I believe im being misdiagnosed by my doc and need advice.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2017, 04:34 PM
(Please note im from the UK)

I'm having a few issues with my doctor and I need some advice. I know that obviously this is not the place for a diagnosis but I know there are people here in the field of medicine who may offer advice, or others who may have had similar experiences.

It all started over a year ago when at work, out of the blue, I began to feel unwell and was having heart palpitations. I felt like I was going to pass out and a trained first aider at work decided to call me an ambulance.

When the ambulance arrived they did an ECG that came back as normal, but decided to take me in as a precautionary reason. They did blood tests at the hospital and all came back as normal. No sign of a heart attack.

A few months went past with no issues until I had another incident. The same heart palpitations and feeling dizzy, but this time with some chest pain just to the left of my sternum, between two ribs approx where your heart is located. This time It was at home, I was just chilling and watching TV and a friend was concerned enough that they drove to the hospital where I had the same tests done, ECG, bloods etc, all came back as OK.

I went to my GP who first sent me to have a full blood count done which tested everything from diabetes, cholesterol, thyroid etc and everything came back clear/no action needed. My GP then sent me to have a heart event recorder fitted. I wore it for a week and from the results they said I have ectopic beats and artrial tachycardia. As the events were rare they did not give me any medication or recommend anything else other than lifestyle changes.

So I took their advice and at the beginnig of this year I quit smoking cigarettes and weed and started to follow a healthy diet. I decided to follow the DASH diet (Dietary advice to stop hypertension) as from all the reading I did, it seemed the most healthiest and my blood pressure was pre hypertension (around 130/85) and at the age of 43, my brother had an intercranial haemorage/stroke caused by his own high blood pressure.

I bought my own blood pressure monitor and began going to the gym three times a week. I had another incident at work. I passed out sitting at my desk and was unconcious for about 30 seconds I was told. I felt grim and was driven to hospital where they did tests which all came back as normal.

My doc sent me for an echocardiogram and the results came back that my heart was beating OK but that I had two slightly calcified heart valves (I have never asked my doc which heart valves they were and should do), so my doc referred me to see a cardiologist.

After my brothers stroke, my sister went for a check up and her blood pressure was high and she was put on medication to bring it down, she is 45, slightly overweight but other than that she is fit and healthy.

So here we are coming to the point of my problem....

About a 7-8 weeks ago I took my blood pressure for the first time in ages and was surprised to see that my BP was 140/100. So I decided to take my blood pressure for a week. I took it 3 times in the morning, and three times in the eveing. After a week my average BP was around 138/ 97.

So I took my results to the doctor and he didnt seem concerned about it and told me to continue with my lifestyle changes.

About 2 weeks ago a friend came around and the subject of health came up and we both took our blood pressure. Mine was 155/120, the highest I have ever seen it. Before then I had been having a few pains in my head, nothing too bad or lasting but I went back to the docs.

I should note that it has always been the same doctor that I have seen. When I explained my blood pressure was that high, he said that he thinks im suffering with health anxiety and the only reason he had referred me to see a cardiologist was to put my mind at rest and he saw no reason to give me any medication for my blood pressure.

So I disagreed with him, I informed him that I have done a diploma in hypnosis and meditate daily and have no anxiety over anything. My life is good, I have a job I love, no debts whatsoever and my lifestyle has been the healthiest I have ever had for the past 5 months. So I asked him how he wanted to treat my anxiety and he said he wants me to see a counsellor.

So im at a loss, my average BP now is around 140/109.

So im not an expert, I never went to medical school for 5+ years but im doubtful of his diagnosis. I'll go to see a counsellor whilst I wait for my cardiology appointment but I have no idea what the fuck ill talk about. Lets say that he is correct and I am suffering fom anxiety, even still my blood pressure is dangerously high and putting strain on my body and I am a little taken back how unconcerned he is about it.

Im 36, about 11 stone/154 pounds and consider myself quite fit.

