I believe in Science!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2011, 05:04 PM

I believe in Science!
I am one of those types that was born Christian, then converted to Judaism and it was simply because I was looking for something that would make sense within my life. However I found that nothing made sense, I was always a scientific minded person. Science made sense to me. However since my father is an ordained minister I was terrified to let anyone know that I didn't feel the same. Once I moved out of my parent's house I found more peace knowing their isn't a God, rather than turning to a god. Rock on for this site and everyone who works on it!
Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2011, 11:55 PM
RE: I believe in Science!
With science, there is no belief, because belief implies the necessity of faith. There is no faith in science. There is no believe in science. Either you acknowledge it, or you do not.

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2011, 09:37 PM
You can believe in science in so much that you have faith of future discoveries. Belief in science has to deal with current unknowns more than what is known. Generally though it is more correct to state you accept science, or trust scientists to keep each other pretty honest.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
24-05-2011, 02:21 PM
I think Science as a philosophy based on analytical empirical evidence and a hypothesis that is falsifiable and can be overturned with evidence is a very rational and logical position.

This is a good video on the topic as far as I am concerned :

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
25-05-2011, 05:56 AM
Awesome - love it
25-05-2011, 11:06 AM

(22-05-2011 11:55 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  With science, there is no belief, because belief implies the necessity of faith. There is no faith in science. There is no believe in science. Either you acknowledge it, or you do not.
I know what you're trying to say.
One needs faith to believe in a belief; one needs evidence to know of a fact.

But EndofTheWorld04 isn't saying that science is a belief. What he is saying is that he believes in science as a way of life. And that doesn't make it a belief.

(23-05-2011 09:37 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  You can believe in science in so much that you have faith of future discoveries. Belief in science has to deal with current unknowns more than what is known. Generally though it is more correct to state you accept science, or trust scientists to keep each other pretty honest.
You're speaking of theories... In this sense yes. To theorise is to believe. To accept that one doesn't know, hence has to fall down to believe.

When there is a [1]Question.
To find out the answer, one must [2]Investigate.
Investigate can be as simply asking someone a question and having him to answer it all the way to researching and performing a experiment which eventually produces a repeatable and credible result, depending on the Question.
From investigating, one would then either [2.1]Know or [2.2]Not Know the answer to the question, depending on whether the investigation is successful or not.
If one Knows, then the story stops there. If one does Not Know, the one would either [2.1.1]Don't Bother or [2.1.2]Theorise/Believe.

When scientific minded people Theorise/Beleive, the recognise the they don't know because they either go through process [1], [2], [2.2] and [2.2.1], which is to question, investigate and fail to not know the answer then theorise, or [1], [2.2] then [2.2.1], which is to question, not bother to investigate hence not knowing then theorise. But what religious people do is to start from step [1] then immediately jump to [2.2.1], which is to question not investigate and to not recognise that one doesn't know and immidiately theorise/believe, thinking that what their theorise and believe is equivalent to knowing.

I think what EndofTheWorld04 is saying is that he believes in scientific method or process as a way of seeking the truths. Which is the same mission as religious people, but the go through the wrong method hence their truths are actually myths, and the scientific truths are facts - actual truths.

By the way galgamesh71: Nice video.
Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2011, 04:33 AM
Quote:Awesome - love it

Quote:By the way galgamesh71: Nice video.

No problem , I do my best to bring these videos to the table. They inspired me a lot when I became an atheist and I hope they will do the same for you.

26-05-2011, 06:01 AM
My father was a religious man and wanted me to be one too.
But he made one mistake - he taught me science.
[+] 1 user Likes TheAtheist's post
26-05-2011, 01:57 PM
(26-05-2011 06:01 AM)TheAtheist Wrote:  My father was a religious man and wanted me to be one too.
But he made one mistake - he taught me science.

Make that into a signature and T-shirt - NOW !!! Tongue