I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2017, 07:01 PM
RE: I believe the Bible teaches correct morals (mostly)...
(23-09-2017 05:41 PM)JAH Wrote:  I have to say that I think wendigo has been harshly treated here. He was making a point that may be very flawed but one that a lot of people hold even some atheists which he said he was. Some of the early responses about the not so nice aspects of bible morality, particularly from the old testament were spot on. But please the "sermon on the mount" has its moments. And no I did not reread it and will not, so don't climb all over me for the parts that are not so good.

But the responses as time went on got far too personal and nasty. Some obviously assuming because of the title of the thread and the OP itself that he was a christian.

And, shall we be perfectly honest the various forms of christianity catch a lot of shit here. Far more then judaism which has a whole country that is fucking up its neighbors. Or islam which through various mechanisms is fucking up its own countries and its neighbors.

wendigo seemed for the most part sincere. He was not like the occasional christian troll that shows up. I think he should have been thoroughly disabused of his ideas but I think it could have been done in a much less combative manner.

Sincerely drunk as he stated more than once.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2017, 07:47 PM
(23-09-2017 05:41 PM)JAH Wrote:  I have to say that I think wendigo has been harshly treated here. He was making a point that may be very flawed but one that a lot of people hold even some atheists which he said he was. Some of the early responses about the not so nice aspects of bible morality, particularly from the old testament were spot on. But please the "sermon on the mount" has its moments. And no I did not reread it and will not, so don't climb all over me for the parts that are not so good.

But the responses as time went on got far too personal and nasty. Some obviously assuming because of the title of the thread and the OP itself that he was a christian.

And, shall we be perfectly honest the various forms of christianity catch a lot of shit here. Far more then judaism which has a whole country that is fucking up its neighbors. Or islam which through various mechanisms is fucking up its own countries and its neighbors.

wendigo seemed for the most part sincere. He was not like the occasional christian troll that shows up. I think he should have been thoroughly disabused of his ideas but I think it could have been done in a much less combative manner.

Agree. Many replies weren't combative, personal, or nasty, but many seemed surprisingly angry. I don't get the anger.

23-09-2017, 08:02 PM
I went back and reread much of the first 10 pages. I came to the conclusion that my first post here gave wendigo too much credit. I will stand by my statement that there is no reason for incivility to another poster but being a person with anger issues I can see why that happens.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
23-09-2017, 08:43 PM
^meh^ I tried being civil. He chose to engage with people who weren't.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
23-09-2017, 08:54 PM
(23-09-2017 01:18 PM)wendigo Wrote:  I have never in my life met a group of more cringey, pathetic slaptards as I've found in here. Not all but a large portion. Normally if someone talked about my wife like that in person, they'd get the beat-down of a lifetime, but since you're just a collection of self righteous opinionated cellar nerds half way around the world in an unenlighted cluster-fuck backward consumer plantation, I bid you adieu.

[Image: e3a1691f38bad29051bb4769a650ce7b1aae3913...912a0d.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-09-2017, 09:04 PM
(23-09-2017 01:18 PM)wendigo Wrote:  
(23-09-2017 06:08 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  So where do these morals come from? What makes something right or wrong?

Because if you are telling the truth and don't believe that a god commanded them, then you must either believe that there is no right or wrong, or that they come from somewhere else.

You obviously believe that there is such thing as right or wrong otherwise you wouldn't be trying to tell us that the Bible teaches correct morals.

So you must believe that they come from somewhere else. You have often referred to morals making a 'biological/evolutional and physical sense'.

So if the morals from biological instincts for example, why do we need the Bible to tell us what is morally right or wrong? Why not go straight to the source and listen to our own instincts and collectively figure it out as we currently are doing?

Yes what you say is true. Please do me the favour of re-reading my posts. I did not say we need the bible. All i've said is that the bible, as it's practised by most modern christians, happens to align with, as you mentioned, biological in-born "right and wrong" conventions that have gotten the human race this far. Like family units, gender roles, the golden rule etc. I feel like this is enough reason to not take a steaming dump on christians when I encounter them, unlike half the cunts who replied irrationally to my posts . Don't think my wife is qualified to comnent on Christianity? She's evangelical, her aunt is a catholic nun. Don't think I'm a real atheist? I never had religion, nor do I normally waste time giving the slightest fuck about it. That makes me as atheist as it gets, maybe with a different view on some issues than some other atheist. Can't say the same about the ex christian "atheists" on their high horses in here. Not you personally by the way, they know who they are.

