I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2017, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2017 04:56 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...
(27-09-2017 04:14 PM)wendigo Wrote:  I just said that the most important ones (read "the one most people live by who are christian") overlap with evolution and our inborn instincts".

Totally completely 100 % false. There is no "most important ones". It's a fake non-existent superficial idea.

There is no ''centrist" (all encompassing) general position that unites the 33,000 Christian sects on anything. The Evangelicals have their own, the Catholics have their own, the liberal Protestants have their own. They all have differing positions on abortions, same-sex marriage, and divorce. Catholics, who number in the billions on the planet, and millions in this country feel perfectly comfortable excluding divorced people from their most important act of worship (communion), alienating and marginalizing them. They also exclude gay people and women from full acceptance and communion in their communities. Each of the differing brands of Fundamentalist Christianity exclude, alienate and marginalize their own particular brand's set of the "unacceptables". Anyone who has experienced this rejection (except very recently by some of the liberal mainline Protestant sects) knows what bullshit this OP is and the false anecdotal bullshit claims made here, by this ignoramus trying to say "it's all OK". It's not OK, and they have a LONG way to go to live down their centuries of bullshit. 10 % of Americans are EX-Catholics. One of the main reasons so many have left is the complete failure to protect children and and deal with pedophilia in the Churches. The Bible acted as no guide to anyone in these situations, nor did it comfort those abused who had their lives ruined by the clerics they trusted. So yeah. This thread is false on every conceivable level. Totally, completely bullshit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-09-2017, 04:42 PM
(27-09-2017 04:14 PM)wendigo Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 03:42 PM)Emma Wrote:  You are deliberately choosing a devolved moral position- not even out of religious piety and conviction, but because you already agree with some of the ideas within.

No, I'm not choosing a devolved position. Does trying to consider all aspects of something qualify as devolved? You're claiming that my entire morality is based on my topic in an internet forum called "the bible mostly has correct morals"
, ie therefore that must encompass most of my moral position. I just said that the most important ones (read "the one most people live by who are christian") overlap with evolution and our inborn instincts". I find it very strange that I end up having to take his side of this topic among supposedly fellow atheists. The golden rule one of you said...isn't that what I'm advocating? Some one here in the first pages belittled my comment on what I think "sound" morals are by declaring it "just some form of the golden rule" as if that's a shitty rule. It's the rule of any society no matter how old, pre-dating the Bible.
You here don't like the golden rule. You like being able to quickly compartmentalize people to elevate yourselves, and stash them in a box labled "devolved"

Nobody here objects to the golden rule. What we are objecting to is your equating "the morality practiced by most Christians" to that of the Bible, when these two things are really not a close match, and most of what they do practice (including the golden rule) is not exclusive to the Bible. Anyone who completely followed the morality of the Bible today would be in prison. Your OP and the thread title were, at best, a poor choice of words. Admit it.
[+] 4 users Like Grasshopper's post
27-09-2017, 04:44 PM
(27-09-2017 04:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Another whiner...are we having a convention or something?

Nobody was whining until a few of us atheists got our knickers in a knot.
27-09-2017, 04:52 PM
(27-09-2017 04:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 04:14 PM)wendigo Wrote:  I just said that the most important ones (read "the one most people live by who are christian") overlap with evolution and our inborn instincts".

Totally completely 100 % false. There is no "most important ones". It's a fake non-existent idea.

There is no ''centrist" (all encompassing) general position that unites the 33,000 Christian sects on anything. The Evangelicals have their own, the Catholics have their own, the liberal Protestants have their own. They all have differing positions on abortions, same-sex marriage, and divorce. Catholics, who number in the billions on the planet, and millions in this country feel perfectly comfortable excluding their divorced members from their most important act of worship (communion) if the person is divorced, thus alienating and marginalizing them. They also exclude gay people and women from full acceptance and communion in their communities. Each of the differing brands of Fundamentalist Christianity exclude, alienate and marginalize their own particular brand's set of the "unacceptable" people. Anyone who has experienced this rejection (except very recently by the liberal mainline Protestant sects) knows what bullshit this OP is and the false anecdotal bullshit claims made here, by the fool trying to say "it's all OK". It's not OK, and they have a LONG way to go to live down their centuries of bullshit. And last, 10 % of Americans are EX-Catholics. One of the main reasons so many have left is the complete failure to protect children and and deal with pedophilia in the Church. The Bible acted as no guide to anyone in these situations, nor did it comfort those abused who had their lives ruined by the clerics they trusted. So yeah. This thread is false on every conceivable level. Totally, completely bullshit.

At least they don't forbid men with crushed testicles from entering the church (yes, this is specified in the Old Testament), so there has been some progress.

Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
27-09-2017, 04:54 PM
(27-09-2017 04:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Totally completely 100 % false. There is no "most important ones". It's a fake non-existent idea.

There is no ''centrist" (all encompassing) general position that unites the 33,000 Christian sects on anything. The Evangelicals have their own, the Catholics have their own, the liberal Protestants have their own. They all have differing positions on abortions, same-sex marriage, and divorce. Catholics, who number in the billions on the planet, and millions in this country feel perfectly comfortable excluding their divorced members from their most important act of worship (communion) if the person is divorced, thus alienating and marginalizing them. They also exclude gay people and women from full acceptance and communion in their communities. Each of the differing brands of Fundamentalist Christianity exclude, alienate and marginalize their own particular brand's set of the "unacceptable" people. Anyone who has experienced this rejection (except very recently by the liberal mainline Protestant sects) knows what bullshit this OP is and the false anecdotal bullshit claims made here, by the fool trying to say "it's all OK". It's not OK, and they have a LONG way to go to live down their centuries of bullshit. And last, 10 % of Americans are EX-Catholics. One of the main reasons so many have left is the complete failure to protect children and and deal with pedophilia in the Church. The Bible acted as no guide to anyone in these situations, nor did it comfort those abused who had their lives ruined by the clerics they trusted. So yeah. This thread is false on every conceivable level. Totally, completely bullshit.

Yes, so many different takes. And which groups of those do you show the slightest shred of decency to in your comments on this anonymous forum? Zero. You need to be contrary just for the sake of it. We were saying that the bible has some good points, and that the christians mostly ignore the bad and take the good (ie variations of the golden rule, which we hashed out and agreed were definitely always present in humans and animals. Just like atheists, but they read it in a book, and you all just knew it.
27-09-2017, 04:55 PM
(27-09-2017 04:44 PM)wendigo Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 04:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Another whiner...are we having a convention or something?

So the answer is yes on the whining. Good to know.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
27-09-2017, 04:55 PM

I tried being nice and my first reply was politely disagreeing. Nothing of mine was "in a knot," yet you started blanket assertions and complaints.

So who had what in a knot?
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
27-09-2017, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2017 05:03 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(27-09-2017 04:54 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Yes, so many different takes. And which groups of those do you show the slightest shred of decency to in your comments on this anonymous forum? Zero. You need to be contrary just for the sake of it.

Thanks pops. Good to know you think you can read minds. No wonder you make such crappy claims about your experiences. You make it up and tell yourself it's true. Laugh out load

Quote:We were saying that the bible has some good points, and that the christians mostly ignore the bad and take the good (ie variations of the golden rule, which we hashed out and agreed were definitely always present in humans and animals. Just like atheists, but they read it in a book, and you all just knew it.

Was that supposed to make sense ? The golden rule is not "always present" in any human or any animal. Just more made up bullshit.
Altruism is present sometimes in some animals and in some humans.
You really are a simpleton.
Time for your pills.
Consider 5 guests
Are we in Apologetics class at Biola ? Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-09-2017, 05:13 PM

[Image: ZBpR0Sc%20-%20Imgur_zps2x0ub2nf.gif]

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
27-09-2017, 05:19 PM
(27-09-2017 04:35 PM)wendigo Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 04:17 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Why do you attribute the so called Sunday school lessons to Christianity at all. These are the points that show its the picked and chosen lessons because it ignores what were and are still core values of the religions.

Where do you believe moral guidence and values come from to people? Are you of the believe people get their morals from their religion and texts, or religious lessons?

For example you just threw down the golden rule? Do you think that is a good moral guidence? Seems so by your use... but that's not biblical or Christian in origin or taught. It existed prior in forms of Egyptian or in Chinese moral practice and was not made popular or famous by the bible and Christianity. If these are the types of hood morals you are thinking.

Why is it Christians and not all people you connect it too?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Because the Christians are the topic here. The Bible, remember? The golden rule is as old a humanity. Even in animals. It is the best moral guidance. They problem arises, when people like you guys seem to mock people who also believe in the golden rule, because they read it in a book they were fed since the day they were born. They want to be good just like you, but you figure they're unworthy and should go away.

It's not in the bible... they didn't read in a book about Christianity if they did read it in a book.

Christianity is the topic because you think you're saying something relevant to them but zero of what you're defining in these posts has anything to do with Christians.

It seems your whole point is don't make fun of good people... that's it, then make that your statement. Why are You trying this to religion?

I think you should get into some morality discussions elsewhere or here because your view of how morality works or is learned may be what comes off as weird on this whole topic.

The golden rule is also not the best guidence, it is flawed in scope because personal desire can manipulate it. The Platinum rule is more modernly expressed, through philosophy, and expresses a more successful way to treat people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post