I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2017, 04:09 PM
I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...
Yes, I said it. The moral compass as made famous by the Holy Bible aligns (almost) perfectly with my gut feeling on right and wrong, biology, etc. I feel that to deny the obvious core ideas at the heart of the bible is folly, not because a God commands it, but because it makes moral, biological/evolutional and physical sense.

Having said that, I was raised atheist, and think that the idea of a "God" writing a scripture for human beings to follow overflows all borders on the ridiculous. How to reconcile this with modern ideas on political correctness?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2017, 04:12 PM
RE: I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...
I totally agree. Kill your disobedient children and marry the women you rape. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 25 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-09-2017, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2017 04:22 PM by wendigo.)
(21-09-2017 04:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I totally agree. Kill your disobedient children and marry the women you rape. Thumbsup

Core ideas, that is the Sunday School roster. I get your immediate aversion to anything that might be written in the bible, but I don't think all atheists reject all that is good (in a biblical sense) simply to be contrary to what they perceive as an opposing viewpoint. For example, I oppose a lot of the lifestyles and attitudes that are typically attributed to atheists because they make no sense in the long run, evolution-wise, and are destructive to families and well-being. Like the media's crap-spewing conformism in all it's forms
21-09-2017, 04:29 PM
You can't find a book that teaches core values and DOESN'T require people to have an imaginary friend?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 20 users Like Gawdzilla's post
21-09-2017, 05:10 PM
I'm sure your slaves would agree with you.

I've only recently grown rudimentary legs and made the move from water to land.
[+] 15 users Like pablo's post
21-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Quote: I feel that to deny the obvious core ideas at the heart of the bible is folly, not because a God commands it,...

So wendigo,

What The Fuck is moral about a "ruler / god",
whom sets up free will individuals (of his own likeness now??) who can choose NOT to follow all his horsechit salvation check list
(cause he can THINK RATIONALLY now)
and will then be put out?

Oh, he's put out and damned to hell with ETERNAL suffering. Yeah, the worse hell and brimstone and e-fuc'kn-turnel anguish one can imagine. Why?

Because the "childlike belief" needed just didn't sit like the smartest way to go about in this fuc'd up world of other freewill nutjobs??

Well gee god, Thanks asshole for giving me a damn brain!

That God and all his "stuff",
can Kiss my rosy red hot ass -if that will be the case. Oh,
ETERNALLY!

i.e I think God got his moral shit slingin'' consequences wrong on that one buddy.
Don't you truly feel duh unconditional luv in that chit?

Where is the selfless humility in these hellbound bullet points:
Do not have any other god before God
Do not make yourself an idol
Do not take the Lord's name in vain
Remember the Sabbath Day and keep it holy

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 1 user Likes BackSlider's post
21-09-2017, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2017 06:08 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(21-09-2017 04:14 PM)wendigo Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 04:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I totally agree. Kill your disobedient children and marry the women you rape. Thumbsup

Core ideas, that is the Sunday School roster. I get your immediate aversion to anything that might be written in the bible, but I don't think all atheists reject all that is good (in a biblical sense) simply to be contrary to what they perceive as an opposing viewpoint. For example, I oppose a lot of the lifestyles and attitudes that are typically attributed to atheists because they make no sense in the long run, evolution-wise, and are destructive to families and well-being. Like the media's crap-spewing conformism in all it's forms

Bully for you. The "Holy" Bible ? Really ? "Holy Bible " ? You actually think the Bible contains any sort of consistent moral system ? Clearly you never read it.
So you think that what is moral and ethical for others, is what YOUR gut tells you ? My my. What a great gut you have. So we should follow your gut ?
Your core fallacy is that ANY morality originated in the bible. It didn't. Religion sanctions culture, not the other way round, so you have no point at all.
All mythological systems contain some suggestions for living a good life. Yours may be good for you. You don't get to tell other people what books to read to tell them how to live, gramps.
That's the only book you ever read ?
There are no "lifestyles" of atheists ... just more simplistic unsupported bullshit. Post the data that supports this garbage.
Please tell us what lifestyles these atheists had in common ?
Thomas Paine, Clarence Darrow, Susan B. Anthony, Abraham Lincoln, W.E.B. Du Bois, Margaret Sanger, Langston Hughes, Eugene Debs, Thomas Edison, Kurt Vonnegut, Pete Stark.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 11 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-09-2017, 05:57 PM
The qualifier in your subject line is very telling.
"the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)"
So, basically, you look at what the bible teaches and pick out the things you thing are good and discount the rest. That means you are applying your own sense of morality to what the bible "teaches" and it is in fact, not teaching you anything.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 17 users Like unfogged's post
21-09-2017, 06:10 PM
I would agree that there are some good parts to the Bible, but for the most part it's kind of a scary book, most of that due to the culture of the time. But pretty much all cultures have had war, famine, gods, and had what we nowadays consider barbaric practices.

On the whole I don't find a lot of good moral teaching in the Bible. I think for a lot of Jewish people (and Aliza correct me if I'm wrong) it's more about a cultural book for the Jewish people, a part of their history, and their God and that's why it's revered. I think for the Xtians, on the other hand, it is treated heavily as a moral book, which it just isn't.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
21-09-2017, 06:27 PM
(21-09-2017 04:09 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Yes, I said it. The moral compass as made famous by the Holy Bible aligns (almost) perfectly with my gut feeling on right and wrong, biology, etc. I feel that to deny the obvious core ideas at the heart of the bible is folly, not because a God commands it, but because it makes moral, biological/evolutional and physical sense.

Having said that, I was raised atheist, and think that the idea of a "God" writing a scripture for human beings to follow overflows all borders on the ridiculous. How to reconcile this with modern ideas on political correctness?

> We already have a superior morality based upon experience and reason. To wit:

THE HUMANIST TEN COMMANDMENTS

1) Thou shalt strive to promote the greater good of humanity before all selfish desires.

2) Thou shalt be curious, for asking questions is the only way to find answers.

3) Harm to your fellow human is harm to humanity. Therefore, thou shalt not kill, rape, rob, or otherwise victimize anyone.

4) Thou shall treat all humans as equals, regardless of race, gender, age, creed, identity, orientation, physical ability, or status.

5) Thou shalt use reason as your guide. Science, knowledge, observation, and rational analysis are the best ways to determine any course of action.

6) Thou shalt not force your beliefs onto others, nor insist that yours be the only and correct way to live happily.

7) If thou dost govern, thou shalt govern with reason, not with superstition. Religion should have no place in any government which represents all people and beliefs.

8) Thou shalt act for the betterment of your fellow humans, and be, whenever possible, altruistic in your deeds.

9) Thou shalt be good to the Earth and its bounties, for without it, humankind is lost.

10) Thou shalt impart thy knowledge and wisdom gained in your lifetime to the next generation, so that with each passing century, humanity will grow wiser and more humane.
Consider
[+] 15 users Like Gwaithmir's post