I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2017, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2017 09:14 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...
(25-09-2017 04:56 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Can I just say, there's absolutely nothing innovative in terms of morality in the Bible. There isn't a single idea or piece of moral advice that hasn't been talked about in writings, religions and philosophies much older than Christianity.

True ... but the impetus for the concoction of some of the texts is at least interesting. As described in the Book of Nehemiah, Ezra brought back with him from Babylon two things :

1. Was the document from Artaxerxes that the King may rule in his name, in the newly reconstituted Israel. The Greeks were invading the Levant, and he wanted the Kingdom(s) of Israel reconstituted to serve as a buffer-state between the invaders, and his empire. The society had essentially been destroyed by the process of exile. The old family groups which were the foundation of the social structure, were seriously disrupted, and there was no longer a legal system, so he had them "invent" a "national history" and a set of rules, to serve in place as a (political/legal) foundation and unification function for the (new) society.

so ... what happened ?

2. He commissioned the Torah of Moses. The Judean priests assembled from the various source materials they had, (see the "Documentary Hypothesis") (including a lot of Babylonian material and myths), what became the first 4 books of the Bible. The Torah of Moses, up to that point, never once was mentioned in human history. He introduced it, in a fall festival, (as recounted in Nehemiah). The Persian emperor is the one person who is most responsible for the Israel we know, and the religions which sprang from the texts Artaxerxes commissioned in Babylon. Christianity of course in no way flows organically from Judaism. The inventors of the new cult (Christianity) twisted some totally non-existent themes from Judaism ("salvation" etc), when they cooked up the new cult, in a fake attempt to make it look like there was some sort of real logical flow of ideas and a relationship which in fact does not really exist.

More than anything, the Bible's "historical inventions" are really the stories of squabbling priest factions who hated each other and were trying the gain power.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
25-09-2017, 09:50 PM
(25-09-2017 08:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-09-2017 08:27 PM)julep Wrote:  At any rate, if you want to argue that the bible is excellent morally on this site, the least you could do is actually read through the whole document. We'll wait.

Fucker comes here to educate Girly on Jesus and he ain't even read the goddam text? The arrogance of these false Christians never ceases to amaze me. This is why they're going to Hell.

A true Christian wouldn't lie and pretend to be atheist to score Jesus points. Dunno why a false Christian thinks it would work. I mean... is Jesus by tacit admission a stupid God?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-09-2017, 10:01 PM
(25-09-2017 09:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-09-2017 08:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Fucker comes here to educate Girly on Jesus and he ain't even read the goddam text? The arrogance of these false Christians never ceases to amaze me. This is why they're going to Hell.

A true Christian wouldn't lie and pretend to be atheist to score Jesus points. Dunno why a false Christian thinks it would work. I mean... is Jesus by tacit admission a stupid God?

Did the fucker pretend he was an atheist first? Welp, won't be seeing that asshole again if he's got any sense of self-worth whatsoever. These are the fuckers who give Jesus a bad name.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-09-2017, 04:20 AM
(25-09-2017 05:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-09-2017 04:54 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Go look up RNA universe. Go try to get RNA to fold and make a copy of itself.

So I did go look it up.

The Immortal Molecule: Scripps Research Scientists Develop First Examples of RNA that Replicates Itself Indefinitely Without Any Help from Biology

And that was over 8 years ago. Scripps is even further along now. Maybe you should start looking shit up.

Like you said, old news. They have yet to get rna to self replicate.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/busi...story.html

My point is not that it's too complicated to understand, just that even the greatest minds working tiredlessly for years don't have the answers yet. They might soon, but we don't have enough info at the moment. I've been interested in this and other related topics since I was a kid. I keep myself up to date usually.
26-09-2017, 04:23 AM
(25-09-2017 05:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(25-09-2017 04:54 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Go look up RNA universe. They know shit all about things and they admit it. Go try to get RNA to fold and make a copy of itself. Tell what causes inertia ie why inertia should be. You think you know the answer from high school but you'll see with a bit of impetus.

You say you’re an atheist and then pull the old “it’s too complex for my brain to understand ergo goddiit”?