Of course I should get a second opinion from another docter however that is not so simple as I will need to register at a completely new doctors and there are not any that are too close by to me. I am taking steps to do so but i'd thought in the meantime id post here.

Thanks for reading this mission of a post.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2017, 04:49 PM
RE: I believe im being misdiagnosed by my doc and need advice.
Get another doctor ASAP; he should be prescribing medication, even if he thinks you are just stressed. A lot of medicine is symptomatic relief, and this sure qualifies.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
31-05-2017, 04:57 PM
This, as you already said, isn't the place for a diagnosis. Only a doctor can do that, and you should really get a second opinion.

I'm familar with the symptoms you're describing. In my case they were panic attacks, caused by the strain of work and additional personal problems. Also, you said, you were taking your blood pressure. That's not really advisable, since only another person, preferably a trained medic or doctor, can provide reliable results. Yours will always be different, and based on your expectations or fears, turn out higher or lower than your usual baseline.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
31-05-2017, 05:16 PM
I have had several bad diagnoses and got a second opinion. I recommend you get one too. High blood pressure is a killer.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
31-05-2017, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2017 06:47 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I think the monitor was not on long enough. They need to be able to see what's happening when you have one of your "spells". My suspicion is you "flip" briefly into either Afib, or V-Tach. I'd ask to see a Cardiologist and see what they say. I don't think you're having a heart attack, but your rhythm may change, (and since it happened "at rest" it's entirely possible, as that happens, and the calcified valves may increase that likelyhood). Go see a cardiologist, and see if they'll watch your rhythm through a spell, so they can see what's happening, exactly. Many times people with arrhythmias aren't lucky enough to have them captured when they are on a monitor, the first try. Your blood pressure probably needs better control. There may be a way to kill two birds with one stone, here.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
31-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Good on you for quitting smoking! Yes...get a second opinion and because you have already been diagnosed with "ectopic beats and artrial tachycardia" ask to see the cardiologist who specializes with the "electric" side of heart problems.

You may be a candidate for fairly straight-forward surgery to eliminate the other rhythm that is causing you problems at times, probably by lowering your blood pressure in an attempt to regulate, which is when you pass out. Beta blockers could help and are worth a try, but if your sinus rhythm is getting mixed messages, the fix is to zap the offending spot.

This is all very non-professional information I am offering and I may have it bass-ackwards...but it sounds much like what my daughter suffered with for years.

Best of luck.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
31-05-2017, 06:27 PM
India's got the OG ACE-inhibitor. Whenever I'm feeling adventurous, I go to the Chinese. Used to have BP like 135/110. Must be doing something, 105/61 w/ 63HR this AM at the doc's. Turns out all you really gotta do is go to your doctor and say "Hey Doc, you ever heard of this Chinese herb I got from India called lisinopril which is supposed to help with high blood pressure?" He'll write you a script.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-05-2017, 06:40 PM
(31-05-2017 06:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  India's got the OG ACE-inhibitor. Whenever I'm feeling adventurous, I go to the Chinese. Used to have BP like 135/110. Must be doing something, 105/61 w/ 63HR this AM at the doc's. Turns out all you really gotta do is go to your doctor and say "Hey Doc, you ever heard of this Chinese herb I got from India called lisinopril which is supposed to help with high blood pressure?" He'll write you a script.

Yes I take 10mg of that every day; have for ca 10 years.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
31-05-2017, 06:46 PM
(31-05-2017 06:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  India's got the OG ACE-inhibitor. Whenever I'm feeling adventurous, I go to the Chinese. Used to have BP like 135/110. Must be doing something, 105/61 w/ 63HR this AM at the doc's. Turns out all you really gotta do is go to your doctor and say "Hey Doc, you ever heard of this Chinese herb I got from India called lisinopril which is supposed to help with high blood pressure?" He'll write you a script.

It protects your kidneys too. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Smells like team spirit. You ever have anxiety?

Come here looking for a diagnosis? You have chlamydia. I'm sorry, it's fatal. Nice knowing you.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post