I blame DLJ!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2015, 06:32 PM
I blame DLJ!
At one point DLJ suggested that I was an introvert.

It caught me off guard - popular in school, successful in business, public speaker, friends, 2 marriages, outspoken, not a shy bone in my body.... I certainly didn't think of myself as introvert.

But - the more time passes since DLJ said that, the more I realize that I am definitely an introvert. And that it has had and still has a lot of influence over my life.

I love being alone. I wake up and think - oh yes, no one is coming here today and I have no reason to go out! Yeah! I LOVE days like that, and since hubby passed, I enjoy as many "alone days" as I possibly can.

Friends want to know when I will start dating again, invite me to parties and dinners and cook-outs and I find excuses. I am definitely not getting married again, nor will I have a room mate. And I don't like groups of people engaging in small talk. It bores me to death and I think of ways to escape. When I get home from a gathering, I am exhausted and doubly appreciate being alone.

I do like going out to lunch with just one or two friends. I chat with people online, I email and text, so I am not incommunicado. I am not the least bit shy, I am outspoken. I am easy to get along with and find people from all walks of life interesting. I have more than enough empathy and I don't hate anyone.

People just don't get that I don't know the meaning of the word lonely and enjoy being by myself. "People are social animals." is a phrase I keep hearing. Well, I am "people" and I don't have a social bone in my body, yet managed to go through life thinking I was a normal extrovert - until DLJ called me an introvert. Tongue

Jokes aside, I owe DLJ a thanks because he prompted me to think about this and now I understand myself a lot better.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 16 users Like Dom's post
04-08-2015, 06:44 PM
RE: I blame DLJ!
Blush

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
04-08-2015, 06:47 PM
I think everyone needs to do what they feel comfortable with and not not feel pressure from others to conform. Sometimes, I love being alone and going off and hiking in the woods (just me and my dog). Other times, I love being in the city and being around a ton of people. It really depends on my mood. If money was no object, I would have a loft in Boston and a secluded cabin in either Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
04-08-2015, 06:47 PM
It was either him or Obama.
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
04-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Yay, me too. I already spend 40 hours a week around other people, so I take all the me-time I can get.
High five for new-found self-awareness *poundit*

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
04-08-2015, 06:53 PM
(04-08-2015 06:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  At one point DLJ suggested that I was an introvert.

It caught me off guard - popular in school, successful in business, public speaker, friends, 2 marriages, outspoken, not a shy bone in my body.... I certainly didn't think of myself as introvert.

But - the more time passes since DLJ said that, the more I realize that I am definitely an introvert. And that it has had and still has a lot of influence over my life.

I love being alone. I wake up and think - oh yes, no one is coming here today and I have no reason to go out! Yeah! I LOVE days like that, and since hubby passed, I enjoy as many "alone days" as I possibly can.

Friends want to know when I will start dating again, invite me to parties and dinners and cook-outs and I find excuses. I am definitely not getting married again, nor will I have a room mate. And I don't like groups of people engaging in small talk. It bores me to death and I think of ways to escape. When I get home from a gathering, I am exhausted and doubly appreciate being alone.

I do like going out to lunch with just one or two friends. I chat with people online, I email and text, so I am not incommunicado. I am not the least bit shy, I am outspoken. I am easy to get along with and find people from all walks of life interesting. I have more than enough empathy and I don't hate anyone.

People just don't get that I don't know the meaning of the word lonely and enjoy being by myself. "People are social animals." is a phrase I keep hearing. Well, I am "people" and I don't have a social bone in my body, yet managed to go through life thinking I was a normal extrovert - until DLJ called me an introvert. Tongue

Jokes aside, I owe DLJ a thanks because he prompted me to think about this and now I understand myself a lot better.

Glad you were able to figure stuff out Smile.

(04-08-2015 06:47 PM)pablo Wrote:  It was either him or Obama.

Always DLJ. Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
04-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Being an introvert isn't a bad thing.

I get all the people time I need, and then some, at work.

When I used to be around people more...I found I really needed time to myself to recharge. I used to be a bartender and I really liked it...lots of people all the time. So I can function in an extroverted manner but it was something I learned to do.

Check out my signature...pretty much covers it. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
04-08-2015, 07:01 PM
[Image: giphy.gif]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 8 users Like Revenant77x's post
04-08-2015, 07:27 PM
(04-08-2015 06:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  At one point DLJ suggested that I was an introvert.

Personally I much prefer my own company 95% of the time.
[+] 2 users Like Mrs.B's post
04-08-2015, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2015 07:56 PM by Dom.)
(04-08-2015 07:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
[Image: giphy.gif]

Oh no, someone break the poor man's cookie in half for him! Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post