I believe the mods have made a serious mistake.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-03-2017, 10:24 AM
RE: I believe the mods have made a serious mistake.
(24-03-2017 10:22 AM)ImFred Wrote:  If I were a mod I'd lock this thread just to be ironic.

Laugh out load

Dodgy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
24-03-2017, 10:37 AM
(24-03-2017 10:15 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 08:15 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...my-4-cents

You should not have locked this thread, in the first place. Perhaps a brief pause, to give people time to calm down ("count to ten", as one put it), if people were becoming over-emotionally-charged in their posts. I do not believe that was the case, but it's a legitimate thing to temporarily lock a thread for a few minutes, a couple of hours, whatever. But it was simply locked down and remains so. This is a grievous error on the part of the mods, and I think will do ultimate harm to this forum.

I'm tired of seeing people praised on this site for "speaking their minds", when in reality they're just being a harmful asshole to others and then trying to hide it behind free speech. I'm tired of seeing people being allowed to get away with calling others pussies or snowflakes or whatever because they think basic human decency includes some respect and empathy for others. And I'm most certainly tired of having to worry if the ruling censors will decide who can and cannot respond when an asshole has been set loose among us, crying about how he has to be able to treat people like shit or else there's no free speech.

Well free speech works both ways. I have to be free to point out not only that the person is an asshole but exactly why it is that they're an asshole, or free speech is utterly stifled-- all you've done, then, is hand a microphone to a hatemonger and gagged anyone who might counter his hateful speech.

This sort of mod overreach and censorship of the wrong things is why I left AF, and why we just recently got an influx from Amazon. I would hate to lose my motivation for coming to a place like this, and I feel that I'm probably not the only one who would go.

You fucked up, mods. That's all there is to it. Unlock that thread and let Muffs take the lumps he has coming to him, instead of protecting his ass when he's being an ass. A brief pause might have mitigated the damage, sure, but at this point it's just growing into a rage I may have to take a few posts to discharge fully into that shit-bird's vacuous skull.

Trust me, the longer you keep that thread locked, the worse it will be for everyone.

And if you keep protecting that asshole long enough, you're going to have a higher collection of assholes than non-assholes here.

Best decide now what sort of voice y'all want in this place, because it appears you've made a choice, and it's not a good direction in which to take this forum.

RS, think back to when you were the object of attack and demanded the mods to step in or else you'd leave. Seems to me you are now arguing the very opposite point. Am I wrong? If so please point out the fallacy of what I'm suggesting. Thanks. Thumbsup

I'm not sure its an entirely fair comparison FC, there a huge difference between closing down a thread and having someone insinuate something as vile as what was aimed at RS
24-03-2017, 10:44 AM
(24-03-2017 10:37 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 10:15 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  RS, think back to when you were the object of attack and demanded the mods to step in or else you'd leave. Seems to me you are now arguing the very opposite point. Am I wrong? If so please point out the fallacy of what I'm suggesting. Thanks. Thumbsup

I'm not sure its an entirely fair comparison FC, there a huge difference between closing down a thread and having someone insinuate something as vile as what was aimed at RS

Let's explore this adey67, I'm open to discussion.
First let me say I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and RS.
Can we agree that the exchanges in the thread that was closed were vile as well, not in the same way but certainly personal and hateful?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
24-03-2017, 10:54 AM
(24-03-2017 10:44 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 10:37 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm not sure its an entirely fair comparison FC, there a huge difference between closing down a thread and having someone insinuate something as vile as what was aimed at RS

Can we agree that the exchanges in the thread that was closed were vile as well, not in the same way but certainly personal and hateful?

Likewise regarding respect FC.
Yes I would agree that it turned into ad hominem city, but there are many threads where similar has happened and they didn't get temporarily suspended. Not a criticism I respect the decisions made just pointing out a fact.
24-03-2017, 10:55 AM
(24-03-2017 10:44 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 10:37 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm not sure its an entirely fair comparison FC, there a huge difference between closing down a thread and having someone insinuate something as vile as what was aimed at RS

I don't know what this is all about.

This isn't the first time a thread was locked overnight, and it's probably not the last time.

Back when we didn't have moms and her ban hammer, it actually happened as a default when things got messy.

I like it better the way we have it now. It's avoided except in certain circumstances. And in the current climate of this forum, I see nothing wrong with giving a time-out to a combative thread that appears to be spiraling out of control with most mods being gone until their respective mornings.

Remember, mods are volunteers. They have lives, and despite this being the internet, they are real people who need to sleep periodically. There are no night shifts per se, although one or more mods may be around at night.

Maybe if everyone behaved like adults all the time, time-outs would not be needed. But then, things would get boring, too.

Currently, mods moderate in moderation. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
24-03-2017, 11:00 AM
(24-03-2017 10:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 10:44 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Let's explore this adey67, I'm open to discussion.

I don't know what this is all about.

This isn't the first time a thread was locked overnight, and it's probably not the last time.

Back when we didn't have moms and her ban hammer, it actually happened as a default when things got messy.

I like it better the way we have it now. It's avoided except in certain circumstances. And in the current climate of this forum, I see nothing wrong with giving a time-out to a combative thread that appears to be spiraling out of control with most mods being gone until their respective mornings.

Remember, mods are volunteers. They have lives, and despite this being the internet, they are real people who need to sleep periodically. There are no night shifts per se, although one or more mods may be around at night.

Maybe if everyone behaved like adults all the time, time-outs would not be needed. But then, things would get boring, too.

In that case I must apologise I did not realise other threads had been temporarily suspended before, I thought it was a precedent we were seeing here, my bad.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
24-03-2017, 11:10 AM
(24-03-2017 10:54 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 10:44 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Let's explore this adey67, I'm open to discussion.

Likewise regarding respect FC.
Yes I would agree that it turned into ad hominem city, but there are many threads where similar has happened and they didn't get temporarily suspended. Not a criticism I respect the decisions made just pointing out a fact.

No one was suspended, you mean the thread was temporarily closed right?

We're not bots, we do the best we can under the circumstances.

As for me if I see the situation getting out of hand between long-standing members like last night the proper thing to do is pour a big bucket of ice water on them. I'd prefer that to having contributing members rip each other's throats out while "discussing" what constitutes hurting other forum member's feelings.

Anyway, the thread has been re-opened.

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
24-03-2017, 11:12 AM
All I want to know is if I have to apologize to Girly for calling him a pussy. Consider

He did like the post.. maybe I'll send him some flowers.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
24-03-2017, 11:13 AM
(24-03-2017 11:00 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 10:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't know what this is all about.

In that case I must apologise I did not realise other threads had been temporarily suspended before, I thought it was a precedent we were seeing here, my bad.

Nothing new just been a while since it felt prudent to use this tool. Most of the time hostility in threads comes from trolls or provocateurs and thus locking a thread would just spread the hostility to somewhere else. This instance seemed to be 2 people that just needed to cool off a bit.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-03-2017, 11:14 AM
(24-03-2017 11:12 AM)Anjele Wrote:  All I want to know is if I have to apologize to Girly for calling him a pussy. Consider

He did like the post.. maybe I'll send him some flowers.

Just give him a bear hug and he'll be fine.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post