I believe in a higher power, but I love & respect all views & welcome friendly debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2012, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 11:08 PM by kim.)
RE: I believe in a higher power, but I love & respect all views & welcome friendly debate
(10-01-2012 04:56 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  Do you approve of government to be entirely separated from religion?-
I think the government should not interfere with Religious organizations except to collect taxes. However I think the Government shouldn't just decide where they want to send the money. They should let the people that pay choose and then make sure they give it. That's just my opinion though. And I think that originally Religion was in government but that was when the majority could decide and agree on how much one could say about god to an extent that it didn't offend anyone. I think now the Government should not implement special recognition of any religion or lack of religion in it's affairs. The common good should come first.

Hmm.
You are aware that churches are tax-exempt, right?
Every wonder about all those Mega-churches? Ever think how much they money they take in?
What a single one of those churches' buildings might cost? The organization which built that building and runs the Sunday school, and bible camps, faith based education, and foreign and domestic missionary work…. does NOT pay taxes.
Head down to Tulsa Oklahoma to the airport and check out the private planes of some of the evangelists… paid for with tax free cash... they'll even tell you that... they're proud of it!

Sorry, but I have to head out to work. Darn. Just when he's learning about the stuff that chaps my ass the most. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2012, 06:01 PM
RE: I believe in a higher power, but I love & respect all views & welcome friendly debate
I think that's sad that churches are tax exempt. Isn't that discriminatory??
[+] 2 users Like Thatweirdkid's post
10-01-2012, 06:05 PM
(10-01-2012 06:01 PM)Thatweirdkid Wrote:  I think that's sad that churches are tax exempt. Isn't that discriminatory??

It wouldn't be so bad if some secular organizations such as the American Atheists could be tax-exempt as well.
[+] 3 users Like Ben's post
10-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Yes, theist have special rights that no one else has. They enjoy them.

May I ask a question. I won't bombard you I swear. I just wonder why you dislike gay marriage. What do you believe it will do to society? We've proven that its natural and many people who marry can't make babies. I just want to hear because even when I was part of the Catholic church I could never bring myself to hate them or discriminate against them.

Mostly because I was discriminated against myself and I decided I wouldn't do it unto others. Its funny I learned tolerance because of life experiences and not the bible. If I had learned anything from the bible its how to treat women badly and murder thousands of people who are different than I.

I'm joking again but my question remains serious. Why?

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
10-01-2012, 07:59 PM
rofl

You're innocently about to revitalize one of the most mind-numbing, horse-beating debates ever.

dun dun dunnn

BURDEN OF PROOF
[/quote]

I find this post sad.
If we were all thinking rationally, the debate would not exist.
The debate over the burden of proof has been made "mind-numbing" only by the theists who shut their eyes to its seriousness.
It is a simple thing to understand and seek yet the theist consistently dismisses the burden of proof as meaningless when in fact it is everything.

Just keep on spinnin' the faith brother for all you are worth, but note that it isn't worth anything.
Especially without an actual teeny tiny bit of proof.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2012, 08:18 PM
(10-01-2012 07:59 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  I find this post sad.
The debate over the burden of proof has been made "mind-numbing" only by the theists who shut their eyes to its seriousness.
It is a simple thing to understand and seek yet the theist consistently dismisses the burden of proof as meaningless when in fact it is everything.

Just keep on spinnin' the faith brother for all you are worth, but note that it isn't worth anything.

yawn

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-01-2012, 09:12 PM
(10-01-2012 07:59 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  rofl

You're innocently about to revitalize one of the most mind-numbing, horse-beating debates ever.

dun dun dunnn

BURDEN OF PROOF

I find this post sad.

[/quote]

If the burden of proof is everything then some hard line scientists suffer from the same disease. Science is very powerfull but is still restrained by the limitations inherent in mankinds cognitive abilities.

The philosophers Kant, Hume, and much later Popper and Kuhn were aware of this and saw science as dealing with varying degrees of probability, not absolute truths.

REligious people need to operate much more from a faith position in their pursuits for eternal peace, bliss--or however they percieve the next calling........
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post