I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2017, 02:15 PM
RE: I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...
(27-09-2017 02:04 PM)Emma Wrote:  Oh holy hell, what a fuckin thread this one is. I can't even bother to try to catch up on reading 380+ posts. Wow... But I had to see if my suspicions were correct when I read "biological/evolutional and physical sense", because that's a really strange way to phrase your approval of morality.

So, reading the OP, my thought was... hmm, is this gonna be homophobic or transphobic or something?

And yuuuuup, appears so, from reading this last page! Facepalm

By the way, deciding if something is "evolutionary beneficial" is an exceptionally awful basis for one's morality.

So you've decide that I'm "phobic" because i think that tight-knit families and community and a strong desire to do what makes sense is productive? I can see reality precisely because I'm an atheist. Tell, me, what does "makes sense" mean to you? Where do your "correct" morals come from? Just a feeling? You just know? It's inside you? Ie what makes you weigh a decision and decide it's right or wrong? If it's just inborn, we're talking evolution here. If it's anything else, it's some form of ideology. Mine comes from impartial science and common sense, the latter of which you seem to lack slightly. Not all ideologies have a book by the way. They get made up each and every day to suit the present agenda of cringe-worthy SJWs like yourself. So what you say is moral, IS moral, right? Everything else is complete bullshit and those who adhere to it must have a phobia of your perceived correctness. Yeah, you know best. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2017, 02:15 PM
(27-09-2017 02:04 PM)Emma Wrote:  Oh holy hell, what a fuckin thread this one is. I can't even bother to try to catch up on reading 380+ posts. Wow... But I had to see if my suspicions were correct when I read "biological/evolutional and physical sense", because that's a really strange way to phrase your approval of morality.

So, reading the OP, my thought was... hmm, is this gonna be homophobic or transphobic or something?

And yuuuuup, appears so, from reading this last page! Facepalm

By the way, deciding if something is "evolutionary beneficial" is an exceptionally awful basis for one's morality.

Actually, I think morality basically has "evolved", in a way analogous to how physical traits evolve. Societies with "good" morals tend to survive, and those with "bad" morals (such as people killing each other indiscriminately) tend not to. The morality that "works" is what has survived.

However, as with physical traits, this is not something that anyone decides. It happens by natural selection.
27-09-2017, 02:17 PM
Well, I'm going to sleep now. When I wake up and check back in from work 7 hours from now, I expect this Wendigo mess to be mopped up. I know we all enjoy playing with the next chew toy, but the flavor from this one is already gone, and now it's just making a mess all over the place.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
27-09-2017, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2017 02:28 PM by wendigo.)
(27-09-2017 02:11 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 12:43 PM)wendigo Wrote:  In my 45 years I've been all over North America, living and working, half my family are staunch atheists, half are Christians of various faiths. My best friend growing up was the son of a baptist minister, and has now left the church to pursue a life of hedonistic partying (his words). I have lived in Germany in the catholic area of Bavaria, as well as worked here for 14 years. I have students from all walks of life, and friends from all over the world. Some are black, some are gay, some are vegan, some in England, some are christians in Thailand. My wife's aunt is a Catholic nun, my dad a hardcore right winger and supporter of the former Reform Party of Canada. I have a son, who like his dad speaks two or more languages and knows people from all over, even the States. I've been to Australia, Tibet, most of Europe, the UK...

Oh dear... the old appeal to false authority fallacy.

Sorry: Bzzzzzzzzzzzz... please leave the forum. Tongue

That's no appeal to authority. I was accused of not knowing a thing about what the rest of the world is like. I'm simply stating that i do, quite a bit, and provided the only evidence I have to support my claim. I don't have written and stamped documentation of everywhere I've been, and who i know and don't know, nor of their lifestyles, opinions, or ideologies. You'll have to take my word for it. What chance do I have to explain abstractions if I'm required to provide hard evidence? Or is the Great Question just cut and dried for you, old news? I'm going to wonder about why life/the universe exists and try to make sense of it right until the minute I die, and also wonder if there is even a why, and then die, and fully expect to receive no answer at all. Do you ever listen to Carl Sagan? He was immensely critical of Religion, but he also desperately tried to get people to realize we all live on one planet and to find ways to co-exist, to stop butting heads. He's my hero, for anyone who's reading this thread and who still cares. Dawkins as well, though he borders on anti-religionist. I understand why. He also has the patience of a saint when dealing with devout christians. Why can't you all?
27-09-2017, 02:26 PM
(27-09-2017 01:56 PM)wendigo Wrote:  But the reason "christians in prison" was mentioned at all was to show how "bad" they really are by another poster. Of course we know why they convert, that only serves to destroy his argument that "christians arent doing as well as you think, wendigo" or whatever the exact phrasing was. That's exactly my point, dont you see that?

