I can do it

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
04-01-2015, 06:32 PM
RE: I can do it
(04-01-2015 06:23 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 06:03 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Reproducing is the basic purpose of every living organism. You are born, you survive long enough to reproduce and then you die.

Bees, dogs, cats, elephants, lions, any animal obeys that instinct. However we humans, being able to think outside of basic instincts that rule over the animal kingdom, we can choose to go beyond it and follow other goals besides it. Write a book, poetry, compose music, invent, discover, and so on. We can even choose to defy that and not have any children at all.

Even if having kids can be a nice thing for many reasons, in my opinion, it's not the only good thing you can do in life.

Man, I agree with you completely--but that's not an atheistic point of view. That's a theistic point of view with athiest icing on top. [Image: exactly.gif]

A broad generalisation without evidential support. For example, The Polyglot Atheist's point is one I agree with. I am an atheist. I suspect if you conduct a survey, you will find your point does not hold up.

I would also state that from my understanding, the "theist's" point of view is that their purpose is defined for them by God. So at best your point is confusing and is not even internally consistent.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
04-01-2015, 06:32 PM
(04-01-2015 06:03 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Reproducing is the basic purpose of every living organism. You are born, you survive long enough to reproduce and then you die.

Bees, dogs, cats, elephants, lions, any animal obeys that instinct. However we humans, being able to think outside of basic instincts that rule over the animal kingdom, we can choose to go beyond it and follow other goals besides it. Write a book, poetry, compose music, invent, discover, and so on. We can even choose to defy that and not have any children at all.

Even if having kids can be a nice thing for many reasons, in my opinion, it's not the only good thing you can do in life.

Man, I agree with you completely--but that's not an atheistic point of view. That's a theistic point of view with athiest icing on top. [Image: exactly.gif]

Yeah, that's why there is absolutely no invocation of magical cosmic wizards anywhere in Polyglot's post.

Glad that we've sorted out that 'theist' now means "all of the things ever, regardless of what these things mean". Drinking Beverage

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
04-01-2015, 06:35 PM

It's neither. It's a basic fact, something you can state just by looking around, a description of the world, not a worldview.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
05-01-2015, 07:16 AM
(04-01-2015 07:22 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 12:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  1) Still waiting on the citation for me saying your wife should burn in the smoldering car wreck with you.

2) None of those things, living in a decent country (aka a non-American country), riding a bicycle, not dating, being of the gay, hating the idea of God have anything to do with wasting one's life...

I'm not saying you're wasting your life because you live in America or drive a car or have a wife or being bisexual or believing in God, I am saying you are wasting your life by actively trying to spread this religion of yours via books and websites and card readings and shit.

You can't even hold your own in an argument (if that's what this is) against a 23 year old man/child and yet you claim you're better than us and intelligent.
You're a joke. You always have been.

Drinking Beverage

I'm sorry: "Being of the gay." [Image: coffeelaugh.gif]

I am being of the gay
not
I am Being of the gay

aka

I am currently of the gay
not
I am Entity of the gay

At least get it right.

Quote:As to your second point, you're saying that atheism is simply "not believing in God" and nothing more. Nope. That's a cop out.

No it's not. That is all Atheism is.
You could be a solopsist and an Atheist for all I care.

Quote:It's a cop out based on the fact that philosophically and logically you can't really say "God doesn't exist."

True we can't say with absolute 100% certainty that God doesn't exist.
But we can say that the chance that there is a god is so remotely infinitely small that is not worth discussing.
We cannot say with absolute 100% certainty that God exists just the same that theists, including yourself, cannot say with absolute 100% certainty that he does exist. BUT you believe with enough certainty to call yourself a theist and theism is an absolute like atheism. Theism = God DOES exist. Atheism = God DOESN'T exist.
If you are saying that we, atheists, cannot claim to be an absolute because we believe the chance of God is so remotely small that it is not worth mentioning (by saying we are agnostic instead of atheist because the difference between agnostic and atheist is that agnostics actively recognize that small chance and atheists do not), than you yourself cannot claim to be a theist and must also be some agnostic (or some form of theistic agnosticism).

I'm sure you as an "intelligent" person can accept this and see we call ourselves "atheist" and not "agnostic".

Quote:You can't create your own purpose

Why not?
I say you can.

Quote:You can only state what you believe based on what you think is true.

Likewise.

Quote: because it appears logical that the universe was created.

No it doesn't.

Quote:There seems to be this presence with me since I was 9. It's not God, per se, because God is the monistic entity. It's not Jesus, and I never thought it was. It fits the description Jesus gave of the Holy Spirit. But had I not been raised a Christian, I never would have used that term. Spirit guide? Alien contact from another dimension? Guardian angel? Comforter? Higher self? The other? The fact is, I don't know what it is.

