I came home to find someone breaking into my home!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2016, 04:33 PM
RE: I came home to find someone breaking into my home!
(20-05-2016 04:04 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 01:45 PM)SYZ Wrote:  If you lived in Australia you'd be charged by the police for having an unsecured firearm in your house. Under the bed FFS.
Merica!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

In the US (at least in California, where I am), it only has to be locked up if there is a minor in the household.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
20-05-2016, 04:34 PM
(20-05-2016 04:33 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 04:04 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Merica!

In the US (at least in California, where I am), it only has to be locked up if there is a minor in the household.
In Georgia, you can use a gun to open a beer. Cool

[+] 3 users Like jason_delisle's post
20-05-2016, 04:47 PM
(20-05-2016 04:34 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 04:33 PM)Fireball Wrote:  In the US (at least in California, where I am), it only has to be locked up if there is a minor in the household.
In Georgia, you can use a gun to open a beer. Cool

In Texas you MUST use a gun to open a beer.
Big Grin

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
20-05-2016, 04:48 PM
(20-05-2016 04:47 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(20-05-2016 04:34 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  In Georgia, you can use a gun to open a beer. Cool

In Texas you MUST use a gun to open a beer.
Big Grin
Yut! Merica!

20-05-2016, 05:06 PM
(20-05-2016 08:57 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(19-05-2016 10:46 PM)jabeady Wrote:  Actually, several states have anti-brandishing laws, where just displaying a holstered weapon during a confrontation is illegal. The reasoning behind those laws is another conversation.*

Other than that, you simply never draw your weapon without fully intending to shoot, and then you shoot to kill.

*Although one practical reason for not brandishing is that you might make the other guy brandish or draw his own weapon. Introducing a weapon into a heated situation *in any way* is an automatic escalation by definition, and you have gone from an argument to a trigger - pull's distance from a killing.

Oh crap!

Incorrect.

You never "shoot to kill".

You shoot for the center mass of the available target.

You only use a weapon to stop the assailant from continuing their bad behavior. Once an assailant is not longer a threat, you no longer need to use any force.

That covers your ass legally. Morally too, in my opinion.

Saved me some typing there.
[+] 1 user Likes edbaldwin's post
20-05-2016, 05:59 PM
I'm glad you have a conscience. I absolutely believe in defending yourself, shooting someone who's fleeing is not an act of defense. Glad you're okay and someone posted now he knows you have a gun. Please don't leave it laying around and accessible. The next time he might have it and shoot you.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
20-05-2016, 06:05 PM
This might not go over well here. I will admit though that I support our second amendment and am not opposed to lethal force if necessary. I would never shoot someone that is not a threat. Problem is, who or what is a threat? What if the person appears bigger or stronger than myself? What if they are equal size but armed with a hammer or knife? What if they also have a gun? What if they are a much better fighter than me and seriously hurt or kill me or the family? There are so many variables it's hard to say what would be the line in sand that would make me feel justified in drawing/using my pistol in self defense.
I can say that I've never been involved in a situation where it even occurred to me that I might need the help of a firearm. I'm not sure that I'd give an intruder much trust or lead way. Bottom line, I will always choose mine and my family's safety over someone who is a threat.

Having said I am in support of the 2nd amendment, I will also say that I am very embarrassed by some of the Rambo types I know.
A guy I know lost his permit to carry when he "gently nudged a construction worker" with his car when they wouldn't let him out of his driveway. When a second worker came over and hollered at him he brandished his gun. "Just to let them know they better stop." It's people like that that not only hurt the rest of us gun owners and conceal carry permit holders, but also are likely to misuse their right and actually hurt someone.
It's very simple. Avoid conflict and that will nip in the bud most of the potential for self defense. If there is an issue that could call for self defense, don't puff up your chest because you have a weapon. I wouldn't even go in my house if I thought someone broke in. (Not saying OP was wrong in doing so. We all have our own circumstances.)
All that in mind, I can't wrap my head around anti defense attitudes. Or using a different weapon to beat or subdue the criminal. It's not a game. You might think the ball bat under the bed or the Joe Biden "run around shooting a shotgun in the air" will do the trick. DO NOT EVER CONFRONT A PERSON (I'm talking a legit threat)WITHOUT BEING WILLING OR ABLE TO COME OUT ON TOP. To me that means using a firearm. Not all criminals run. Some are very willing to shoot you.
Not all people want guns in the house. I understand. Small kids. Untrained persons in the house. Or you just don't like them. Whatever the reason. But please if that is you be very cautious about getting one upped by the threat.
[+] 2 users Like edbaldwin's post