I believe the mods have made a serious mistake.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-03-2017, 11:58 AM
RE: I believe the mods have made a serious mistake.
(24-03-2017 11:55 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Not if I IP-blocked her she wouldn't. I just finished my Security+ training. I could penetration test the forum if you want.

Well, that sounds positively naughty. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
24-03-2017, 11:59 AM
(24-03-2017 11:55 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 11:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  You'd be going to bed crying, because moms would have spanked you hard.

Not if I IP-blocked her she wouldn't. I just finished my Security+ training. I could penetration test the forum if you want.

Lol, I don't think so, not after what you just said. No one has the time to administer all the spankings you would earn in just a few moments....

And blocking IPs isn't such a good idea much of the time, all kinds of innocent bystanders can get blocked that way too.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-03-2017, 12:03 PM
(24-03-2017 11:59 AM)Dom Wrote:  And blocking IPs isn't such a good idea much of the time, all kinds of innocent bystanders can get blocked that way too.

Collateral damage is unavoidable in these types of situations.

#sigh
24-03-2017, 12:09 PM
(24-03-2017 12:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 11:59 AM)Dom Wrote:  And blocking IPs isn't such a good idea much of the time, all kinds of innocent bystanders can get blocked that way too.

Depends on exactly the situation. Looked at from a business perspective, collateral damage can be worse than the cause to IPban.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-03-2017, 12:10 PM
(24-03-2017 12:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

As a former fellow US government employee, I'll say, well put. Shy

backs slowly out of room

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
24-03-2017, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2017 12:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-03-2017 12:10 PM)kim Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 12:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Collateral damage is unavoidable in these types of situations.

As a former fellow US government employee, I'll say, well put. Shy

backs slowly out of room

"Duck and cover bitches!" is not just good advice, it's a valuable life skill. Especially with Chester Cheetoes in charge.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-03-2017, 03:03 PM
(24-03-2017 08:15 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'm tired of seeing people praised on this site for "speaking their minds", when in reality they're just being a harmful asshole to others and then trying to hide it behind free speech. I'm tired of seeing people being allowed to get away with calling others pussies or snowflakes or whatever because they think basic human decency includes some respect and empathy for others.

Seriously, me too. I just will hold their feet to the fire, for all they care.

People are sick of things being "too PC". And that's fine or whatever, sometimes PC culture goes overboard. But that doesn't mean that there isn't some value in "political correctness", since much of the point in political correctness is respecting other people. And respect and empathy is missing in a lot of the counter-PC pushback.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
24-03-2017, 04:19 PM
Being to PC is one thing, engaging in negative deconstructive conversation is another. RS is my hero at keeping it as positive as he can, he walks a fine line. Frankly, I tend to lose it, so if you see me liking some posts in a thread and NOT posting, it's because I don't trust my abilities.
24-03-2017, 04:24 PM
(24-03-2017 11:45 AM)jennybee Wrote:  If the reason the thread was closed for such a long duration (in addition to the cool off period) is because mods need to be able to get some sleep (totally understandable)--why not "hire" an overnight mod? Especially since it was mentioned that mods are volunteers so it wouldn't be a budgetary issue. Jdog, for instance is a night owl and a well-liked regular on the forum and has expressed an interest in the mod position.

Hiring another mod might be a happy medium to RS point about the thread being closed for so long and yet, still provide a mod to temporarily close a thread for a cool off period. It would also be a further defense against overnight trolls or any other nighttime shenanigans. Wink Anyway, just a suggestion.

You would have to assume that said mod would be available and would have made the same decision.

There are times there is only one mod on the forum and that just means they are logged in...not that they are monitoring everything at that precise moment.

The team here is made up of volunteers who give of their time when they can.

We just got three new mods...two are EST and one is CST. The overnight shift is either going to be DLJ or an insomniac from this side of the world.

Closing that thread for a night was most likely the best decision made by people who give of their time because they give a shit about this place...not because they are held to a strict schedule to accommodate everyone who gets a case of the butthurt.

This is the most responsive the staff has ever been to handling things. Everyone isn't going to be happy with everything done or not done.

Stark (and other staff) would be saying that this place isn't for everyone and if you don't like it then leave. The staff has explained, apologized, and in my opinion kissed way too much ass over someone throwing a fucking hissy fit.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
24-03-2017, 04:58 PM
(24-03-2017 04:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 11:45 AM)jennybee Wrote:  If the reason the thread was closed for such a long duration (in addition to the cool off period) is because mods need to be able to get some sleep (totally understandable)--why not "hire" an overnight mod? Especially since it was mentioned that mods are volunteers so it wouldn't be a budgetary issue. Jdog, for instance is a night owl and a well-liked regular on the forum and has expressed an interest in the mod position.

Hiring another mod might be a happy medium to RS point about the thread being closed for so long and yet, still provide a mod to temporarily close a thread for a cool off period. It would also be a further defense against overnight trolls or any other nighttime shenanigans. Wink Anyway, just a suggestion.

You would have to assume that said mod would be available and would have made the same decision.

There are times there is only one mod on the forum and that just means they are logged in...not that they are monitoring everything at that precise moment.

The team here is made up of volunteers who give of their time when they can.

We just got three new mods...two are EST and one is CST. The overnight shift is either going to be DLJ or an insomniac from this side of the world.

Closing that thread for a night was most likely the best decision made by people who give of their time because they give a shit about this place...not because they are held to a strict schedule to accommodate everyone who gets a case of the butthurt.

This is the most responsive the staff has ever been to handling things. Everyone isn't going to be happy with everything done or not done.

Stark (and other staff) would be saying that this place isn't for everyone and if you don't like it then leave. The staff has explained, apologized, and in my opinion kissed way too much ass over someone throwing a fucking hissy fit.

It wasn't a criticism of the staff or their abilities, it was a question. Someone had mentioned (I forget who) that the mods need to sleep, so the threads could be closed longer simply due to that reason (which is understandable) and also said that mods are not typically on during overnight times.

That's why I thought an overnight mod would be an idea to accommodate both night time issues/concerns, thread closures, and potential trolls. For instance, one night I couldn't sleep, happened to be online, and a newbie came on and threatened suicide. No mods were on at that time (I understand there is a procedure in place via the mods for such things on here). Since JDog had mentioned his interest in being a mod and is awake weird hours of the night, he was one person that came to mind as a potential for an overnight mod person.