The reason it was mentioned was to help illustrate that being xian doesn't make you "good", not that it makes you "bad". Not that I expect you will see the distinction.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
27-09-2017, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2017 02:48 PM by wendigo.)
(27-09-2017 02:15 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Actually, I think morality basically has "evolved", in a way analogous to how physical traits evolve. Societies with "good" morals tend to survive, and those with "bad" morals (such as people killing each other indiscriminately) tend not to. The morality that "works" is what has survived.

However, as with physical traits, this is not something that anyone decides. It happens by natural selection.

I'm going to get this guy to write all my future posts. He's much more to the point.
27-09-2017, 02:35 PM
(27-09-2017 02:26 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 01:56 PM)wendigo Wrote:  But the reason "christians in prison" was mentioned at all was to show how "bad" they really are by another poster. Of course we know why they convert, that only serves to destroy his argument that "christians arent doing as well as you think, wendigo" or whatever the exact phrasing was. That's exactly my point, dont you see that?

The reason it was mentioned was to help illustrate that being xian doesn't make you "good", not that it makes you "bad". Not that I expect you will see the distinction.

I do see that distinction, if it were applicable. It doesn't help illustrate though. He fallaciously said that most folks in prison are christians, therefore how good can christians be if the "bad" people in prison are christians? This has so many problems I don't even know where to begin. By the virtue of the fact that they AREN'T christians, but rather converts out of necessity as you and I have both pointed out, the point is rendered moot.
27-09-2017, 02:39 PM
(27-09-2017 02:17 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Well, I'm going to sleep now. When I wake up and check back in from work 7 hours from now, I expect this Wendigo mess to be mopped up. I know we all enjoy playing with the next chew toy, but the flavor from this one is already gone, and now it's just making a mess all over the place.

Now this fucker want's to chew me. Don't worry, I have more sauce for when the taste fades. Big Grin
27-09-2017, 02:48 PM
(27-09-2017 01:07 PM)whateverist Wrote:  I'll give you one thing, Wenabago, you're nothing if not persistent.

So I'm going to make a concession: I believe your thesis "I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)" is probably true. You no doubt do believe that. Of course what you do or don't believe isn't really all that significant for the rest of us.

As I've said several times, I should have worded that differently. I meant "christianity as it's practiced by most christians the world over". I honeslty just said "bible" because i didn't really think about the difference too much , and i didn't anticipate the mega-backlash that I got. Sadcryface2 I still stand by the content though. I'm sorry if you think it's insignificant. I am persistent though. If I stop posting, you can safely assume I've died at my computer from an irony-induced heart attack.
27-09-2017, 02:52 PM
(27-09-2017 02:48 PM)wendigo Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 01:07 PM)whateverist Wrote:  I'll give you one thing, Wenabago, you're nothing if not persistent.

So I'm going to make a concession: I believe your thesis "I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)" is probably true. You no doubt do believe that. Of course what you do or don't believe isn't really all that significant for the rest of us.

As I've said several times, I should have worded that differently. I meant "christianity as it's practiced by most christians the world over". I honeslty just said "bible" because i didn't really think about the difference too much , and i didn't anticipate the mega-backlash that I got. Sadcryface2 I still stand by the content though. I'm sorry if you think it's insignificant. I am persistent though. If I stop posting, you can safely assume I've died at my computer from an irony-induced heart attack.

What is different from Christianity as practiced by most Christians the world over different from... how most people are living over the world?

At all... especially if you are one to seemingly think less people are Christian than those who say they are, that's even more non Christians of good everyday living. You also seem to be sprinkling some nice no true scottsmaning or special understanding of what level of belief x people have or not.

I still don't see where Christianity comes into play with your thoughts. Is it them having more kids than atheists or something with family unit and community, because it's nothing different from regular non Christians that I see you making this about

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson