I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2017, 09:53 PM
RE: I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...
Man, was that guy ever unhinged ! Shocking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
01-10-2017, 10:00 PM
Oh.. they did come back... and behaved poorly, thence were ejected?

Oh well.
01-10-2017, 10:04 PM
You know, in hindsight, all of this could have been avoided and reduced to simply explaning Wendigo what was the Genetic Fallacy because his entire argument about the positive side of Christianity, particularly the good of various Christian Churches rested on one.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
01-10-2017, 10:10 PM
(01-10-2017 10:04 PM)epronovost Wrote:  You know, in hindsight, all of this could have been avoided and reduced to simply explaning Wendigo what was the Genetic Fallacy because his entire argument about the positive side of Christianity, particularly the good of various Christian Churches rested on one.

Not a chance my dear fellow, Wendy was 100% transmitter 0% receiver.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
01-10-2017, 10:20 PM
(01-10-2017 10:10 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(01-10-2017 10:04 PM)epronovost Wrote:  You know, in hindsight, all of this could have been avoided and reduced to simply explaning Wendigo what was the Genetic Fallacy because his entire argument about the positive side of Christianity, particularly the good of various Christian Churches rested on one.

Not a chance my dear fellow, Wendy was 100% transmitter 0% receiver.

You are probably right on this one, but maybe it would have been less verbose for nothing. I mean, he was listening a little bit. He just didn't like to be told he was completly wrong. Then again, the dude was new and the first thing he wanted to discuss was what he perceived as our bigotry toward religious people (especially the casual Christian types). It's not exactly the best subject to pick as an introduction. Plus, ''genetic fallacy'' is a ''big word''. People who want to look smart respect ''big words'' a lot more than a lot of ''small words'' that actually mean the exact same thing in essence. Maybe we should have attacked his vanity instead of his stupidity?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
01-10-2017, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2017 11:50 PM by Bucky Ball.)
He made the common error ascribing morality to a set of holy books. In fact the holy books reflect the morality already present in culture, and are not (ever) the origins of culture. Religious people point to (cherry-pick) the parts of the books they think are relevant at any given point. The origins of human morality were never the texts themselves. The texts reflected extant culture. So he had it backwards from the start. Human culture is an ever-changing phenomenon. The books -- not so much. It's a well-known field of study. As stated above, his point was the Genetic Fallacy.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-...s-morality

The OP is also the Fallacy of Composition. Christianity was never a "discrete" anything. Ever since the reformation and the sects began to squabble and divide, (as the idea that science was valuable and useful arose) the pattern was the new group (and now there are thousands upon thousands of them) was first isolated and separated and persecuted, before it gained acceptance. The idea that somehow all this ever-changing squabbling and re-inventing was ever a stable "whole" (even internally in the mainline sects) is simply false ... and then to claim that all these ever-squabbling sects were somehow co-incidentally responsible for any major cultural change in themselves, is quite the stretch .. and he never once gave even one example of a single advance or change that was not simply temporally coincident. Of course some tried ... the Pilgrims leaving Europe, the rise of Mormonism etc, but in the end the forces at work in the already extant culture, were the drivers. Until very recently, (with the rise of ecumenism), the sects wouldn't even talk to each other.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
02-10-2017, 01:30 AM
(01-10-2017 10:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-...s-morality

Yeah, no.

A fairly good article but it goes off the rails at the end.

Quote:We have an instinct for affection that leads us to identify with the nurturer and a wish to provide as we have been provided for. "Conscience" is this affection, this sweetness of feeling for others that becomes the essence of morality and source of all social progress.

Not all of us have "an instinct for affection". We have an instinct for affinity and fairness.
"Conscience" is not this affection. Conscience is a baseline / threshold system for event-alerts i.e. a thought-pain (dissonance) system.

'Equilibrium' and 'proximity' are "the essence of morality and source of all social progress."

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
02-10-2017, 04:05 AM
I've decided DLJ and HoC are about as comprehensible as each other... Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
02-10-2017, 06:13 AM
Farewell. Mandingo.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
02-10-2017, 06:48 AM
Wendy had serious issues his posts got more and more demented as time passed at the end it was clear to me he was in complete meltdown and thats from someone who missed him posting the gay cumshot (thankfully) can't believe he did that twice either. Shocking