I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2017, 04:24 PM
RE: I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...
(26-09-2017 04:14 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(26-09-2017 12:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’d prefer to know they just came from listening to a talk given by Seth Andrews. Yes

Me too, we'd have more to talk about. Wink In my unfortunate personal experience, "non-denominational Bible Study" tends to mean "Evangelicals looking to recruit people to the True Christianity ™ ".

Gasp

[Image: SJpOTW6.gif?zoom=2]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-09-2017, 04:35 PM
(26-09-2017 04:24 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(26-09-2017 04:14 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Me too, we'd have more to talk about. Wink In my unfortunate personal experience, "non-denominational Bible Study" tends to mean "Evangelicals looking to recruit people to the True Christianity ™ ".

Gasp

[Image: SJpOTW6.gif?zoom=2]

Seems like an accurate representation of the last Bible Study I was invited to, if the fencing was done with words! Meanwhile, even as a Catholic, I can so very much appreciate Seth's Copycats speech where he hits out at Evangelical Christianity in America's penchant for stealing all the good ideas and then releasing a cheap knock off version. (Hell, may re-listen to it while grading papers, start out with some 80s Christian hair metal bands and all...)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-09-2017, 04:51 PM
(26-09-2017 01:14 PM)wendigo Wrote:  And how did that happen before life on earth developed? That's the discussion here.

No it's not. How many times are you gonna move the goal posts in this thread—which you started by saying "The moral compass as made famous by the Holy Bible aligns (almost) perfectly with my gut feeling on right and wrong, biology, etc."

Quote:Since we don't know everything, we shouldn't act like we do. That's my entire point in this thread.

The only people who act like they know everything are the religionists—which is why they preach so sententiously to everybody else, and display such self-satisfied superiority.

People of a scientific disposition readily admit to still having a LOT to learn, and this is one of the prime tenets of the scientific method, that is, further hypothesising, experimentation, replication, and the development of new, proven theories.

On the other hand are the religionists, who're rigidly set in their ways, and who totally refuse to further investigate—or investigate at all—the claims made in their holy books. These claims were largely made thousands of years ago, and their purported "truths" are never investigated now, from a purely impartial perspective. And one of the reasons this is the case is simple; it stems from an underlying fear of finding out they're largely bullshit.

And your "entire point" now seems to be defending your silly claim about the accuracy of the holy [sic ] bible.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 9 users Like SYZ's post
26-09-2017, 04:57 PM
(26-09-2017 04:35 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Seems like an accurate representation of the last Bible Study I was invited to,

You should come to one of Girly's Bible Studies, Catholic. Bring your priests.

[Image: zYnGp1n.gif]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-09-2017, 05:13 PM
(26-09-2017 04:51 PM)SYZ Wrote:  The only people who act like they know everything are the religionists—which is why they preach so sententiously to everybody else, and display such self-satisfied superiority.

People of a scientific disposition readily admit to still having a LOT to learn, and this is one of the prime tenets of the scientific method, that is, further hypothesising, experimentation, replication, and the development of new, proven theories.

On the other hand are the religionists, who're rigidly set in their ways, and who totally refuse to further investigate—or investigate at all—the claims made in their holy books. These claims were largely made thousands of years ago, and their purported "truths" are never investigated now, from a purely impartial perspective. And one of the reasons this is the case is simple; it stems from an underlying fear of finding out they're largely bullshit.

And your "entire point" now seems to be defending your silly claim about the accuracy of the holy [sic ] bible.

I didn't say the Bible was accurate, just that it has some good moral lessons, the ones most Christians live by. You claim that religious types are always trying to force feed you their ideology; that's not been my experience. Of course some do, but mostly they're relatively nice people who are doing the best they can based on what they know. Is that so hard to understand? You're probably right that they're afraid to find out they've been living a lie. I'd feel terrible to know that my neighbors and/or a large part of my community were suffering with such a existential crisis. You guys, on the other hand, delight in seeing people broken down, mock them instead of help them, and think of them as something less that yourselves. That seems like what you claim to detest about "religious" people. Look in the mirror motherfuckers.
26-09-2017, 05:14 PM
(26-09-2017 04:06 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Nobody said it was God. I said, and the other guy defended my viewpoint which brought me to rna, that we don't know everything.

Once again, you fail to show where one of us has said that. No one here has said that science knows everything.

(26-09-2017 04:06 PM)wendigo Wrote:  We don't even know if we can perceive everything properly.

This is a presuppositionalist argument. Until our senses are proven to be defective, we assume that they are correct.

(26-09-2017 04:06 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Seriously, where the fuck have you stupid cunts been for the last 100 years of science?

Evolving?