I have never in my life met a group of more cringey, pathetic slaptards as I've found in here. Not all but a large portion. Normally if someone talked about my wife like that in person, they'd get the beat-down of a lifetime, but since you're just a collection of self righteous opinionated cellar nerds half way around the world in an unenlighted cluster-fuck backward consumer plantation, I bid you adieu.
What core values and why do you so weakly and almost not at all say what you think those are?

What is your understanding of history... first off Christianity didn't make famous most values it has as it copied them from the Egyptians or Romans and echoed the ongoing from the far East values...

Then the modern Christian practice values don't go put from the bibles core values. That's why what you say and lack of explaining comes off so ignorant. Modern cultures Christian view is conformed by post enlightenment philosophy and social moral focus in societies. Christianity confirmed to that despite itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-09-2017, 09:05 PM
(23-09-2017 01:18 PM)wendigo Wrote:  
(23-09-2017 06:08 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  So where do these morals come from? What makes something right or wrong?

Because if you are telling the truth and don't believe that a god commanded them, then you must either believe that there is no right or wrong, or that they come from somewhere else.

You obviously believe that there is such thing as right or wrong otherwise you wouldn't be trying to tell us that the Bible teaches correct morals.

So you must believe that they come from somewhere else. You have often referred to morals making a 'biological/evolutional and physical sense'.

So if the morals from biological instincts for example, why do we need the Bible to tell us what is morally right or wrong? Why not go straight to the source and listen to our own instincts and collectively figure it out as we currently are doing?

Yes what you say is true. Please do me the favour of re-reading my posts. I did not say we need the bible. All i've said is that the bible, as it's practised by most modern christians, happens to align with, as you mentioned, biological in-born "right and wrong" conventions that have gotten the human race this far. Like family units, gender roles, the golden rule etc. I feel like this is enough reason to not take a steaming dump on christians when I encounter them, unlike half the cunts who replied irrationally to my posts . Don't think my wife is qualified to comnent on Christianity? She's evangelical, her aunt is a catholic nun. Don't think I'm a real atheist? I never had religion, nor do I normally waste time giving the slightest fuck about it. That makes me as atheist as it gets, maybe with a different view on some issues than some other atheist. Can't say the same about the ex christian "atheists" on their high horses in here. Not you personally by the way, they know who they are.

I have never in my life met a group of more cringey, pathetic slaptards as I've found in here. Not all but a large portion. Normally if someone talked about my wife like that in person, they'd get the beat-down of a lifetime, but since you're just a collection of self righteous opinionated cellar nerds half way around the world in an unenlighted cluster-fuck backward consumer plantation, I bid you adieu.

Wow. Another internet warrior. I'm all scarred now.

Also go fuck yourself clown. It's ever amusing when new guy barge in and starts slinging shit and then is amazed that it doesn't endear people to him.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
23-09-2017, 09:07 PM
(23-09-2017 08:43 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  ^meh^ I tried being civil. He chose to engage with people who weren't.

Well, duh - that's how they can scream persecution (and leave in a huff when their shitty "arguments" are torn to shreds, pretending it's because of moral objections nad not because they've been proven to be complete and utter idiots) and then the self-righteous moral brigade can charge in, galloping on their high horses, acting all high and mighty. If I've seen it once, I've seen it a million times Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
23-09-2017, 09:09 PM
Wendigo, if really atheist, seems to think all atheists should be the same and that is just like him.

He's not the first to waltz in here and tell us why we are wrong. He'll not be the last...especially since so many people fall for and support this crap...like they have never seen it before and are taken in by it.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
23-09-2017, 09:09 PM
(23-09-2017 01:18 PM)‘wendigo Wrote:  ...I bid you adieu.

Away, you starvelling, you elf-skin, you dried neat’s-tongue, bull’s-pizzle, you stock-fish! Go, prick thy face, and over-red thy fear, Thou lily-liver’d boy. Methink’st thou art a general offence and every man should beat thee. I’d beat thee, but I would infect my hands. Thou clay-brained guts, thou knotty-pated fool, thou whoreson obscene greasy tallow-catch! Thou leathern-jerkin, crystal-button, knot-pated, agatering, puke-stocking, caddis-garter, smooth-tongue, Spanish pouch! Away with you!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 9 users Like Full Circle's post