I can't fool myself into believing in god anymore, now I'm too depressed I wanna die.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2014, 09:15 PM
RE: I can't fool myself into believing in god anymore, now I'm too depressed I wanna die.
(23-10-2014 06:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Here ya go Stark.

And just for good measure:

THATS what I was thinking of! The science Saved My Soul one. They get a little mixed up in my head, but ya.

So what do you say Bishoy.Adel? Stick around for a while and get to know some of your fellow heathens?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
24-10-2014, 03:21 AM
RE: I can't fool myself into believing in god anymore, now I'm too depressed I wanna die.
Really you guys are "godsend", I'm very thankful to you all, for the videos and the posts, I guess the depression is really a part of the deconversation process and it'll go step by step with time, and of course stark I'd love to stick and know about everybody of you, and I will because I think this forum is great, I will be here learning from you all, and maybe helping out new people someday or another.

Thanks to all really, I don't want to leave out any names, but your answers are very helpful although I thought there'd be many "Life is cruel, get over it" kind of answers Smile , Thanks for your time and the effort you made in order to get me out of the depression state, I'd be around.
[+] 10 users Like Bishoy.Adel's post
24-10-2014, 04:20 AM
That's the spirit Bishoy! Just know that you're not alone, we all face the same fate. However our lives' value does not depend on that fate, but on what you do before it. Enjoy your life! Smile

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
24-10-2014, 07:25 AM
(24-10-2014 03:21 AM)Bishoy.Adel Wrote:  I thought there'd be many "Life is cruel, get over it" kind of answers Smile

Well, I wouldn't want to disappoint you! Big Grin

I wouldn't say that life is cruel but I would say that the universe is indifferent. A lot of negative things happen but a lot of positive things happen. Most things are pretty neutral. What matters most is what you choose to focus on, having realistic expectations, and working to minimize the consequences of the negatives and the occurrences and benefits of the positives.

And that's from a lifelong cynic.
Weeping

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
24-10-2014, 10:14 AM
I think you've found a good place to recover from supernatural belief, Bishoy.Adel.
You may find yourself going back and forth for a while; I've observed in friends that it is very much a process and that process is very individual. There seem to be distinct stages - watch out for the grief stage, it can throw you for a loop and really trigger a depression especially if you are prone to it.
It'll be good to have you around.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
24-10-2014, 10:24 AM
(23-10-2014 12:14 PM)Bishoy.Adel Wrote:  I was a christian till 15, a friend was slapped on the face for being a christian so I left Christianity because what's the point in praying to a god that won't protect his "children"... after 3 years I returned to the church, and after a year and a half I started reading about science, and I saw that the logic was with the big bang and evolution not a god that created the world in 6 days and created a man from the dust and a woman from his rib, since then I'm an atheist, I'm now 21 years old, and I would want to believe in a protector but I can't believe in a weak god, I can't believe in a god that lets a kid be slapped for believing in him because this god promised that he will be with us till the end of times, I can't believe in a god that doesn't fulfill his promises, but this isn't the problem.

I feel that I'm resisting that thought that god doesn't exist, because I feel alone and unprotected in a cruel world... I know that god doesn't exist, but I'm too depressed, I lost my motives to live, I mean my motives are my family and my "future love" but what's the point in living for people that will die and never be there anymore!!!I mean I want to die myself because what's the point in waiting for death? I now find myself sometimes singing christian songs, and whenever I'm near a church I enter, I don't know why but it seems that I can't just accept the thought that there's no purpose for us and we will die eventually and everything we made will have no meaning (I mean the universe itself will die someday), So I want to ask the atheists here how did you come to terms with the fact that you're uncovered, that you, your family, your wife/husband, the celebrities you love and the universe itself will not be there anymore, how do you continue everyday knowing that if you died today, that'll be it!! in college I was talkative and to some extent social and so but now I'm too blue and depressed to even talk to people because I now am without hope, please help me to accept the fact that there's no god, and please everybody, don't be mean to me for posting this question.

Well, for one thing, nothing has really changed. It's only your perception of it that has changed. So, if you were enjoying life when you believed in God, there is no reason you can't still enjoy it. Yes, we will all eventually die and that will be the end of it for us. But we are here now and the things that bring you joy - family, friends, leisure activities, music, or whatever applies to you - still can. It's true that we are here for just a blip in time, but we are also very fortunate to be here at all. It's like winning the lottery. The odds were against YOU specifically ever being born - how many sperm never get fertilized? how many would-be parents never get to conceive because of an accident or illness? so many reasons - in fact, odds were against any human beings ever coming into existence - and yet here you are and here we are. Cherish what you have instead of what you don't have.

