I bet nobody on this website can answer this question. No. 2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2014, 07:04 AM
I bet nobody on this website can answer this question. No. 2
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Vosur's post
10-01-2014, 07:17 AM
RE: I bet nobody on this website can answer this question. No. 2
Golden Wink but coconuts really do migrate.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
10-01-2014, 07:46 AM
Hah! I can top that! What is your favorite colour?
[+] 3 users Like Khare's post
10-01-2014, 08:20 AM
Fuuny.

But the question is illogical.

There is no such thing as 'airspeed velocity'; its nonsensical.

Swallows, like any other flying creature use airfoils to generate lift as well as gain it from the change in momentum of the air from the downwash when they flap their wings.

Airfoils don't have an 'airspeed velocity' associated with them.

Lift, however, can be roughly modeled using the basic equation. Flift = 1/2*c*p*A*V^2
where c is the coefficient of lift associated with that airfoil, at a particular angle of attack, Mach number and Reynolds number.
p is the air (or fluid) density
A is the planform area of the wing
V is the velocity of the air passiing over the surface

In adition we cannot take into effect the variable camber nature of a birds wings, the vectoring of its thrust in the form of flapping its wings, etc. This makes it very difficult to determine the angle of attack (AoA) that the swallow's wings stall at. This is the critical AoA which would allow us to calculate the stall speed Vs of a swallow's wings. This would be the minimum airspeed that an unladen swallow, African or otherwise, would need to obtain in order to fly.

Given this, there are just too many variables to make an accurate calculation using basic aerodynamics, but this guy does a pretty good job at finding a realistic estimate for a swallow in flight in dynamic equilibrium.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 6 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
10-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Did you just go all scientific on Monty Python? The blasphemy! Big Grin

Be sure you have someone up your sleeve who will save you when you find yourself in deep shit. - James D. Watson
[+] 1 user Likes Khare's post
10-01-2014, 08:32 AM
(10-01-2014 07:04 AM)Vosur Wrote:  What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

http://style.org/unladenswallow/

Averaging the above numbers and plugging them in to the Strouhal equation for cruising flight (fA/U = 7 beats per second * 0.18 meters per beat / 9.5 meters per second) yields a Strouhal number of roughly 0.13:

... indicating a surprisingly efficient flight pattern falling well below the expected range of 0.2–0.4.

Although a definitive answer would of course require further measurements, published species-wide averages of wing length and body mass, initial Strouhal estimates based on those averages and cross-species comparisons, the Lund wind tunnel study of birds flying at a range of speeds, and revised Strouhal numbers based on that study all lead me to estimate that the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-01-2014, 09:01 AM
I have a question.

How many fingers am I holding up?
10-01-2014, 09:03 AM
African or European?

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 4 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
10-01-2014, 09:08 AM
(10-01-2014 08:20 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Lift, however, can be roughly modeled using the basic equation. Flift = 1/2*c*p*A*V^2
*Lift

(10-01-2014 08:20 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  A is the planform area of the wing
*platform

(10-01-2014 08:20 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  V is the velocity of the air passiing over the surface
*passing

(10-01-2014 08:20 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  In adition we cannot take into effect the variable camber nature of a birds wings, the vectoring of its thrust in the form of flapping its wings, etc.
*addition

[Image: Y5tGBer.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
10-01-2014, 09:10 AM
(10-01-2014 09:01 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I have a question.

How many fingers am I holding up?

Always ten, (well five, if you're using one hand) folded or not, unless you have lost some. Do I get a prize?

Be sure you have someone up your sleeve who will save you when you find yourself in deep shit. - James D. Watson