I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2017, 03:57 PM
RE: I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...
(22-09-2017 03:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(22-09-2017 03:17 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Double post

No it isn't...you are trying to cover your tracks since you are apparently here under more than one name.

That's what it sounds like he or she said. Then wendigo seemed to try to hide his or her tracks by deleting the post.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2017, 04:07 PM
I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...
My point was that the phrase "core values" will always depend on the person or group using the term. I never implied you aren't atheist or you had an agenda. My other point was that there's nothing new in the Bible or most holy books.

If you inferred from that that I'm accusing you of anything, then I can't say anything that will change your mind. I wasn't even agreeing or disagreeing with you or anyone. I barely read the posts before mine.

Keep in mind the name of this forum includes the word "thinking." Just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean we hate Christians or hate you. In fact I don't know you well enough to like or dislike you.

If you disagree with anyone, state your reasons. Don't just rant about how we're poopyheads. Hell, I don't like a quarter of the people here. (But I don't dislike them, either.)

Stick around, but no one is going to agree with you 100% on anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
22-09-2017, 05:34 PM
(22-09-2017 03:08 PM)wendigo Wrote:  This is amazing. You have actually determined that I'm secretly a bible thumper who's come to make you admit that Christians have it right.

When multiple people believe that you are being dishonest in your posts perhaps you should consider that maybe, just maybe, it's you.

Quote: Holy shit my mind is actually blown to realize there are people who think like you. I mean that seriously, I literally had no idea that there were bands of "enlightened" atheists, who figure that their hatred of organized religion gives them to right to judge and persecute others who have different opinions. This whole set of forums and threads is rife with intolerance... of anything that's not exactly what the majority who haven't been admin kicked yet still pretend to think on the internet. Neat.

Note that you have not been "admin kicked" and you are free to try to correct the impression that you have made here. Being insulting and dismissive of others just because they don't agree with you doesn't accomplish that.

Please elaborate on exactly what persecution you have undergone. Being disagreed with is not persecution (by the way, that's a huge part of why you sound like a closeted xian).

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
22-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Nice guys.
22-09-2017, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2017 06:29 PM by dancefortwo.)
(22-09-2017 03:08 PM)wendigo Wrote:  This is amazing. You have actually determined that I'm secretly a bible thumper who's come to make you admit that Christians have it right. Holy shit my mind is actually blown to realize there are people who think like you. I mean that seriously, I literally had no idea that there were bands of "enlightened" atheists, who figure that their hatred of organized religion gives them to right to judge and persecute others who have different opinions. This whole set of forums and threads is rife with intolerance... of anything that's not exactly what the majority who haven't been admin kicked yet still pretend to think on the internet. Neat.

(22-09-2017 03:08 PM)wendigo Wrote:  This whole set of forums and threads is rife with intolerance...

Well, when you come on a forum rife with a great many members who have studied the bible and bible scholarship, probably more than most christians.
Forum members who know how and when the bible was cobbled together, forum members who read it for what it is......a book reflective of ancient barbaric practices by a mainly paternal misogynistic society, you're probably gonna find yourself in some hot water when you claim the "bible (mainly) teaches correct morals." Just sayin.

Edit to add: Also, I might inform you that many members have been emotionally and psychologically damaged by fundimentalist christianity. Some have had to seek years of counseling to overcome incredible fears because of religious indoctrination. Many have been estranged from their families for decades. Some have had spouses divorce them because of their lack of belief. Keep that in mind when you interact with other here.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 6 users Like dancefortwo's post
22-09-2017, 06:36 PM
(21-09-2017 04:09 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Yes, I said it. The moral compass as made famous by the Holy Bible aligns (almost) perfectly with my gut feeling on right and wrong, biology, etc. I feel that to deny the obvious core ideas at the heart of the bible is folly, not because a God commands it, but because it makes moral, biological/evolutional and physical sense.
All of the worthwhile moral ideas that can be found in the Bible can also be found elsewhere, without the baggage of a supreme being, a bronze age patriarchal economy, or a genocidal social plan. If the first place you have encountered some of these moral precepts happens to have been the Bible, well and good. Now, do yourself a favor and find out where these precepts actually came from (few, if any, originated with the Bible).
A little research might save you from accidentally grabbing a turd, while you're busy picking up the chocolate bars.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post
22-09-2017, 06:39 PM
[Image: 550995_355663531177379_1091735482_n.jpg?w=640]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 10 users Like Minimalist's post
22-09-2017, 06:43 PM
(21-09-2017 06:27 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > We already have a superior morality based upon experience and reason. To wit:

THE HUMANIST TEN COMMANDMENTS

1) Thou shalt strive to promote the greater good of humanity before all selfish desires.

2) Thou shalt be curious, for asking questions is the only way to find answers.

3) Harm to your fellow human is harm to humanity. Therefore, thou shalt not kill, rape, rob, or otherwise victimize anyone.

4) Thou shall treat all humans as equals, regardless of race, gender, age, creed, identity, orientation, physical ability, or status.

5) Thou shalt use reason as your guide. Science, knowledge, observation, and rational analysis are the best ways to determine any course of action.

6) Thou shalt not force your beliefs onto others, nor insist that yours be the only and correct way to live happily.

7) If thou dost govern, thou shalt govern with reason, not with superstition. Religion should have no place in any government which represents all people and beliefs.

8) Thou shalt act for the betterment of your fellow humans, and be, whenever possible, altruistic in your deeds.

9) Thou shalt be good to the Earth and its bounties, for without it, humankind is lost.

10) Thou shalt impart thy knowledge and wisdom gained in your lifetime to the next generation, so that with each passing century, humanity will grow wiser and more humane.
Consider

That's a pretty good formulation, although #1 and #8 are kinda the same thing.

And where does it tell me what I should be doing with graven images on the Sabbath? Tongue

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
22-09-2017, 06:50 PM
(22-09-2017 06:36 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 04:09 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Yes, I said it. The moral compass as made famous by the Holy Bible aligns (almost) perfectly with my gut feeling on right and wrong, biology, etc. I feel that to deny the obvious core ideas at the heart of the bible is folly, not because a God commands it, but because it makes moral, biological/evolutional and physical sense.
All of the worthwhile moral ideas that can be found in the Bible can also be found elsewhere, without the baggage of a supreme being, a bronze age patriarchal economy, or a genocidal social plan. If the first place you have encountered some of these moral precepts happens to have been the Bible, well and good. Now, do yourself a favor and find out where these precepts actually came from (few, if any, originated with the Bible).
A little research might save you from accidentally grabbing a turd, while you're busy picking up the chocolate bars.

Speaking of research, maybe you could simply read the whole thread. You'd learn pretty quickly that I never had religion ie, I don't "learn" my morals from any ridiculous book. I'm well aware of where said precepts come from.
22-09-2017, 06:51 PM

Having said that, I was raised atheist, and think that the idea of a "God" writing a scripture for human beings to follow overflows all borders on the ridiculous. How to reconcile this with modern ideas on political correctness?

Morality is probably over rated. When did you ever make a moral choice only after consulting the bible? Besides reading through the bible for morals you really really really have to cherry pick. If you didn't already know right from wrong you'd never figure it out by reading that book.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post