I came home to find someone breaking into my home!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2016, 09:51 AM
I came home to find someone breaking into my home!
A few weeks ago I came home to find my garage door half way open and the door leading into the house ajar. I walked inside to find someone in my bedroom. Looking back at it now, I realize that it was rather stupid to enter the house. I should have called the police. However, I was in a state of denial because I live in a community where a housing company periodically sends workers to perform maintenance. Normally I receive a note on the door a week or so prior to the maintenance to let me know ahead of time. I was out of town for a few days prior so I just assumed I missed the memo.

The bedroom door was cracked open and to my astonishment, I found a boy who looked no more that 16 years old looking under my bed and I could plainly see that he was unarmed. So I opened the door to confront him. When the boy saw me he instantly froze in fear. He began to slowly walk towards me because I was the only thing standing between him and the exit and said "I was looking for my cell phone". When he got within arms distance from me, I shoved him to the ground and told him to stay still. I then reached under the bed where he was looking because that is where I keep my Sig Sauer P226 mk25 and I wanted to make sure he did not get to it. As soon as he saw me with a gun in my hand and the door exposed, he ran out of the house...as you would expect.

Although this whole event was shocking, that is not what is bothering me right now. What is bothering me is the fact that Georgia is a "King of the Castle " state so many people told me that I should have "shot first and asked questions later". It didn't matter that I would be shooting an unarmed kid in the back as he was running away because he was in my home!

This is the issue I have. I know many people swear that they would never murder someone in cold blood. However, given the right circumstances, I believe that many people would be willing to murder a kid as long as they knew they would not be held legally responsible for it. What do you think?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2016, 09:54 AM
RE: I came home to find someone breaking into my home!
You only NEED to shoot if there's a perceivable threat. Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Besides - they'll bleed all over your nice clean floors --- who needs that????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 13 users Like onlinebiker's post
19-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Castle Doctrine is not blanket permission to commit murder within your four walls. It merely means you have a right to defend yourself and are under no obligation to retreat. If you put a bullet into someone's back, you'd better be able to explain why the person's back required you to shoot.

Oh crap!
[+] 4 users Like jabeady's post
19-05-2016, 10:06 AM
You're not supposed to shoot someone who is running away, only if he is charging you.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
19-05-2016, 10:24 AM
You opened this up to armchair quarterbacks.
You shoved him down and then got your gun. Why? Clearly you had him overpowered. He did not have nor had any chance of getting your gun.
Put your foot on his back and call 911 for fucks sake!
Now he and his buddies know about your gun(s).
The rules are always the same. Nobody should ever see your gun until it is too late for them.
[+] 5 users Like skyking's post
19-05-2016, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't have shot him, but he would have been unconscious and bound before I disengaged from the hand to hand portion of the confrontation, assuming it started as a hand to hand confrontation.

I have no pity for home invaders regardless of their circumstances and whether or not they're armed, and until you've given him a thorough strip search you don't know whether or not he's armed. And I only care about his back being turned as it relates to self defense laws, which it absolutely does. Beyond that, when you enter someone's home in such a way, as far as I'm concerned you've made a choice to live by the sword, outside the safety net of society and its rules. Fortunately for the majority of sacks of shit like this guy, rules are made by people more idealistic and optimistic than myself, and I'd rather not go to jail if I can avoid it.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
19-05-2016, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the responses. I just needed to vent. It still bothers me that people are willing to shoot a kid in the back just because they think they could get away with it.

[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
19-05-2016, 11:05 AM
First, I'm very glad that you are safe!

I hope you figure out how the kid got in and can reinforce that so you're more secure. And I'm glad you didn't shoot at the kid as he was running away.

I think the problem with the king of the castle laws is that unfortunately, there are too many Zimmermans in the world. It's horrible that people are telling you that you should have shot someone who was running away. The appropriate penalty for burglary is jail time and/or fines and restitution, not death.

My sister-in-law got in trouble a lot when she was a teen, drugs, burgled some houses, got caught, and did prison time... Then she got out of prison in her early 20s, got married, had kids, and is a great mother to my nieces. She's in her 40s now, settled, etc.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
19-05-2016, 11:05 AM
(19-05-2016 11:01 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Thanks for the responses. I just needed to vent. It still bothers me that people are willing to shoot a kid in the back just because they think they could get away with it.

If it helps to rationalize it, consider that those of us without mercy for the kid and others like him are just as much "victims" of circumstance as him.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
19-05-2016, 11:11 AM
(19-05-2016 11:01 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  .... Wrote some traumatic stuff......

First off;

Hug

Second, I'll admit to living in a country with very different gun laws.

That being said, all the guns in the house here are in a gun safe. Ammunition seperate. The cannon is chained/pad-locked to the garrage floor.

The few varied sporting implements sort of 'Free range' about the place and the professional Chef's knives are always in their travel case.

Glad to know you're safe and sound. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post