I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2017, 09:11 AM
RE: I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...
(27-09-2017 08:31 AM)wendigo Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 08:23 AM)morondog Wrote:  It's the same everywhere in the world. And your claims to be an atheist wear thinner every time you repeat them. Where the fuck did you get this stupid idea that we have to toe some line?

Yes how stupid of me. So you think that when you see Trump or Clinton or Obama up there saying, "God this and God that...one great nation under God", that they really believe that bullshit, and aren't just trying to appease the bovine masses to get votes? Or when they put that fucking idiodic skull cap on and kiss that wall in Israel that they have deep sensitivity for the Jewish faith and it's tenets? They'd have their proverbial heads ripped off in social media in America for that. Not so in other parts of the world. America one one big fuck-up, a perversion of a great many ideologies all balled into one. Are you people really this naive?

Love it that someone who calls religious people he doesn't like "bovine masses" is tut-tutting about other atheists not respecting christians.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like julep's post
27-09-2017, 09:13 AM
(27-09-2017 08:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 08:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  Nice change of topic there, dumbfuck. I guess you couldn't answer so decided to deflect with some random bullshit about politics.

Deflection does seem to be the modus operandi here. I've lost track of the number of times he's avoided responding by changing the subject.

He's especially avoiding the numerous questions about what he meant about "lifestyles" and evolutionary morality.
27-09-2017, 09:37 AM
(27-09-2017 08:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 08:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  Nice change of topic there, dumbfuck. I guess you couldn't answer so decided to deflect with some random bullshit about politics.

Deflection does seem to be the modus operandi here. I've lost track of the number of times he's avoided responding by changing the subject.

Also completely ignores requests to specify what he means when he says that "the Bible has some good teachings, that make evolutionary sense"
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
27-09-2017, 09:43 AM
(27-09-2017 09:37 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Also completely ignores requests to specify what he means when he says that "the Bible has some good teachings, that make evolutionary sense"

Apparently, we'll have to guess then. I think he means the world evolved in 6 days and then god rested on the 7th. Drinking Beverage

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
27-09-2017, 09:46 AM
(27-09-2017 08:53 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 08:20 AM)wendigo Wrote:  Again, we're back to America. I touched on this issue in one of my other posts. Not all Christians or churches throughout the world teach and behave that way. Furthermore, you're talking about the Christians and American politics. Those are mostly atheists who have to tow the line and go to church once a year.

[Citation needed]

I see no basis for that claim. The best I can see is that you're pulling a No True Scotsman, just declaring American fundamentalist Christians to not be true Christians.

I'm basing that on they way people here have reacted, saying that christians in america try to shove their philosophy down otherĀ“s throats. Since that's not how it is everywhere, one can conclude that christians in america (at least a large part of them, according to thinking atheist) are fundamentalists. The only times I've gone off topic is when someone has dragged things off topic with ad hominem attacks and outright insults.
27-09-2017, 09:46 AM
(27-09-2017 09:37 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 08:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Deflection does seem to be the modus operandi here. I've lost track of the number of times he's avoided responding by changing the subject.

Also completely ignores requests to specify what he means when he says that "the Bible has some good teachings, that make evolutionary sense"

Maybe he means making your sheep look at striped sticks in order to increase the number of striped animals in the flock....

I'm still trying to figure out how xians get good moral teachings from the bible without first knowing how to tell the good ones from the bad ones. I don't expect an answer.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
27-09-2017, 09:49 AM
(27-09-2017 09:13 AM)julep Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 08:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Deflection does seem to be the modus operandi here. I've lost track of the number of times he's avoided responding by changing the subject.

He's especially avoiding the numerous questions about what he meant about "lifestyles" and evolutionary morality.

Am I then? I mentioned fairly early on that I was referring to family units, union of man and woman, community and so on. You've just skimmed over it and I've been told for about the last 20-30 pages or so that I don't have a stance and that I'm being deliberately vague. This is why I mentioned that the other poster a while back must be illiterate, and possibly a moron.
27-09-2017, 10:03 AM
(26-09-2017 04:06 PM)wendigo Wrote:  If you can't fucking read, that's not my fault. There are only a couple of posters on here who have addressed the topic, the rest of you simply engage in ad hominem attacks, whilst accusing me of committing logical fallacies. Idiots! Laugh out load

Calling you an idiot in place of a rebuttal or argument is a ad hominen fallacy.

Calling you an idiot in addition to showing up your stupid punk ass bitch self? That is not an ad hominen, as showing how mentally inept you are is incidental to the point already being made.

Likewise just calling you a cunt, because you're acting like a cunt, also not an ad hominen attack; because there's no logical fallacy to be had if we're just insulting you.

Turns out that, yes, we can have our cake and eat it too.

Twatwaffle.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
27-09-2017, 10:05 AM
(27-09-2017 09:49 AM)wendigo Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 09:13 AM)julep Wrote:  He's especially avoiding the numerous questions about what he meant about "lifestyles" and evolutionary morality.

Am I then? I mentioned fairly early on that I was referring to family units, union of man and woman, community and so on.

The quote from your OP was
Quote:I feel that to deny the obvious core ideas at the heart of the bible is folly, not because a God commands it, but because it makes moral, biological/evolutional and physical sense.

The "core ideas" in the bible include polygamy, rape, and incest and claiming that those make moral sense is a difficult sell. If you ignore those and cherry-pick only things you want to defend as moral then that belies your contention that the bible is a good source of moral teachings because you need some other criteria to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It is not at all clear what connection you are trying to make between morality and evolution or what you mean by it making "physical" sense.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
27-09-2017, 10:19 AM
(27-09-2017 10:05 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 09:49 AM)wendigo Wrote:  Am I then? I mentioned fairly early on that I was referring to family units, union of man and woman, community and so on.

The quote from your OP was
Quote:I feel that to deny the obvious core ideas at the heart of the bible is folly, not because a God commands it, but because it makes moral, biological/evolutional and physical sense.

The "core ideas" in the bible include polygamy, rape, and incest and claiming that those make moral sense is a difficult sell. If you ignore those and cherry-pick only things you want to defend as moral then that belies your contention that the bible is a good source of moral teachings because you need some other criteria to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It is not at all clear what connection you are trying to make between morality and evolution or what you mean by it making "physical" sense.

So those core ideas you listed, polygamy, rape, incest...that's what you think Christians take away with them when they come walking out of church on Sunday? If you just want to agrue then say so... I'm all for it. Please don't get ridiculous though. I already said I could have worded my original post more thoughtfully. Consider this: what would I have to say or do in this thread now, to "win you over"? Short of grovelling and backing down on my opinion, and admitting you are all right for the potentially next several dozens of pages, there is literally nothing. That is to say, your opinions about the things we all try with science and philosophy/religion (even if religion is misguided) to understand are "correct" and evrything else is unacceptable and deserving of scorn. Doesn't give me much hope for the future here. Dodgy