I've had strange experiences: precognitive dreams, intuitions, telepathy. I've seen strange things like protozoa moving about like they have a will and memory (But they are just one cell with no neurology at all). I've had answered prayers, healings. And I don't know what to make of all that. But none of it supports a religion--not of any kind I can invent anyway.

You're a registered nurse so I think you can, at least on some level, appreciate what I'm about to suggest and please don't get offended and immediately stop reading.
You could just have a mild case of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is not always about split personalities and all that crazy crazy stuff that the media hype up, it's actually more often exactly like what you explain. That being this mild feeling of two people, aka you and this spiritual person you feel with you, some hallucinations and such, unclear or confused thinking stuff like this. I'm not trying to say you're fucked in the head or something negative, I'm trying to offer a logical, reasonable and slightly concerned explanation. I don't know if you've thought about having something like that before or if someone has suggested it to you before (without being abusive about it), nothing major but just something minor that effects you in this way.

You're a smart dude Gordon, surely you have given this even some small thought or consideration as to an explanation to the way you think/feel.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
05-01-2015, 09:11 AM
(04-01-2015 03:29 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  How to be egor.
Step1. Make many narcissistic threads.
Step2. There is no step2. Step 1 is how to egor.

Why didn't you ban him when you had the opportunity? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2015, 10:21 AM

Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit

Atir aissom atir imon
05-01-2015, 10:37 AM
(05-01-2015 10:21 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  

Step 4: Prophet

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
05-01-2015, 10:49 AM
(01-01-2015 11:22 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  [Image: 6a00d8341ccc8253ef0133edd8346e970b-640wi.jpg]

LMAO

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
05-01-2015, 10:52 AM
(05-01-2015 10:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 10:21 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Step 3: ???

Damn, so close. Correction:
Step 5: Profit

Big Grin

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
05-01-2015, 10:56 AM
(05-01-2015 07:16 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 07:22 AM)Gordon Wrote:  I'm sorry: "Being of the gay." [Image: coffeelaugh.gif]

I am being of the gay
not
I am Being of the gay

aka

I am currently of the gay
not
I am Entity of the gay

At least get it right.

Quote:As to your second point, you're saying that atheism is simply "not believing in God" and nothing more. Nope. That's a cop out.

No it's not. That is all Atheism is.
You could be a solopsist and an Atheist for all I care.

Quote:It's a cop out based on the fact that philosophically and logically you can't really say "God doesn't exist."

True we can't say with absolute 100% certainty that God doesn't exist.
But we can say that the chance that there is a god is so remotely infinitely small that is not worth discussing.
We cannot say with absolute 100% certainty that God exists just the same that theists, including yourself, cannot say with absolute 100% certainty that he does exist. BUT you believe with enough certainty to call yourself a theist and theism is an absolute like atheism. Theism = God DOES exist. Atheism = God DOESN'T exist.
If you are saying that we, atheists, cannot claim to be an absolute because we believe the chance of God is so remotely small that it is not worth mentioning (by saying we are agnostic instead of atheist because the difference between agnostic and atheist is that agnostics actively recognize that small chance and atheists do not), than you yourself cannot claim to be a theist and must also be some agnostic (or some form of theistic agnosticism).

I'm sure you as an "intelligent" person can accept this and see we call ourselves "atheist" and not "agnostic".

Quote:You can't create your own purpose

Why not?
I say you can.

Quote:You can only state what you believe based on what you think is true.

Likewise.

Quote: because it appears logical that the universe was created.

No it doesn't.

Quote:There seems to be this presence with me since I was 9. It's not God, per se, because God is the monistic entity. It's not Jesus, and I never thought it was. It fits the description Jesus gave of the Holy Spirit. But had I not been raised a Christian, I never would have used that term. Spirit guide? Alien contact from another dimension? Guardian angel? Comforter? Higher self? The other? The fact is, I don't know what it is.

I've had strange experiences: precognitive dreams, intuitions, telepathy. I've seen strange things like protozoa moving about like they have a will and memory (But they are just one cell with no neurology at all). I've had answered prayers, healings. And I don't know what to make of all that. But none of it supports a religion--not of any kind I can invent anyway.

You're a registered nurse so I think you can, at least on some level, appreciate what I'm about to suggest and please don't get offended and immediately stop reading.
You could just have a mild case of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is not always about split personalities and all that crazy crazy stuff that the media hype up, it's actually more often exactly like what you explain. That being this mild feeling of two people, aka you and this spiritual person you feel with you, some hallucinations and such, unclear or confused thinking stuff like this. I'm not trying to say you're fucked in the head or something negative, I'm trying to offer a logical, reasonable and slightly concerned explanation. I don't know if you've thought about having something like that before or if someone has suggested it to you before (without being abusive about it), nothing major but just something minor that effects you in this way.

You're a smart dude Gordon, surely you have given this even some small thought or consideration as to an explanation to the way you think/feel.

Very nice post. Muffs.
<3

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post