I believe the mods have made a serious mistake.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-03-2017, 06:57 PM
RE: I believe the mods have made a serious mistake.
(24-03-2017 06:36 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 08:15 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You fucked up, mods. That's all there is to it. Unlock that thread and let Muffs take the lumps he has coming to him, instead of protecting his ass when he's being an ass. A brief pause might have mitigated the damage, sure, but at this point it's just growing into a rage I may have to take a few posts to discharge fully into that shit-bird's vacuous skull.
You think muffs is an asshole? Look at all the reps he has. Fuckers here love that little sawed off waste of skin.

Personally I'd love to see him choke on his teeth after I knocked them out of his mouth.

Look at his reps. WTF?
[Image: 23ef3b330d7c3340b97d4a54a4875331.jpg]

I think it's possible to separate some of someone's comments from the person. I think Muffs is hilarious and like I said before, he comes up with some good topics for threads. And I do like him. I don't think he is an asshole or a bigot or a bad person. I also see his point about desensitizing certain words.

However, if a member says that a certain word is highly upsetting to her and asks that it please stop...and it doesn't stop, that's just not okay. Particularly because it's hurtful and unnecessary. The other part that happened in that thread, is that it was a snowball effect with another member quickly picking up on that word and also using it. I understand this is an open forum and free speech is valued, which is great, but sometimes another person's feelings should also be honored and taken into consideration as well. This is just my opinion, ymmv Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2017, 06:58 PM
(24-03-2017 06:35 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 06:30 PM)Dom Wrote:  The mods don't make the decision about whether there should be more mods. Moms does that, and DLJ has input.

Oh okay, I thought they all did.

Or I should say you (plural). Sorry Dom Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
24-03-2017, 07:01 PM
I believe the mods have made a serious mistake.
(24-03-2017 06:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 06:36 PM)KUSA Wrote:  You think muffs is an asshole? Look at all the reps he has. Fuckers here love that little sawed off waste of skin.

Personally I'd love to see him choke on his teeth after I knocked them out of his mouth.

Look at his reps. WTF?
[Image: 23ef3b330d7c3340b97d4a54a4875331.jpg]

That sounds like a bit of a threat.

Not a threat. Just a desire. That fucker lives on the other side of the planet anyway.
24-03-2017, 07:50 PM
(24-03-2017 11:10 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  We're not bots,

I have my suspicions about DLJ Consider

(24-03-2017 11:45 AM)jennybee Wrote:  If the reason the thread was closed for such a long duration (in addition to the cool off period) is because mods need to be able to get some sleep (totally understandable)--why not "hire" an overnight mod? Especially since it was mentioned that mods are volunteers so it wouldn't be a budgetary issue. Jdog, for instance is a night owl and a well-liked regular on the forum and has expressed an interest in the mod position.

Hiring another mod might be a happy medium to RS point about the thread being closed for so long and yet, still provide a mod to temporarily close a thread for a cool off period. It would also be a further defense against overnight trolls or any other nighttime shenanigans. Wink Anyway, just a suggestion.

While I appreciate the glowing recommendation Big Grin I think the current Mod team is just fine. Even if you get people in different time zones there is no telling how their personal lives could get into the way of their time here.

(24-03-2017 04:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  For instance, one night I couldn't sleep, happened to be online, and a newbie came on and threatened suicide.

We have to remember that this is a community. Mods may keep it together but that doesn't mean the members can't do something to help. In that situation I would have sent a PM to a member of the forum team, and tried to talk to the newbie, see if I could help calm him down.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
24-03-2017, 08:01 PM
(24-03-2017 07:50 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 11:10 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  We're not bots,

I have my suspicions about DLJ Consider

(24-03-2017 11:45 AM)jennybee Wrote:  If the reason the thread was closed for such a long duration (in addition to the cool off period) is because mods need to be able to get some sleep (totally understandable)--why not "hire" an overnight mod? Especially since it was mentioned that mods are volunteers so it wouldn't be a budgetary issue. Jdog, for instance is a night owl and a well-liked regular on the forum and has expressed an interest in the mod position.

Hiring another mod might be a happy medium to RS point about the thread being closed for so long and yet, still provide a mod to temporarily close a thread for a cool off period. It would also be a further defense against overnight trolls or any other nighttime shenanigans. Wink Anyway, just a suggestion.

While I appreciate the glowing recommendation Big Grin I think the current Mod team is just fine. Even if you get people in different time zones there is no telling how their personal lives could get into the way of their time here.

(24-03-2017 04:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  For instance, one night I couldn't sleep, happened to be online, and a newbie came on and threatened suicide.

We have to remember that this is a community. Mods may keep it together but that doesn't mean the members can't do something to help. In that situation I would have sent a PM to a member of the forum team, and tried to talk to the newbie, see if I could help calm him down.

That's what I did. After what happened with Nishi, I was worried about another situation like that on here, so I pmed a mod, and I stayed up with this person, talking to them, hoping they wouldn't do anything. Luckily, they didn't. It would have been helpful to have the immediate support of a mod though, just sayin'. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
24-03-2017, 08:12 PM
(24-03-2017 08:01 PM)jennybee Wrote:  That's what I did. After what happened with Nishi, I was worried about another situation like that on here, so I pmed a mod, and I stayed up with this person, talking to them, hoping they wouldn't do anything. Luckily, they didn't. It would have been helpful to have the immediate support of a mod though, just sayin'. Wink

If I may, with Nishi we had zero warning.

It's physically impossible to have a mod here 24/7. The best we can do is manage as best we can. Smile

If someone threatens suicide we're are limited to what we can do anyway. Especially when dealing with people from other countries.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 7 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-03-2017, 08:18 PM
When I first came here I came across a post by a newbie, she was threatening to kill herself. I panicked, PM’d everyone I thought could help, for some reason I immediately notified Girly Dodgy Scared the shit out of me (the situation, not Girly).

Let’s face it, this isn’t a Suicide Hotline or 911. But in the event someone comes on with problems any one of us can help, mods don’t have any special powers to talk someone off a ledge anymore than you do. What may be of special help is being calm, cool and collected regardless of the color of your name.

In the event a couple of folks go apeshit on each other here when mods aren’t around then whoever feels hurt can always log out, know what I mean?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
24-03-2017, 08:18 PM
I would have thought the appropriate action would have been to just throw the thread into the viper's pit. Isn't that what it's there for?

I dunno. It's just a forum. Drinking Beverage
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
24-03-2017, 08:21 PM
(24-03-2017 08:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 08:01 PM)jennybee Wrote:  That's what I did. After what happened with Nishi, I was worried about another situation like that on here, so I pmed a mod, and I stayed up with this person, talking to them, hoping they wouldn't do anything. Luckily, they didn't. It would have been helpful to have the immediate support of a mod though, just sayin'. Wink

If I may, with Nishi we had zero warning.

It's physically impossible to have a mod here 24/7. The best we can do is manage as best we can. Smile

If someone threatens suicide we're are limited to what we can do anyway. Especially when dealing with people from other countries.

I understand. I just meant--especially given what happened with Nishi and it being so recent--it was really hard for me to deal with that person on my own and while there may not have been much the mods could have done, the added support in dealing with this person at that time would have been nice. Again, not a criticism on how things are run, just something I observed and so thought I would bring it up as a potential concern.

24-03-2017, 08:22 PM
I know that I am not supposed to respond but I don't think any group of people here is qualified, or able, to handle every situation that may arise.

The team and many members do the best they can.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post