[Image: Ur7XVsP.gif?zoom=2]

[Image: l8kjP4k.gif?zoom=2]

Well you tell us then, how do you get rna to self replicate? Experts the world over in the field have yet to get it to happen in controlled laboratory conditions, let alone spontaneously. They might figure it out soon. I'm able to understand it, I'm just saying there's not enough info to make sweeping generalizations on what "is" and what "isn't" yet.
26-09-2017, 04:27 AM
(25-09-2017 10:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-09-2017 09:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  A true Christian wouldn't lie and pretend to be atheist to score Jesus points. Dunno why a false Christian thinks it would work. I mean... is Jesus by tacit admission a stupid God?

Did the fucker pretend he was an atheist first? Welp, won't be seeing that asshole again if he's got any sense of self-worth whatsoever. These are the fuckers who give Jesus a bad name.

I'm not pretending to be anything. I know the basics of the bible, how could I not? We hear about it everyday everywhere we go. I' don't even know what you guys mean with false christian and false atheist. I was just born into a family that had no religion on either side, never went to church etc.
26-09-2017, 04:40 AM
(26-09-2017 04:27 AM)wendigo Wrote:  
(25-09-2017 10:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Did the fucker pretend he was an atheist first? Welp, won't be seeing that asshole again if he's got any sense of self-worth whatsoever. These are the fuckers who give Jesus a bad name.

I'm not pretending to be anything. I know the basics of the bible, how could I not? We hear about it everyday everywhere we go. I' don't even know what you guys mean with false christian and false atheist. I was just born into a family that had no religion on either side, never went to church etc.

Why do you get your panties in a bunch every time someone says your OP is stupid then? Why did you make such a goddamn stupid OP in the first place? And if you know the basics of the bible and you've been provided actual quotations and verses proving that your half-baked understanding is exactly that, why do you react by accusing us of hating Christians? We don't hate Christians but we do detest idiots who charge in here all judgy as fuck and tell us what we think, especially when they later confess to not knowing the first thing about the subjects they pontificate on. Dodgy

Go shove a stick up your arse or something. You know. What you normally do when you're not fucking up a perfectly decent forum.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
26-09-2017, 06:31 AM
(26-09-2017 04:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  Go shove a stick up your arse or something. You know. What you normally do when you're not fucking up a perfectly decent forum.

Would that be the same perfect forum where people with opposing viewpoints are told to shove sticks in their asses? Reminds me of the other poster who wrote, "You can fuck right off. I'm very open minded".
26-09-2017, 06:55 AM
(26-09-2017 04:23 AM)wendigo Wrote:  
(25-09-2017 05:18 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You say you’re an atheist and then pull the old “it’s too complex for my brain to understand ergo goddiit”?

[Image: Ur7XVsP.gif?zoom=2]

[Image: l8kjP4k.gif?zoom=2]

Well you tell us then, how do you get rna to self replicate? Experts the world over in the field have yet to get it to happen in controlled laboratory conditions, let alone spontaneously. They might figure it out soon. I'm able to understand it, I'm just saying there's not enough info to make sweeping generalizations on what "is" and what "isn't" yet.

Tell “us”? Who is this “us”?

Christians like to play the Argument from Incredulity card whenever there is a gap in our collective knowledge. You are no different. I would explain to you the concept of the scientific method but I’m sure it would fall on deaf ears. Hint: goddidit isn’t part of the rigorous process.

As for “sweeping generalizations” no one does it better than a religious apologetic. You know the old saying, if the shoe fits...

[Image: d6e754d24aaef324c1595e68583ace7a--famous...ck-box.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
26-09-2017, 07:07 AM
(26-09-2017 06:31 AM)wendigo Wrote:  
(26-09-2017 04:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  Go shove a stick up your arse or something. You know. What you normally do when you're not fucking up a perfectly decent forum.

Would that be the same perfect forum where people with opposing viewpoints are told to shove sticks in their asses? Reminds me of the other poster who wrote, "You can fuck right off. I'm very open minded".

It's about whether you're worth talking to mate. I feel a bit dirty even responding to you, but I'm hoping you'll fuck off so it's worth it.

Basically you're not some wonderous philosopher king imparting wisdom, you're rather the equivalent of a shit-covered cretin drawing pictures with his own poo and demanding praise for it. Only your parents are going to do that for you. Go play your attention seeking games somewhere else.

[+] 3 users Like morondog's post