Poll: Can you live with doubt certainty and unknowing?
This poll is closed.
Yes. 93.75% 15 93.75%
No. 6.25% 1 6.25%
Total 16 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

I can live with doubt certainty and unknowing.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2017, 07:57 AM
RE: I can live with doubt certainty and unknowing.
I've lived with plenty uncertainty and unknowing over the past few years, so yes. Smile

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2017, 08:06 AM
Don't know any other way to live.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
[+] 3 users Like M. Linoge's post
16-08-2017, 08:11 AM
There's some things I need certainty about to get through life. I need health insurance, a steady job, food to eat, a house over my head that I know won't be taken away from me, a fairly steady country to live in. (That's been getting a little rocky of late. Dodgy ) I need basic stuff to get through the day and the certainity that it will be there tomorrow. So, yeah, that's the kind of certainty I need.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-08-2017, 10:18 AM
I can live with doubt certainty and unknowing.
Given that one can't be sure if one will see next sunrise then uncertainty could be called human condition I guess. So it's not question of can - I just live with uncertainty and I don't have much choice in this regard.

Doubt too isn't stranger for me.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
16-08-2017, 10:45 AM
There is no alternative.

Good to hear from you mate.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-08-2017, 11:12 AM
dancefortwo has it right about the things I do want to be certain about. Uncertainty about god? Nope. Not there. But sadly, in these parts even after we pay off the mortgage we can never be 100% certain the roof over our heads won't be taken away from us. Over the years I've seen too many elderly neighbors lose their family homes to property tax bill increases that they just plain couldn't pay.

I think property tax is the single most heinous tax of them all. For that reason. Many years ago we once saw our house re-valuation go from about $45,000 to about $105,000 in one single jump. With no justification whatsoever. Fortunately we were able to fight it (along with about 3/4 of others in the county in the same boat) and get it down to about $65,000, using an independent appraiser. We're all holding our collective breath now because they did a revaluation again this year and nobody has gotten word yet how we've fared. But one thing I do know is that my neighbor two doors down waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpaid a few months ago when he bought the rental he'd been in for many years. And that's the kind of thing (neighborhood specs) that drives everybody's value up on paper. Not in reality, since I can't get any more for my house if I sold now than I would have before he bought his, but it's gonna damn sure be used to "justify" the tax people raising my tax bill.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
16-08-2017, 02:59 PM
(16-08-2017 07:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(16-08-2017 07:29 AM)morondog Wrote:  What on earth are you doing that for???

It is uncertain. Drinking Beverage (that's tea by the way) Tongue

Just an expensive habit and I do feel better (more relaxed) when I don't drink it.

'Snot that expensive. I've gone without coffee before Confused Not a good feeling...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-08-2017, 03:30 PM
(16-08-2017 02:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-08-2017 07:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  It is uncertain. Drinking Beverage (that's tea by the way) Tongue

Just an expensive habit and I do feel better (more relaxed) when I don't drink it.

'Snot that expensive. I've gone without coffee before Confused Not a good feeling...

I spend 5 bucks a day on my lattes. But this is only Day 1 of no latte, so by Day 2, I may be texting you from Starbucks Hobo Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post