I believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2016, 08:37 PM
RE: I believe
(28-06-2016 06:36 PM)Dom Wrote:  No, I mean that to a point we are all subject to what we have been exposed to as children. Whether we know it or not, and whether we have rejected parts of it or not, we are all still the product of brain washing. It is what supplements genetic make-up. Think of it like a software update.

It happens I was raised in a Roman Catholic family. At about 17 years old, I found out that my logical reasoning cannot agree on most teachings (if not all) that were approved, in a way or another, by any Church in the world; not just by the Catholic one.
And, to my big surprise, only one man, in human history, agreed with me on all what I discovered about my being and the reality of the world (far from the great speeches Wink ).
Do you think I am brainwashed by this man just because he is on my side Wink

Kerim

Facts that don't need evidences:
Sheep for milk live in peace because it is the will of their rich owners.
Dogs obeying rich masters deserve much better food and shelters than free dogs do.
Whoever has ears will hear.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2016, 09:29 PM
Your #3 is flat out wrong. The truth of something in the world is independent of the observer. If it weren't, then nothing in science could be reproduced because of the observer's point of view. 2+2=4 no matter where you are or who you are.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
28-06-2016, 09:36 PM
Based on the title of this thread, am I the only one disappointed he didn't start the post with ...

"the children are our future..." ?

Welcome.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-06-2016, 09:38 PM
I believe you are welcomed here to this forum.
28-06-2016, 09:57 PM
(28-06-2016 09:36 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Based on the title of this thread, am I the only one disappointed he didn't start the post with ...

Welcome.

I was thinking "....I can fly..."

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
29-06-2016, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2016 11:03 AM by KerimF.)
(28-06-2016 09:29 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Your #3 is flat out wrong. The truth of something in the world is independent of the observer. If it weren't, then nothing in science could be reproduced because of the observer's point of view. 2+2=4 no matter where you are or who you are.

Thank you for rising this important point. And I am sorry for not being clearer earlier.

The addition function (or alike) is actually just a tool (needed by the logical reasoning) to find something useful (a certain truth, if you like).

You remind me when I was at the university about 35 years ago. At that time, I was able getting a programmable calculator (made by TI). I spent about a month to be familiar with its functions in order to solve non-linear complex equations on it. At a final exam (in electrical motors), after I find out the non-linear equation that solves its main problem, I entered it into the memory of the calculator and got the answer after a couple of minutes (if this was done by a conventional calculator, it would take many hours). My professor was surprised that I gave him the right answer (not only the equation) but took it as a result of cheating. So I gave him my calculator and prayed him to show me how I cheated. He said: But I don't know how to use it. I told him: Should I be sorry (if not punished) for learning a new tool to speed up my calculations while other undergraduates have more time for dancing parties Wink
I got 96% not 100% because for him what I did wasn't as good as I was seeing it Wink

I repeat; the tools used by the logical reasoning (as of your example) might be necessary to find one's truth. Of course, being based on a wrong logic will likely lead to unreal answers (I said 'likely' because in rare cases it may also lead to the right answer by a mere coincidence Wink ).

Kerim

Dogs obeying rich masters deserve much better food and shelters than free dogs do.
[+] 1 user Likes KerimF's post
29-06-2016, 11:10 AM
(28-06-2016 09:36 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Based on the title of this thread, am I the only one disappointed he didn't start the post with ...

Welcome.

I didn't because I am single and I have no right to talk about other's children Wink

29-06-2016, 11:18 AM
(28-06-2016 09:57 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I was thinking "....I can fly..."

Please don't tell me you really can't fly Sad
You probably fear travelling on airplanes Wink

29-06-2016, 11:36 AM
LOL. When I see your thread title I keep hearing this reaaalllllly stupid song called "I Believe" from the 1950's

Elvis Presley sang it too. Oh, the joy. Rainbow Vomit

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-06-2016, 02:56 PM
(29-06-2016 11:18 AM)KerimF Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 09:57 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I was thinking "....I can fly..."

Please don't tell me you really can't fly Sad
You probably fear travelling on airplanes Wink

Is it you that is doing the flying or are you in an object that can fly?

Welcome to the Forum Kfrog.

This is just a section for introduction for people to get to know a little about yourself. If you're in search of a debate or discussion I would suggest starting a different thread.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin