I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2017, 02:55 AM
RE: I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...
Wendigo, When did he go?

Get your own bleeding hymn book
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thedemonbarber's post
24-09-2017, 03:12 AM
Also wendigo, if your own personal subjective morality aligns with that of the bible, then how do you know that it's not just because you were raised in a christian culture?:

If so then this tells us nothing about how to judge the bible's moral value.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
24-09-2017, 05:28 AM
(23-09-2017 09:49 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I have been looking for a good clear photo of this anteater forever. Thanks!

This one is my favorite.

[Image: hG8foXU.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
24-09-2017, 06:29 AM
(23-09-2017 01:18 PM)wendigo Wrote:  
(23-09-2017 06:08 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  So where do these morals come from? What makes something right or wrong?

Because if you are telling the truth and don't believe that a god commanded them, then you must either believe that there is no right or wrong, or that they come from somewhere else.

You obviously believe that there is such thing as right or wrong otherwise you wouldn't be trying to tell us that the Bible teaches correct morals.

So you must believe that they come from somewhere else. You have often referred to morals making a 'biological/evolutional and physical sense'.

So if the morals from biological instincts for example, why do we need the Bible to tell us what is morally right or wrong? Why not go straight to the source and listen to our own instincts and collectively figure it out as we currently are doing?

Yes what you say is true. Please do me the favour of re-reading my posts. I did not say we need the bible. All i've said is that the bible, as it's practised by most modern christians, happens to align with, as you mentioned, biological in-born "right and wrong" conventions that have gotten the human race this far. Like family units, gender roles, the golden rule etc. I feel like this is enough reason to not take a steaming dump on christians when I encounter them, unlike half the cunts who replied irrationally to my posts . Don't think my wife is qualified to comnent on Christianity? She's evangelical, her aunt is a catholic nun. Don't think I'm a real atheist? I never had religion, nor do I normally waste time giving the slightest fuck about it. That makes me as atheist as it gets, maybe with a different view on some issues than some other atheist. Can't say the same about the ex christian "atheists" on their high horses in here. Not you personally by the way, they know who they are.

I have never in my life met a group of more cringey, pathetic slaptards as I've found in here. Not all but a large portion. Normally if someone talked about my wife like that in person, they'd get the beat-down of a lifetime, but since you're just a collection of self righteous opinionated cellar nerds half way around the world in an unenlighted cluster-fuck backward consumer plantation, I bid you adieu.

This post is a good summation of your entire posting style, you make vague statements about the bible, you don't define your terms, get called on it and then cry persecution as you engage in personal insults.

Here's some basic tips:

If you claim something has good qualities, you better be specific about it and be ready to explain why it is still good despite being given specific reasons why it's not.

As an example- You are trying to sell a toilet covered in shit, with missing pieces. It has no lid, the internal parts need replaced, etc.

So the person you are selling this too says- that's covered in shit! It's no good!

Then you say that fiends and family sat on this toilet and used it and it worked great.

At no point, do you acknowledge that's it has so many problems that it would probably be best to get rid of it and tell the person trying to buy it to go get a new one.

You go on about how well it flushed, how white it is. Speaking in generalities that are clearly contradicted by it's current state.

You then proceed to tell this person that there's no reason to "take a steaming dump" on those that have used this toilet.

Would you be surprised to learn that this person did not buy this toilet? In fact maybe this person told you to go take a steaming dump with your silly toilet.

Oh- and for fuck's sake, don't drag your wife into this. :facepalm:

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 8 users Like TheInquisition's post
24-09-2017, 07:40 AM
(23-09-2017 09:24 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(23-09-2017 09:21 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  What the heck was "it" and who the heck was taken in by it?

I believe "it" refers to the OP and the bible being a useful source of morality.

I was understanding "it" to mean the bible is perceived by Christians, ignorantly but sincerely, as a useful source of morality rather than it actually being one. But as was pointed out there seemed to be a lot of goal-post moving and I think he was in over his head pretty quick. Maybe in the course of a few posts HE went from thinking the bible actually is a useful source of morality to thinking it isn't; that seems more realistic than him being a double-agent from Christianforums.com sent to blow all our vulnerable minds with his amazing insights.

No big whoop either way.

24-09-2017, 07:46 AM
(24-09-2017 07:40 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(23-09-2017 09:24 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I believe "it" refers to the OP and the bible being a useful source of morality.

I was understanding "it" to mean the bible is perceived by Christians, ignorantly but sincerely, as a useful source of morality rather than it actually being one. But as was pointed out there seemed to be a lot of goal-post moving and I think he was in over his head pretty quick. Maybe in the course of a few posts HE went from thinking the bible actually is a useful source of morality to thinking it isn't; that seems more realistic than him being a double-agent from Christianforums.com sent to blow all our vulnerable minds with his amazing insights.

No big whoop either way.

Don't bother defending him. He demonstrated the property of being a total dickhead. It doesn't actually matter what precisely he said at this point. Heaven and earth may pass away, but the fact that Wendigo was a dickhead in this thread remains.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
24-09-2017, 07:50 AM
Anjele Wrote:
jerry mcmasters Wrote:
Quote:...especially since so many people fall for and support this crap...like they have never seen it before and are taken in by it.

What the heck was "it" and who the heck was taken in by it?

You and I have nothing to discuss.

Aww, we'll never know who all the atheists are in here that think the bible is a good source of morality.

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
24-09-2017, 07:56 AM
(21-09-2017 04:09 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Yes, I said it. The moral compass as made famous by the Holy Bible aligns (almost) perfectly with my gut feeling on right and wrong, biology, etc. I feel that to deny the obvious core ideas at the heart of the bible is folly, not because a God commands it, but because it makes moral, biological/evolutional and physical sense.

Having said that, I was raised atheist, and think that the idea of a "God" writing a scripture for human beings to follow overflows all borders on the ridiculous. How to reconcile this with modern ideas on political correctness?

Bull fucking shit.

The very first myth story in that book, treats two innocent humans as poker chips in a rigged bet between God and Satan. Adam and Eve had no say or knowledge of that. They were pawns. They had no consent in that bet.

And exactly how is it moral, to murder children over a beef you have with an adult king? You find the infanticide God allowed because he was pissed off at the Egyptian King moral?

By your logic, if my adult neighbor breaks into my house and steals something, I have the right to murder his children?

Then there is the mythology of the flood. That is not a corrective behavior, it is an act of revenge. It is an act of GENOCIDE.

Now, I could really give a shit less that you were an atheist. I'll take your word for it.

Now, you want the real reason those stories exist?

Because they reflect the rival kingships of the times they were written in. Both in prior polytheism and monotheism back then, life for the surf was far more difficult and the mortality rate was far higher. Back then your survival as a subject depended on you towing the tribal line and blind loyalty to your local ruler.

That book of myth has nothing in common with today's modern knowledge of human behavior in terms of psychology, psychiatry or neurology. It also does not reflect our western concepts on checks on power.

That was then, this is now. Not only is that book scientifically inaccurate it is full of immoral demands of subjugation, sexism and xenophobia of outsiders. It is a manual for tribal gangs. It has no modern reflection of pluralism.

Are there stories that depict acts of kindness in it? Yes, sure, but you have to cherry pick and ignore all the bad stuff to solely focus on that.

Just the head character alone is an authoritarian. He does not need your permission to rule over you. He is not elected to his position. He does not have to explain himself to you. He cannot be removed from his position. He can do whatever he wants to you without your permission. That does not reflect today's elected western officials.

The God character is nothing more that the reflections of antiquity of kings. Kings are not elected either.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
24-09-2017, 09:31 AM
(24-09-2017 07:56 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Bull fucking shit.

The very first myth story in that book, treats two innocent humans as poker chips in a rigged bet between God and Satan. Adam and Eve had no say or knowledge of that. They were pawns. They had no consent in that bet.

umm,
there may have been some free will before it was bestowed?
[Image: funny-bathroom-graffiti-jesus-loves-sata....jpg?w=620]

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 2 users Like BackSlider's post
24-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Quote:I bid you adieu.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post