I came home to find someone breaking into my home!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2016, 11:27 AM
RE: I came home to find someone breaking into my home!
For the record. I am a strong supporter of second amendment rights and I would be the first to tell you that if I for one second thought the kid was a threat to myself or my family...I would have shot him dead. However, this was not the case at all. I just remember the look of fear he had on his face. I think he was involved in some kind of gang initiation or something. He just did not seem like he had a lot of experience in this sort of thing.....but then again, I have never walked in on a robbery before. Needless to say, he did not take anything. The only thing he ran away with was crap running down his leg. Literally. ... I had to clean it out of the carpet.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
19-05-2016, 11:38 AM
(19-05-2016 10:24 AM)skyking Wrote:  You opened this up to armchair quarterbacks.

Yeah.. you got that right. There is a lot of things I should have done differently. Like grab the martial arts weapons that was litterally in the closet just outside the bedroom door! But like they say, hind sight is 20/20. The main reason I went for the gun was because he was looking under the bed in the exact spot where I keep my gun. I wanted to make sure he did not have it.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
19-05-2016, 11:43 AM
We don't have guns in Ireland - except for farmers, criminals and disgruntled IRA members. I've had a couple of break-ins throughout the years. I confronted a burglar who was trying to break-in through the back door during the afternoon. I worked the nightshift so I was trying to get some kip. I jumped up and went after him with an iron bar, he ran for his life. I'd say he got a right shock seeing a guy in just his underpants coming towards him. I now keep an axe under the bed, just in case.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
19-05-2016, 12:06 PM
Grab weapons?-come on Jason Smile Yak would have knocked him out, I am not confident of my personal skills to do that myself. Lets just say he would be convinced that laying still is the best choice.
You had him down.
19-05-2016, 12:23 PM
I don't think you should have killed him since you had the drop on him. However, I would not consider it excessive to introduce his balls to your shoe to ensure he wouldn't run away.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
19-05-2016, 12:23 PM
He's lucky that he wasn't in Albert Fish's apartment.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
19-05-2016, 12:41 PM
(19-05-2016 12:06 PM)skyking Wrote:  Grab weapons?-come on Jason Smile Yak would have knocked him out, I am not confident of my personal skills to do that myself. Lets just say he would be convinced that laying still is the best choice.
You had him down.

Context Tongue

I would have knocked him out because the fight started before the weapon was in reach, and so long as I had the upper hand in that fight I wouldn't have disengaged until the potential threat had been neutralized.

In a perfect world, I'd have had someone else take his flank from about 10 feet away with a gun pointed at his head while I took control of and searched him up close, ready to disengage and let them take the shot if he started resisting.

'Murican Canadian
19-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Disappointed this wasn't a case where this just happened and your first reaction was to go on TTA and make a thread about it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
19-05-2016, 01:24 PM
We've had a string of break-ins here lately...mostly kids breaking into cars and using the garage door openers to get into the house. I'm planning to buy a taser soon, and maybe even a katana.

I don't suppose he could have gotten in with a garage door opener? Or did it seem like the door was forced up? Either way double up on your security, the same house often gets burgled multiple times.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
19-05-2016, 01:35 PM
(19-05-2016 10:02 AM)jabeady Wrote:  Castle Doctrine is not blanket permission to commit murder within your four walls. It merely means you have a right to defend yourself and are under no obligation to retreat. If you put a bullet into someone's back, you'd better be able to explain why the person's back required you to shoot.

Oh crap!

Only if you are a cop can you shoot them in the back! Not legally, but you'd get by with it for sure.
Big dog time! If you have a 100 lb dog in the house that barks when one first dicks with the garage door the kid will try the next house on his list and leave yours be. I remember coming home and finding Brutus (120 lbs of Shepard/Great Dane mix) acting all nervous his nails clicking against the hardwood floors more than normal. When we found out that 3 houses in our block were broken into that day we gave Brutus a raw steak, a big one. He had earned his bonus!!
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post