(26-09-2017 04:06 PM)wendigo Wrote:  The greatest question in biology is how life on earth formed! It has not been answered. The greatest question in physics is "what is gravity", not to mention reconciling quantum mechanics with the theory of general relativity.

Again, I repeat: If and when these questions are answered it will be science, not religion that provides the answers.

(26-09-2017 04:06 PM)wendigo Wrote:  I originally wanted to simply state that the Bible has some good teachings, that make evolutionary sense, therefore we should take it easy on the Christians who try to do good, because I noticed quite quickly that most here are on the warpath and viciously insult other people who happen to be christian trying to do some good.

WHICH TEACHINGS???

CHILD SACRIFICE???
THE DOCTRINE OF HELL???
SLAVERY?
RAPE?
GENOCIDE?

I missed the part about evolution tho...

I GOT FUCKING DISTRACTED WHEN I READ THE PART ABOUT A FATHER SELLING HIS DAUGHTER TO HER RAPIST...

TELL YOU WHAT: SHOW ME THE PASSAGE WHERE JESUS SAYS THAT SLAVERY IS WRONG.

(26-09-2017 04:06 PM)wendigo Wrote:  My mistake: one can't even get you people to stop thinking a well-meaning atheist is not a cloaked Christian here to lecture you. Fuck off you stupid assholes!

Whiny little bitch, aren't you? Drinking Beverage

(26-09-2017 04:06 PM)wendigo Wrote:  If you can't fucking read, that's not my fault. There are only a couple of posters on here who have addressed the topic, the rest of you simply engage in ad hominem attacks, whilst accusing me of committing logical fallacies. Idiots! Laugh out load

Drinking Beverage toodles.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 8 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
26-09-2017, 05:26 PM
(26-09-2017 10:20 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(26-09-2017 10:12 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Let's imagine we went through the whole of the bible, and each time we came across some sort of command or moral judgement, we rated it as good or bad. How would this stack up?

Obviously everyone would come to a slightly different conclusion, because of their own personal morality. But I'm guessing most decent people, if they were being honest, would struggle to find 25% of the things in the book being good. I've not tried this, so it could end up a lot worse than this even. Maybe as low as 5-10%.

I'd be highly suspicious of someone who found it over 50% good. I wouldn't want to meet them at night in a dark alleyway.

Ya but that's only because you are a no good stinking heathen whore, if you had the inspiration of the holy spirit you would know how to properly interpret gods holy word. Wink Tongue

What about those Biblical inerrencists who insist that the bible is "self-interpreting"? Ohmy

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
26-09-2017, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2017 06:05 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-09-2017 04:27 AM)wendigo Wrote:  
(25-09-2017 10:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Did the fucker pretend he was an atheist first? Welp, won't be seeing that asshole again if he's got any sense of self-worth whatsoever. These are the fuckers who give Jesus a bad name.

I'm not pretending to be anything. I know the basics of the bible, how could I not? We hear about it everyday everywhere we go. I' don't even know what you guys mean with false christian and false atheist. I was just born into a family that had no religion on either side, never went to church etc.

I was talking about the Targaryen idiot. Might've confused the two of you after you called him your hero or somesuch stupid shit. .... But, on further consideration, naming yourself after an Algonquian cannibal monster or evil spirit native to the northern forests of the Atlantic Coast and Great Lakes Region of both the United States and Canada, does not engender great confidence in your sincerity either.

Is it customary practice for trolls to name themselves after mythical trolls? Sounds like something they would do. I know I would.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-09-2017, 05:44 PM
(26-09-2017 05:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I was talking about the Targaryen idiot. Might've confused the two of you after you called him your hero or somesuch shit. .... But, on further consideration, naming yourself after an Algonquian cannibal monster or evil spirit native to the northern forests of the Atlantic Coast and Great Lakes Region of both the United States and Canada, does not give me great confidence in your sincerity either.

Is it customary practice for trolls to name themselves after mythical trolls? Sounds like something they would do.

Yeah, I caught that too.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
26-09-2017, 05:49 PM
(26-09-2017 05:13 PM)wendigo Wrote:  I'd feel terrible to know that my neighbors and/or a large part of my community were suffering with such a existential crisis. You guys, on the other hand, delight in seeing people broken down, mock them instead of help them, and think of them as something less that yourselves. That seems like what you claim to detest about "religious" people.

Most atheists mind their own business. After all, we are surrounded by religious people and even like them when they aren't going on about their religious ideas.

We discuss our ideas here, at an atheist forum. Unlike religious people, we don't get points for converts, so we don't really have to change anyone's mind. But any religious people who wander in obviously want either A) to hear what we really think, or B) to preach to us. So we are honest with the first group and mock the second for their bad ideas and arrogance.

We would love for people to realize their religious ideas are not worthy of them. So how do we atheists convey that message to the world at large?

No suggestions? I didn't think so.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post