I can't fool myself into believing in god anymore, now I'm too depressed I wanna die.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2014, 12:14 PM
I can't fool myself into believing in god anymore, now I'm too depressed I wanna die.
I was a christian till 15, a friend was slapped on the face for being a christian so I left Christianity because what's the point in praying to a god that won't protect his "children"... after 3 years I returned to the church, and after a year and a half I started reading about science, and I saw that the logic was with the big bang and evolution not a god that created the world in 6 days and created a man from the dust and a woman from his rib, since then I'm an atheist, I'm now 21 years old, and I would want to believe in a protector but I can't believe in a weak god, I can't believe in a god that lets a kid be slapped for believing in him because this god promised that he will be with us till the end of times, I can't believe in a god that doesn't fulfill his promises, but this isn't the problem.

I feel that I'm resisting that thought that god doesn't exist, because I feel alone and unprotected in a cruel world... I know that god doesn't exist, but I'm too depressed, I lost my motives to live, I mean my motives are my family and my "future love" but what's the point in living for people that will die and never be there anymore!!!I mean I want to die myself because what's the point in waiting for death? I now find myself sometimes singing christian songs, and whenever I'm near a church I enter, I don't know why but it seems that I can't just accept the thought that there's no purpose for us and we will die eventually and everything we made will have no meaning (I mean the universe itself will die someday), So I want to ask the atheists here how did you come to terms with the fact that you're uncovered, that you, your family, your wife/husband, the celebrities you love and the universe itself will not be there anymore, how do you continue everyday knowing that if you died today, that'll be it!! in college I was talkative and to some extent social and so but now I'm too blue and depressed to even talk to people because I now am without hope, please help me to accept the fact that there's no god, and please everybody, don't be mean to me for posting this question.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bishoy.Adel's post
23-10-2014, 12:19 PM
RE: I can't fool myself into believing in god anymore, now I'm too depressed I wanna die.
Dude. You're stardust.

(Girly, you wanna take care of that for me?)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 10 users Like Stark Raving's post
23-10-2014, 12:24 PM
RE: I can't fool myself into believing in god anymore, now I'm too depressed I wanna die.
Do you like ice cream? Bacon? Rainbows? Music? Science? People?

You are already wondering "Why?". Do you ever wonder, "What's next?"

You have one life - live it, don't waste it, don't throw it away.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Chas's post
23-10-2014, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2014 12:36 PM by Stark Raving.)
Aha! There we go...

...nope. That's not the one. Girly, help a brother out.

I'll leave it up tho. It's just the tip of the awesomeness iceberg.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
23-10-2014, 12:34 PM
first- atheism means we don't believe in god, thats it. That is the end extent of what atheists have in common.

Thoughts on every other topic vary depending on who you talk to.

Some of the popular ideas that I have heard are:

1. you are stardust. You and the universe are made of the same stuff. You are part of it, it is part of you.

2. where were you a hundred years before you were born? no where. That is where you will be when you die. no where. you stop.

3. go google " why you want a physicist at your funeral"

4. Hitchens said something about no one ever wants to leave a good party, the part that sucks is that we know the party is going on without us. or something like that. I'm sure someone else will explain much better than me.

you only get one go on this rock, make it count.

spidey senses tingling.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
23-10-2014, 12:40 PM
All I can say is, you're in the right place. This is where I came when all that stuff started happening to me. It's scary at first, but it gets better with time. You will come to realize that life is worth living because there is not god.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 8 users Like Losty's post
23-10-2014, 12:59 PM
I felt exactly like you, like you were betrayed, depressed that there's not something after this, that I won't ever see my family and friends ever again someday. But you know what? THAT'S precisely why living in the moment is so important, why we have to appreciate what we have now.

Like Chas said, there are things you like about life, right? What are they? Are those things less enjoyable because you won't be kissing some sky daddy's ass for eternity? No way! Those things you enjoy, that made you the life of the party and gregarious are still the same, it's just your knowledge of a whole other subject that's changed. Think about how much time you wasted believing in a myth and all the fear you had of not pleasing this myth and what the circumstances would have been. It's enough to make you spitting mad.

For me, confirming my atheism was a lot like grieving. I was in shock, then depressed, then angered and now I'm over it and moving on. Now I'm happier with my worldview and life than I ever was, and it's all because the things I love and enjoy are all the more precious. Think about how lucky you are to be alive, and to paraphrase Dawkins, how unlucky those who will never be born are. You're one of the lucky ones. Hold on to that and you'll be fine.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
23-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Someone sold you that horrible idea that life is meaningless because we are finite in reality.

Yes ultimately there is no "meaning" to all this. In 1 billion years neither you or I will be here. But we also were not around 1 billion years ago. Do you spend time worrying about your pre birth non existence?

You go to a movie knowing it will end and still enjoy it. You go to a concert knowing it will end and still enjoy it. You go to a sporting event, knowing one team will win and the other will lose and that to also ends.

Getting upset about being finite would be like getting upset every time the seasons changed and crying every time a leaf fell off a tree. Your life will always have ups and downs, everyone has ups and downs. But your happiness depends on you, and what you think of yourself while you are alive, and what you do to make yourself happy while you are alive.

It is not doom and gloom to accept reality. I find it liberating that there is nothing to fear about it. It frees me up to be myself and be happy with myself without superstitious fictional utopias or live under threats of non existent hell.

I have love for my mother that keeps me going. I have love for my friends that keep me going. I have love for my cat that keeps me going. I love thinking about the awesomeness of nature, both the constructive and destructive parts. I love to write poetry. And I love helping other atheists feel comfortable in their own skin. I have these feelings every day and even with any bad that may happen to me in the future, I still live knowing I do have good things in my life. The ride ending when you get old does not have to be pessimistic, what is positive is that you have a ride to begin with.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 17 users Like Brian37's post
23-10-2014, 01:30 PM
(23-10-2014 12:59 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Someone sold you that horrible idea that life is meaningless because we are finite in reality.

Yes ultimately there is no "meaning" to all this. In 1 billion years neither you or I will be here. But we also were not around 1 billion years ago. Do you spend time worrying about your pre birth non existence?

You go to a movie knowing it will end and still enjoy it. You go to a concert knowing it will end and still enjoy it. You go to a sporting event, knowing one team will win and the other will lose and that to also ends.

Getting upset about being finite would be like getting upset every time the seasons changed and crying every time a leaf fell off a tree. Your life will always have ups and downs, everyone has ups and downs. But your happiness depends on you, and what you think of yourself while you are alive, and what you do to make yourself happy while you are alive.

It is not doom and gloom to accept reality. I find it liberating that there is nothing to fear about it. It frees me up to be myself and be happy with myself without superstitious fictional utopias or live under threats of non existent hell.

I have love for my mother that keeps me going. I have love for my friends that keep me going. I have love for my cat that keeps me going. I love thinking about the awesomeness of nature, both the constructive and destructive parts. I love to write poetry. And I love helping other atheists feel comfortable in their own skin. I have these feelings every day and even with any bad that may happen to me in the future, I still live knowing I do have good things in my life. The ride ending when you get old does not have to be pessimistic, what is positive is that you have a ride to begin with.

^^^this post^^^ is my absolute favorite of all the ones of yours that I have read. Heart

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 5 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
23-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Don't mean to be abrupt and cruel, but it's a phase many of us went through. Various aspects of it may (mostly likely will )resolve quickly, some may not become clear to you for many years. What I think is that when you really see what it was about religion that attracted you, you will find it's still available to you, in ways you never expected, but not based in fantasy.
Deconversion is a process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12rP8ybp13s

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post