I came home to find someone breaking into my home!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2016, 02:22 PM
RE: I came home to find someone breaking into my home!
I do agree with you that it was no cause to maim or take a life.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2016, 02:42 PM
(19-05-2016 09:51 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  A few weeks ago I came home to find my garage door half way open and the door leading into the house ajar. I walked inside to find someone in my bedroom. Looking back at it now, I realize that it was rather stupid to enter the house. I should have called the police. However, I was in a state of denial because I live in a community where a housing company periodically sends workers to perform maintenance. Normally I receive a note on the door a week or so prior to the maintenance to let me know ahead of time. I was out of town for a few days prior so I just assumed I missed the memo.

The bedroom door was cracked open and to my astonishment, I found a boy who looked no more that 16 years old looking under my bed and I could plainly see that he was unarmed. So I opened the door to confront him. When the boy saw me he instantly froze in fear. He began to slowly walk towards me because I was the only thing standing between him and the exit and said "I was looking for my cell phone". When he got within arms distance from me, I shoved him to the ground and told him to stay still. I then reached under the bed where he was looking because that is where I keep my Sig Sauer P226 mk25 and I wanted to make sure he did not get to it. As soon as he saw me with a gun in my hand and the door exposed, he ran out of the house...as you would expect.

Although this whole event was shocking, that is not what is bothering me right now. What is bothering me is the fact that Georgia is a "King of the Castle " state so many people told me that I should have "shot first and asked questions later". It didn't matter that I would be shooting an unarmed kid in the back as he was running away because he was in my home!

This is the issue I have. I know many people swear that they would never murder someone in cold blood. However, given the right circumstances, I believe that many people would be willing to murder a kid as long as they knew they would not be held legally responsible for it. What do you think?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

I had a similar experience, I walked into my living room in a condo I lived in and saw them filling up pillowcases with my stuff. I bolted upstairs for my gun, they had already gotten my 9mm, I went to the other room upstairs and grabbed my shotgun in the corner, but it was unloaded. Though, if you're downstairs and hear someone chamber a shotgun, even though there was nothing in the chamber, you're likely to exit the premises very fast, which they did.

I'm not sure if I would've held back, in the adrenalin of the moment, I think I would've gone Walking Tall on them. Fortunately that didn't have to happen as they were gone by the time I got back down stairs. The neighbor called the police and they caught them a block from my condo, I eventually got all of my stuff back, including my unregistered 9mm. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
19-05-2016, 02:42 PM
(19-05-2016 01:35 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 10:02 AM)jabeady Wrote:  Castle Doctrine is not blanket permission to commit murder within your four walls. It merely means you have a right to defend yourself and are under no obligation to retreat. If you put a bullet into someone's back, you'd better be able to explain why the person's back required you to shoot.

Oh crap!

Only if you are a cop can you shoot them in the back! Not legally, but you'd get by with it for sure.
Big dog time! If you have a 100 lb dog in the house that barks when one first dicks with the garage door the kid will try the next house on his list and leave yours be. I remember coming home and finding Brutus (120 lbs of Shepard/Great Dane mix) acting all nervous his nails clicking against the hardwood floors more than normal. When we found out that 3 houses in our block were broken into that day we gave Brutus a raw steak, a big one. He had earned his bonus!!

You might do better to not feed the dog much....

Then when somebody breaks in - hose them down with a squirt gun loaded with bacon grease.....

No evidence...

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
19-05-2016, 02:52 PM
You did good Jason Smile Only thing you didn't do good IMO was leave your gun accessible to someone other than you. What if the kid *had* gotten hold of it? I can't see, from your description, that he'd actually have wanted to shoot you, but under conditions of sufficient terror and with a weapon close at hand he might well have had a go.

Big up to you though Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-05-2016, 02:57 PM
(19-05-2016 01:24 PM)Loom Wrote:  We've had a string of break-ins here lately...mostly kids breaking into cars and using the garage door openers to get into the house. I'm planning to buy a taser soon, and maybe even a katana.

A katana? That's a cutting/slicing weapon, it can stab but it wasn't designed for that. You're supposed to swing it. It's also about 33" from hilt to tip. Where in your house are you planning to use it? Even the taser is a questionable choice, since it has to be immediately within reach at the moment of need.

I have a safe full of guns and I routinely carry a 9mm. Our primary home defense, however, is our camera/alarm system. The firearms are meant to be a last line of defense, not first line. The monitored system (ADT) costs $40 a month and gets us a discount on our insurance.

Oh crap!
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
19-05-2016, 03:00 PM
(19-05-2016 01:35 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Only if you are a cop can you shoot them in the back! Not legally, but you'd get by with it for sure.
I guess you haven't been watching the news.

Oh crap!
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
19-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Quote:What do you think?

What color was the kid. And what color were the people telling you to murder him?

Georgia, you know.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
19-05-2016, 03:02 PM
I have to say I’m really surprised that you entered before calling the police.
You will sleep better from here on out because you didn’t shoot the boy, but man you could have avoided the whole thing by calling in the break in and waiting outside. So much could have gone wrong.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
19-05-2016, 03:48 PM
No way am I going to shoot someone who is running away. No

However, I would have called 911 then drawn my pistol in readiness for a possible confrontation. All the guns in the house are locked up.
I don't think I would enter the house. Consider

As the police approached, I would holster the pistol.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
19-05-2016, 05:36 PM
(19-05-2016 02:57 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 01:24 PM)Loom Wrote:  We've had a string of break-ins here lately...mostly kids breaking into cars and using the garage door openers to get into the house. I'm planning to buy a taser soon, and maybe even a katana.

A katana? That's a cutting/slicing weapon, it can stab but it wasn't designed for that. You're supposed to swing it. It's also about 33" from hilt to tip. Where in your house are you planning to use it? Even the taser is a questionable choice, since it has to be immediately within reach at the moment of need.

I have a safe full of guns and I routinely carry a 9mm. Our primary home defense, however, is our camera/alarm system. The firearms are meant to be a last line of defense, not first line. The monitored system (ADT) costs $40 a month and gets us a discount on our insurance.

Oh crap!
Is there a stomach bug going around? Because there is a lot of crapping going around.

Oh crap!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk