I can't rationalize atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2014, 04:54 PM
I can't rationalize atheism
I would much rather not believe in a god, but there are a few things that I cannot escape.

1. The ontological argument, which shifts the burden of proof onto atheists
2. The cosmological argument
3. The fact that I'm a pathetic piece of shit. Who am I to question the really smart people who believe?
4. The idea that materialism is self refuting/argument from solipsism

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes diddo97's post
12-04-2014, 05:00 PM
RE: I can't rationalize atheism
(12-04-2014 04:54 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I would much rather not believe in a god, but there are a few things that I cannot escape.

3. The fact that I'm a pathetic piece of shit. Who am I to question the really smart people who believe?

1) no, sweety, it doesn't. There is no link between physical reality and thought. You say there is? Provide evidence.
2) The existence of the universe is evidence for nothing but the universe. "I don't know" doesn't mean God did it.
3) I've written a long piece on sin. Search if you want. Short version: being a normal human does not count as a crime.
4) Explain. This looks like word salad to me.
[+] 11 users Like natachan's post
12-04-2014, 05:01 PM
1. No, it doesn't.

2. Refuted a zillion times.

3. Can't say - I don't know you....but people who uncritically believe in ancient superstition are generally assholes.

4. Philosophical mumbo-jumbo.

Now. Feel better and dump the god shit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
12-04-2014, 05:01 PM
(12-04-2014 04:54 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I would much rather not believe in a god, but there are a few things that I cannot escape.

1. It tries to but fails (see myriads of other threads here)
2. It fails (see myriads of other threads here)
3. Well there is a carbon connection but honestly one critical thinker is worth ten smart theists (no offence intended (this time), KC) Tongue
4. Solipsism means that whichever of us is the real god (GirlyMan probably) should have a serious word with themselves.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
12-04-2014, 05:04 PM
(12-04-2014 05:00 PM)natachan Wrote:  

1) no, sweety, it doesn't. There is no link between physical reality and thought. You say there is? Provide evidence.
2) The existence of the universe is evidence for nothing but the universe. "I don't know" doesn't mean God did it.
3) I've written a long piece on sin. Search if you want. Short version: being a normal human does not count as a crime.
4) Explain. This looks like word salad to me.

1. No no. The ontological argument proves that if it's possible that a maximally great being exists, a maximally great being MUST exist. So, nonbeliever must now prove that a maximally great being cannot exist.
2. Everything that exists has a cause. Do you disagree with that statement
3. I am lower than a normal person
4. http://carm.org/materialistic-atheism-self-refuting

Truth seeker.
12-04-2014, 05:09 PM
(12-04-2014 05:01 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

3. Well there is a carbon connection but honestly one critical thinker is worth ten smart theists (no offence intended (this time), KC) Tongue
4. Solipsism means that whichever of us is the real god (GirlyMan probably) should have a serious word with themselves.

Drinking Beverage

I'm not even worth 1/100000 of a smart person

Truth seeker.
12-04-2014, 05:09 PM

1,2 have been discussed far too many times here.
3. Hasn't anything to do with anything and can easily be reversed to say who am I to disagree with really smart people who don't believe. Honestly what people believe or don't matters little to me.
4 meh...not really important enough to matter...see 3.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Tongue RE: I can't rationalize atheism
(12-04-2014 05:01 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

Drinking Beverage
The critical atheistic thinker is locked within her self appointed secular domain.
If and only if logic, science, and accrued knowledge, sets the boundaries, then this is fair enough.
However, as what we perceive (ongoingly) is subject to ever changing knowledge and criteria: it follows that there are no concrete absolutes.
Contemplation beyond materialistic norms, within reason, need not have scientific justification. Nor should religious platitudes serve exclusively in transcendent considerations.
Process theology has made some efforts at synthesis in this area; it is still quite murky, though not without promise.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
12-04-2014, 06:04 PM
(12-04-2014 05:04 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  1. No no. The ontological argument proves that if it's possible that a maximally great being exists, a maximally great being MUST exist. So, nonbeliever must now prove that a maximally great being cannot exist.

Cuz you say so? How does it prove this? The premise is assumed and not proven.

(12-04-2014 05:04 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  2. Everything that exists has a cause. Do you disagree with that statement

So what caused the universe? God?
What cause him? He has no cause?

I thought everything that exists has a cause. Does this mean God doesn't exist?

I'm assuming you'll bust out something like "God is timeless" or "God is eternal". Two things:
  • How do you know?
  • How do you know the universe isn't timeless or eternal? No one saw its cause, so assuming it has one is... assuming.

(12-04-2014 05:04 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  3. I am lower than a normal person

Then stop talking about things you don't understand.
[+] 14 users Like RobbyPants's post
12-04-2014, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 07:17 PM by John.)
(12-04-2014 04:54 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I would much rather not believe in a god, but there are a few things that I cannot escape...

I'm much more interested in this confusing statement than any of the (non-)points that follow. Why is it again that you'd rather not believe in a god? The only sensible answer seems to be that your conception of (a?) god is something along the lines of abhorrent/disgusting/terrifying/spiteful..., or to put it another way, your god's a prick. So congrats, if you're an upright person there's no reason to worship that god even if he existed. Now pull yourself together and live a happy life knowing you're morally superior to that ass of a god you've been tricked to believe in. You're welcome! Thumbsup

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 3 users Like John's post