I believe the mods have made a serious mistake.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-03-2017, 09:02 AM
RE: I believe the mods have made a serious mistake.
(24-03-2017 08:50 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 08:41 AM)skyking Wrote:  Adey, RS, mods are just people. People do indeed make mis steps all their lives. Since each one is an individual, there is no unified mindspeak amongst the management anywhere, so long as every move that is made is not voted on by a committee.

So I'm guessing what you're saying is that it was kinda a random independent decision ? I can go with that I guess, like I say its not a criticism I'm just a little bemused.

We do make independent decisions - to a point. It's our judgement when to bring something to admin. Admin always has the last word, and only admin decides who to ban, other than obvious spammers.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2017, 09:03 AM
(24-03-2017 08:31 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 08:25 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Rev literally said he was locking it temporarily to let things cool down a bit.

Yes, he said he would open it again "in the morning", which... has not happened. But I guess it isn't noon yet.

It should not have been for that long...it should not have happened in the first place. If it had to happen, it should have been as limited as possible.

This. Is. A. Fuck. Up.

Own it.

It was locked for under 12 hours and I very much disagree it was a mistake to do so. SYZ and Muffs were just tearing into each other pointlessly and given the sensitive nature of the topic to several forum members it seemed the appropriate step. Given they are both active when the majority of the Mod team is not here (due to time zones) it made sense to shut that thread down until we returned. Unlocking it was my first action upon logging on today. Locking a thread for 15 minutes is pointless imo especially given the circumstances involved. Locking threads is also not something that we do often but in this case I feel it was the best course available.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 15 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-03-2017, 09:04 AM
I doubt it was a misstep. My guess is they were stopping it from getting to the point where it would just become a shouting match and causing nothing but disruption and contributing nothing to the forum.

Edit: Never mind. Now we know for sure.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
24-03-2017, 09:15 AM
(24-03-2017 09:02 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 08:50 AM)adey67 Wrote:  So I'm guessing what you're saying is that it was kinda a random independent decision ? I can go with that I guess, like I say its not a criticism I'm just a little bemused.

We do make independent decisions - to a point. It's our judgement when to bring something to admin. Admin always has the last word, and only admin decides who to ban, other than obvious spammers.

I can imagine Moms on a throne and you guys having to bring the accused to her in chains and there is a dragon circling above.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post
24-03-2017, 09:25 AM
(24-03-2017 09:15 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 09:02 AM)Dom Wrote:  We do make independent decisions - to a point. It's our judgement when to bring something to admin. Admin always has the last word, and only admin decides who to ban, other than obvious spammers.

I can imagine Moms on a throne and you guys having to bring the accused to her in chains and there is a dragon circling above.
And, thumbs up its a merciful beheading, thumbs down burnt at the stake. Evil_monster Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
24-03-2017, 09:26 AM
I saw nothing afoul with Rev's action to close the thread for the night. It gives all a chance to just fuck off and realize that throwing letters at each other accomplishes about as much as wallowing in one's own shit. Eventually, everyone's going to have to clean that shit up off of and out of, everything and everywhere.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
24-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Muffs is... quite something. I've clashed with him in the past. He actually is a good guy IMO. Just... abrasive as fuck.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
24-03-2017, 09:42 AM
(24-03-2017 09:26 AM)kim Wrote:  I saw nothing afoul with Rev's action to close the thread for the night. It gives all a chance to just fuck off and realize that throwing letters at each other accomplishes about as much as wallowing in one's own shit. Eventually, everyone's going to have to clean that shit up off of and out of, everything and everywhere.

I've not come across this in other combative threads so I'm guessing this happening is kind of a precedent, it might work well for the forum if and ONLY if its applied evenly through the site on threads of a sensitive nature that are getting out of hand, otherwise I can see it causing division.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
24-03-2017, 10:15 AM
(24-03-2017 08:15 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...my-4-cents

You should not have locked this thread, in the first place. Perhaps a brief pause, to give people time to calm down ("count to ten", as one put it), if people were becoming over-emotionally-charged in their posts. I do not believe that was the case, but it's a legitimate thing to temporarily lock a thread for a few minutes, a couple of hours, whatever. But it was simply locked down and remains so. This is a grievous error on the part of the mods, and I think will do ultimate harm to this forum.

I'm tired of seeing people praised on this site for "speaking their minds", when in reality they're just being a harmful asshole to others and then trying to hide it behind free speech. I'm tired of seeing people being allowed to get away with calling others pussies or snowflakes or whatever because they think basic human decency includes some respect and empathy for others. And I'm most certainly tired of having to worry if the ruling censors will decide who can and cannot respond when an asshole has been set loose among us, crying about how he has to be able to treat people like shit or else there's no free speech.

Well free speech works both ways. I have to be free to point out not only that the person is an asshole but exactly why it is that they're an asshole, or free speech is utterly stifled-- all you've done, then, is hand a microphone to a hatemonger and gagged anyone who might counter his hateful speech.

This sort of mod overreach and censorship of the wrong things is why I left AF, and why we just recently got an influx from Amazon. I would hate to lose my motivation for coming to a place like this, and I feel that I'm probably not the only one who would go.

You fucked up, mods. That's all there is to it. Unlock that thread and let Muffs take the lumps he has coming to him, instead of protecting his ass when he's being an ass. A brief pause might have mitigated the damage, sure, but at this point it's just growing into a rage I may have to take a few posts to discharge fully into that shit-bird's vacuous skull.

Trust me, the longer you keep that thread locked, the worse it will be for everyone.

And if you keep protecting that asshole long enough, you're going to have a higher collection of assholes than non-assholes here.

Best decide now what sort of voice y'all want in this place, because it appears you've made a choice, and it's not a good direction in which to take this forum.

RS, think back to when you were the object of attack and demanded the mods to step in or else you'd leave. Seems to me you are now arguing the very opposite point. Am I wrong? If so please point out the fallacy of what I'm suggesting. Thanks. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
24-03-2017, 10:22 AM
If I were a mod I'd lock this thread just to be ironic.
[+] 8 users Like I'mFred's post