I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2017, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2017 07:58 PM by Full Circle.)
RE: I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...
(30-09-2017 05:54 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Every single advantage we have in the west stems from the rule of Christianity, all the way back to discoveries in physics and math that set us on the right path.

[Image: EM9rl6c.gif?zoom=2]

Take a look at the last 1000 years of Christianity and say that again.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
30-09-2017, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2017 08:27 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(30-09-2017 05:54 PM)wendigo Wrote:  I'm afraid you're all a bit off. You disgruntled ex-Cringe-stians don't have the slightest fucking clue about reality in this word. The shit you spew here probably seems right for you on paper. Every single advantage we have in the west stems from the rule of Christianity, all the way back to discoveries in physics and math that set us on the right path. Of course the Bible is a story, but the main points have got us where we are because of people with initiative and reason, who strive to elevate the human race through a survival instict to do the best for the common good. Only a small few of you even know the slightest about reasoning, maybe a few who did a first year uni course where they learn "no true Scotsman!" That's the facts, y'all, whether you basement dwellers realize it, or like it, or not. Your constant pedantic moaning over the finer points of someones wording is moot. Have a life that's epiphany-free, dummies! Wink

Christians were stuck in the dark ages for 1000 years until the Arabs reintroduced them to Greek and Roman writings, which led to the Renaissance. So perhaps you should be thanking Muhammad and Islam instead.
[+] 7 users Like Thoreauvian's post
30-09-2017, 08:24 PM
(30-09-2017 05:54 PM)wendigo Wrote:  I'm afraid you're all a bit off.

All? There you go again.

(30-09-2017 05:54 PM)wendigo Wrote:  ...
Every single advantage we have in the west stems from the rule of Christianity, all the way back to discoveries in physics and math that set us on the right path.

Hey, class. Hands up all those who immediately thought of Galileo? "Eppur si muove"

And who thought of, "Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là."?

elevate the human race through a survival [instinct] to do the best for the common good.

Except, of course, Divinity Ethics (sanctity and sin, purity and pollution, elevation and degradation) are oft times at odds with Community Ethics (duty, hierarchy, respect, reputation, and patriotism)...

"Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."

Dodgy

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
30-09-2017, 08:30 PM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2017 10:49 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Actually, if he ever goes to school, he'll discover in Anthropology (101) it's not the "common good" that survival works for, but the (specific) "group". What's good for one group is not always good for another group.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-09-2017, 08:32 PM
(30-09-2017 08:24 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Hey, class. Hands up all those who immediately thought of Galileo? "Eppur si muove"

[Image: AHth27K.gif?zoom=2]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
30-09-2017, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2017 12:30 AM by EvolutionKills.)

Look out folks, the peanut gallery is going to enlighten us! Riveting stuff I'm sure...

(30-09-2017 05:54 PM)wendigo Wrote:  You disgruntled ex-Cringe-stians don't have the slightest fucking clue about reality in this word.

Too bad for you many of us here were never Christian to begin with, or only nominally 'culturally' Christian. You know, the ones that would never go to church and otherwise did not display any overt Christianity (like praying in public or bringing up Jesus in casual conversation), but would still fill in 'Christian' for lack of anything better on a census survey.

Really devout hardcore shit there, let me tell you...

(30-09-2017 05:54 PM)wendigo Wrote:  The shit you spew here probably seems right for you on paper.

As opposed to what, your fever-dreamed imagination?

(30-09-2017 05:54 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Every single advantage we have in the west stems from the rule of Christianity, all the way back to discoveries in physics and math that set us on the right path.

Did you know 'arithmetic' is derived from Arabic? That the Muslims introduced us to the mathematical concept of zero? That it was the classical Muslims who are responsible for two thirds of the identified and named stars in the sky? That it was they who preserved the knowledge of the ancient Greeks and Romans, and later passed that knowledge on back to Europe, after it spent centuries tearing itself apart wallowing in the filth that was the Christian Dark Ages?

One does not put a man on the moon by following Biblical cosmology.

Also, if he could, Galileo would be spinning in his grave at that asinine assertion.

(30-09-2017 05:54 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Of course the Bible is a story, but the main points have got us where we are because of people with initiative and reason, who strive to elevate the human race through a survival instict[sic] to do the best for the common good.

Its 'main points' are irrelevant, because nobody can agree on what the main points are; hence the splintering of Christianity into thousands of competing sects. Also, faith is belief without or in spite of evidence, just about the most unreasonable thing anyone can ask of you; and the Bible is awash in demanding faith from adherents. Doubting Thomas might get his proof, but the rest of us are instructed to do without.

When the slave owners and the abolitionists both can cite chapter and verse in defense of their position, the Bible has utterly failed in its capacity as a moral compass.

(30-09-2017 05:54 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Only a small few of you even know the slightest about reasoning, maybe a few who did a first year uni course where they learn "no true Scotsman!" That's the facts, y'all, whether you basement dwellers realize it, or like it, or not.

Hardly. But why actually address the points being contested when you can instead deflect and cast aspersions?

(30-09-2017 05:54 PM)wendigo Wrote:  Your constant pedantic moaning over the finer points of someones wording is moot. Have a life that's epiphany-free, dummies! Wink

Sure, blame everyone else for your failure to communicate properly; that's the sign of a great communicator! Rolleyes

But thanks for noticing that the divine has indeed failed to reveal itself, leaving us all very literally with epiphany-free lives.

Note for the Slow: That was a vocabulary joke, as I doubt Wendigo was clever enough to realize that the common usage of epiphany is sense three, with the other usages relating to a specific Christian festival built around Matthew 2:1–12, or a revelation/manifestation of the divine. So all of us who require evidence for our beliefs are indeed living 'epiphany-free' lives.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 10 users Like EvolutionKills's post
30-09-2017, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2017 11:21 PM by Cheerful Charlie.)
(30-09-2017 08:24 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

All? There you go again.

Every single advantage we have in the west stems from the rule of Christianity, all the way back to discoveries in physics and math that set us on the right path.

Hey, class. Hands up all those who immediately thought of Galileo? "Eppur si muove"

elevate the human race through a survival [instinct] to do the best for the common good.

Except, of course, Divinity Ethics (sanctity and sin, purity and pollution, elevation and degradation) are oft times at odds with Community Ethics (duty, hierarchy, respect, reputation, and patriotism)...

Dodgy

I immediately thought of the inquisition, the heresy hunts, witch hunts ad religious wars that plagued Christian Europe. Those were good times for civilization, science and ethics. Yes?

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter
- Thomas Jefferson

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 6 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
01-10-2017, 12:51 AM
Christianity has had more of a negative effect than positive on the sciences. A few Christians did have some lasting impacts, but I think you'd be extremely hard pressed to trace their ideas back to the Bible or Christianity. The Bible is way more of an impediment than a stepping stone.

Also good to note that the troll Wendigo has taken to calling Christians "Cringes-tians"... what happened to all that bullshit about how we were down on Christians and should respect them more?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
01-10-2017, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2017 01:05 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(01-10-2017 12:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  Christianity has had more of a negative effect than positive on the sciences. A few Christians did have some lasting impacts, but I think you'd be extremely hard pressed to trace their ideas back to the Bible or Christianity. The Bible is way more of an impediment than a stepping stone.

Francis Collins.

Did amazing work with DNA, headed the Human Genome Project, currently heads the National Institutes of Health. Not once in his professional academic work did he ever need to cite the Bible to explain his work or corroborate his evidence. He is one of the world's preeminent scientists.

But when he wanted to 'prove' his faith? To validate his Christianity? All he had to write about was a personal anecdotes about seeing a frozen stream split into thee parts while out hiking, and perceiving it as an affirmation of his faith in the Trinity. He published that work personally for the public, he did not submit it to peer reviewed journals as evidence for the validity of his faith; because for as compartmentalized as his brain is, even he realized the professional ramifications of pretending that faith is knowledge. His writing on his faith are New York Times Bestsellers, not professionally peer reviewed papers.

(01-10-2017 12:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  Also good to note that the troll Wendigo has taken to calling Christians "Cringes-tians"... what happened to all that bullshit about how we were down on Christians and should respect them more?

Rules only matter when you're not breaking them.

Surely, the behavior of an ethical exemplar. Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-10-2017, 01:04 AM
(30-09-2017 11:14 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  
(30-09-2017 08:24 PM)DLJ Wrote:  All? There you go again.

Dodgy

I immediately thought of the inquisition, the heresy hunts, witch hunts ad religious wars that plagued Christian Europe. Those were good times for civilization, science and ethics. Yes?

Deus lo vult!

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post