Edit:
By the way, congratulations on taking your first step toward a BETTER life. And welcome to TTA. Smile

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
24-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Personally, I find that the universe's indifference to suffering, death and misery is more easy to stomach than the alternative...

When something really awful happens, there's no unanswered questions as to why it happened... It just did. Science can usually explain what happened and how. But why is an irrelevant question.

If everything that ever happened was all part of a god's plan, then it reduces human tragedies to mere collateral... Even if his intentions were good, it's an intervention that is unwanted, and achieves nothing.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
31-10-2014, 02:08 PM
RE: I can't fool myself into believing in god anymore
(23-10-2014 12:14 PM)Bishoy.Adel Wrote:  I feel that I'm resisting that thought that god doesn't exist, because I feel alone and unprotected in a cruel world... I know that god doesn't exist, but I'm too depressed, I lost my motives to live, I mean my motives are my family and my "future love" but what's the point in living for people that will die and never be there anymore!!!

A few years ago I got a phone call from my sister. I felt she was sad and asked her why. Her computer just crashed and she had lost her pictures : two years of ordinary family photographs, but including two pregnancies and the births of her two daughters. She managed to recover a few pictures she had previously sent to family, but the others were defenitely lost.

I didn't know what to say, how to console her. Then I remembered something I had read a few years earlier. It was about a paradox, concerning information and black holes. On one hand, the laws of physics are reversible in time. This means that information never gets lost. Every configuration, even when it dissolutes, leaves its indelible trace in the future. But there was a problem, because matter and information could fall into a black hole where it would be annihilated. This was a paradox.

I'd read that the paradox had been solved, so I told my sister : "Don't worry. The pictures aren't on your hard drive anymore. But if they are lost for you, they still exist. Their information is slowly diluting in the universe. They are on their way to the stars.
- You're sure of that ?
- I'm sure."

Nothing, noone, that has ever existed will be erased from the universe. They stop laughing. They stop talking. They stop moving. They stop being there. What they were, what they brought you, what they meant to you, that will persist long after death. Theirs and yours. So will you.

That's my little promise of eternity.
[+] 2 users Like corfou73's post
01-11-2014, 10:27 AM
RE: I can't fool myself into believing in god anymore, now I'm too depressed
Keep your belief in God. As a skeptic married to a Roman Catholic, my advice is to give some thought about something in the middle. My wife finds comfort at Mass and Al-Anon. And outside of these two or three hours per week, she is a nurse practitioner for a group of surgeons and Hospice. I think belief in God / Higher Power gives her an element of hope and comfort, not just for herself but for others. She does not evangelize.

Now, it is easy to find atheists like Dawkins who dismiss my wife as a genetic mutation. Please make an attempt to ignore these people. For them, old fear of supernatural Hell or Satan has simply been replaced by new fear of natural carbon dioxide and animal fat.

My evil wife, like me, does not fear any of these things. And when you finally reject the fear pushed by Christian fundamentalists and modern scientists, you will be truly free.

Go where you feel comfortable.
[+] 1 user Likes Walter's post
01-11-2014, 02:40 PM
(01-11-2014 10:27 AM)Walter Wrote:  Keep your belief in God. As a skeptic married to a Roman Catholic, my advice is to give some thought about something in the middle. My wife finds comfort at Mass and Al-Anon. And outside of these two or three hours per week, she is a nurse practitioner for a group of surgeons and Hospice. I think belief in God / Higher Power gives her an element of hope and comfort, not just for herself but for others. She does not evangelize.

Now, it is easy to find atheists like Dawkins who dismiss my wife as a genetic mutation. Please make an attempt to ignore these people. For them, old fear of supernatural Hell or Satan has simply been replaced by new fear of natural carbon dioxide and animal fat.

My evil wife, like me, does not fear any of these things. And when you finally reject the fear pushed by Christian fundamentalists and modern scientists, you will be truly free.

Go where you feel comfortable.

To put the above post in simpler form..

[Image: fingers-in-ears.jpg]

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post