very good person for the job). HOWEVER he was unable to dictate because Aurora would show up occasionally and disagree with him (just pure speculation conspiracy here but I think Deep would email her or something and ask her to come and make an appearance if Deep didn't agree with KC) which means the SM's would have to break the deadlock. As a result the SM's were able to basically hold KC back from being a good dictator.

edit: I'm going to get some lunch. I'll pop back in in 1.5-2.5hours.

edit2: 13,000th post.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
14-10-2014, 07:02 PM
(14-10-2014 07:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It was suppose to be 2 admins, 3 SM's. 2 admins make a decision. In the case of a conflict (ie: one wants to ban, one doesn't) the SM's break the deadlock.

In theory this is good. One issue though is like when KC was an admin. Because Aurora is inactive and only shows up occasionally KC was basically dictator (which was fine IMO, he was a very good person for the job). HOWEVER he was unable to dictate because Aurora would show up occasionally and disagree with him (just pure speculation conspiracy here but I think Deep would email her or something and ask her to come and make an appearance if Deep didn't agree with KC) which means the SM's would have to break the deadlock. As a result the SM's were able to basically hold KC back from being a good dictator.

Nice theory, not true, but nicely imaginative.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
14-10-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm sorry Muffs love ya, but I'm here practically every single day.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-10-2014, 07:10 PM
(14-10-2014 07:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm sorry Muffs love ya, but I'm here practically every single day.

Since we chat in the shoutbox almost every day I can confirm this.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post