I came home to find someone breaking into my home!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2016, 08:42 PM
RE: I came home to find someone breaking into my home!
(19-05-2016 08:26 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 09:51 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  A few weeks ago I came home to find my garage door half way open and the door leading into the house ajar. I walked inside to find someone in my bedroom. Looking back at it now, I realize that it was rather stupid to enter the house. I should have called the police. However, I was in a state of denial because I live in a community where a housing company periodically sends workers to perform maintenance. Normally I receive a note on the door a week or so prior to the maintenance to let me know ahead of time. I was out of town for a few days prior so I just assumed I missed the memo.

The bedroom door was cracked open and to my astonishment, I found a boy who looked no more that 16 years old looking under my bed and I could plainly see that he was unarmed. So I opened the door to confront him. When the boy saw me he instantly froze in fear. He began to slowly walk towards me because I was the only thing standing between him and the exit and said "I was looking for my cell phone". When he got within arms distance from me, I shoved him to the ground and told him to stay still. I then reached under the bed where he was looking because that is where I keep my Sig Sauer P226 mk25 and I wanted to make sure he did not get to it. As soon as he saw me with a gun in my hand and the door exposed, he ran out of the house...as you would expect.

Although this whole event was shocking, that is not what is bothering me right now. What is bothering me is the fact that Georgia is a "King of the Castle " state so many people told me that I should have "shot first and asked questions later". It didn't matter that I would be shooting an unarmed kid in the back as he was running away because he was in my home!

This is the issue I have. I know many people swear that they would never murder someone in cold blood. However, given the right circumstances, I believe that many people would be willing to murder a kid as long as they knew they would not be held legally responsible for it. What do you think?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

I see getting the gun so that he didn't get it as a good move. I agree that you should have called 911 but then what if he would have gotten the gun, and possibly used it on you or some one else? I think that you responded in a way that isn't unexpected or unreasonable in the situation at hand.

It was an unexpected and frightening situation. It's not like you got the gun and shot the kid. You kept him from getting the gun. You kept him from causing more hard to yourself or others.

Seems to me that you showed proper restraint.

But if there's ever a next time, call 911 and don't enter the house.

... and lock up the fuckin' gun. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
19-05-2016, 09:16 PM
(19-05-2016 07:31 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Dude, glad nothing crazy happened. 2 months ago, my coworker was in his house when several boys/men kicked down his door and proceeded to trash and loot the place. He hid in a closet with his laptop and his phone and started calling the police, then one of the men/boys opened the door and saw him. They stared at each other, both speechless and in shock. Then the man/boy yelled to his friends to RUN. So they took what they had and left. My coworker just happened to be working at home because his plans to do something with the family that day fell through. Normally nobody would be home at that time, so it's obvious they had scouted out his house.

The thing is, he recently had his first baby not even a year ago. So the concept of not being safe in his house shook him up. He said he was considering getting a gun.

I'm extremely anti-gun, and in Washington state it's actually very uncommon to hear anybody even mention firearms. We talked briefly about it but ultimately I said only he can choose what is best for him. I don't know what he chose.

Regarding your question "will people shoot if they get a chance?" I have read many say they would. Just seeing a stranger in their house is enough incentive to use lethal force. Obviously I disagree.

Oh I can hook you up with plenty of Washington gun nuts. Impossible to not have them with the huge hunting culture outside the bigger cities. I think it has more to do with the subculture with which you associate than the state in which you live. My stepfather would have fit right into an 1800s life on the prairie movie. We grew up on the Puget Sound, and he started teaching me how to hunt before I hit double digits and got me my first gun when I was 10. My mother always had a revolver in the house, with wich she was well practiced.

I still stay in contact with old friends from Washington who are gun nuts. A guy I served with from Vermont just recently moved to Washington, where he joined a militia lol.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
19-05-2016, 09:33 PM
(19-05-2016 10:24 AM)skyking Wrote:  Nobody should ever see your gun until it is too late for them.

I have never understood this sentiment, and vehemently disagree with it - it seems calculated to punch up every altercation into something worse. Not every altercation is sinister - I'd wager most altercations arise out of misunderstanding or ill timing rather than overt hostility, so damping them rather than inflaming them seems the wiser course.

So explain it, please. Why keep hidden an instrument that seen in advance might forestall confrontations?
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
19-05-2016, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2016 10:53 PM by jabeady.)
Actually, several states have anti-brandishing laws, where just displaying a holstered weapon during a confrontation is illegal. The reasoning behind those laws is another conversation.*

Other than that, you simply never draw your weapon without fully intending to shoot, and then you shoot to kill.

*Although one practical reason for not brandishing is that you might make the other guy brandish or draw his own weapon. Introducing a weapon into a heated situation *in any way* is an automatic escalation by definition, and you have gone from an argument to a trigger - pull's distance from a killing.

Oh crap!
[+] 2 users Like jabeady's post
19-05-2016, 11:02 PM
(19-05-2016 09:33 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 10:24 AM)skyking Wrote:  Nobody should ever see your gun until it is too late for them.

I have never understood this sentiment, and vehemently disagree with it - it seems calculated to punch up every altercation into something worse. Not every altercation is sinister - I'd wager most altercations arise out of misunderstanding or ill timing rather than overt hostility, so damping them rather than inflaming them seems the wiser course.

So explain it, please. Why keep hidden an instrument that seen in advance might forestall confrontations?
The idea that:
I got my gun to go see what was going on...
Took out my gun to warn them...
Calm things down....?
Is always a bad idea that often does the exact opposite.
it shows intent. People get hurt and you are often liable for it.
On the other hand, if you operate on the principle I mentioned, you won't brandish or get out a concealed weapon until there is no other recourse. Bottom line is don't mess around with lethal weapons. You are not a police officer.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
19-05-2016, 11:10 PM
Because of the responsibility that I believe goes with carrying, I don't do it. To each their own, it's just not for me.
19-05-2016, 11:19 PM
(I think) seeing a drawn weapon would bring "fight or flight" instincts to the surface.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
19-05-2016, 11:21 PM
It can escalate a situation to a gunfight with a gun you did not know was there.
20-05-2016, 04:37 AM
Perhaps I should have detained him "pulp fiction" style?

[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
20-05-2016, 04:38 AM
(19-05-2016 11:19 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  (I think) seeing a drawn weapon would bring "fight or flight" instincts to the surface.
Or a gun cut out from a pop tart.