I backslid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2013, 03:28 AM
I backslid
Hey guys,

So I registered my account on the forum I wanna say in 2011. I was really happy discovering atheism and my own beliefs of how everything came to be. I have many reasons for my beliefs, all of which are evidence based and personal.

First the personal side:
I have a birth defect. I can handle being the 1 out of 250 to have my condition. Shit happens right....

What I cannot comprehend how my defect plays into the plan of some loving god which is punishing us for eating a #&^*ing piece of fruit. Which I'm no expert but I have experience in childcare, if you dont want a child to eat something you keep it out of reach. Not in middle of everything.

evidence based is for the reasons everyone is here.

My beliefs were never a problem for me. I do come from a christian family. however my family doesnt go to church. or even really talk about god. So I have very little christian guilt about it.

That being said last year I met a girl who was a devote christian. Me and her dated for a bit and she always took me to church. I thought at the time that I felt something of the religious variety. However after the relationship ended I continued to go to church and I didnt feel anything and could never look past the obvious logical fallacy.

I never represented myself as anything other than an atheist and recently gave up investigating the god claim actively... (ie in church on sunday). But the whole episode has me beating myself up because I fell for it. I actually thought I felt something devine when I was probably nothing more than infatuated with a young lady.

:/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2013, 06:38 PM
RE: I backslid
Well love is probably one of the emotions closest to being "divine" in some sense, I wouldn't feel too bad about that Wink

I probably don't have to tell you how much literature's out there about the things people do for love... in your case it was going to church with her and thinking there could be something to it. Welcome back (?)
[+] 1 user Likes Vipa's post
07-07-2013, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't worry about it.

You can get the same feeling from jogging, yoga, chanting, eating chocolate or hot spicy food and - yes - prayer. Crying too, and things I forgot.

Your brain releases the same chemicals when you do these things.

It's not that surprising.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-08-2013, 11:32 PM
Odd, I went through a similar situation once with a young man a few years ago, I went to church and started feeling a bit "holy" again as well, but that also ended quite quickly after figuring out that he was basically turning himself into a pompous man-whore(screwing women without remorse~and no I was not one of them, I'm not that stupid I hope.). Smile and he was a devote catholic. I was reminded about how little sense that in religion makes. Infatuation is lame and blind. Sadly it seems hard to not stop that type of moving train until it either gets to its destination or crashes... Sorry you had to go through what ever you went through at that time. It's human and completely understandable. ^-^
[+] 1 user Likes theArtofSunRise's post