I can't rationalize atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2014, 06:32 PM
RE: I can't rationalize atheism
(13-04-2014 12:28 PM)John Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 11:33 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  It sounds like a cry of help from someone who is depressed and somehow being a theist gives him an excuse to think that he can't help any of his problems.

This is pretty much spot on. Whatever the OP had in mind when he posted, it was not the inexorable persuasiveness of the Ontological argument.

I agree too. After reading through the pages and seeing the lack of support he (he, right?) for his ideas or doesn't really seem to even to bother accepting whatever people tell him as even possibly true, I believe this OP needs help. For that fact, I think the only real question that would be beneficial for him to know first is number 3. If he keeps believing he's a piece of shit that doesn't deserve to question god or is sub-par to the rest of the human race, he won't lift his head up from the fog to see any bright rays of sun, so to speak. Clearly this OP needs to first find a way to boost his confidence. Because if you keep telling yourself you're not worth something, you'll defiantly make yourself worth nothing, even if it's the answers to the questions you ask people. Whether or not he decides to believe in god, believing that somehow everyone is more important than another person is a rather is not the way to live life.

[Image: notagain.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
13-04-2014, 07:37 PM
(13-04-2014 03:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 12:25 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
Code:
Let x = y    (Given).
x*x = x*y     (Multiplied both sides by y)
x*x-y*y = x*y - y*y    (subtracted y*y from both sides).
(x - y)*(x + y) = (x - y)*y    (Factored)
x + y = y    (Canceled out x - y)
y + y = y     (Substituted x = y, Given from line 1.)
2y = y    (Combined like terms)
2 = 1    (Divided both sides by y.  Conclusion.)

There! Proof that 2 = 1!

This one is used way too much. You devided by zero in line 4.

Yup! And the cosmological argument, and Plantinga's modal ontological argument, are also used way too much. We've already pointed out where they go wrong. The point is, none of these are actual proofs, because of their flaws.
[+] 6 users Like Reltzik's post
13-04-2014, 07:46 PM
I can't rationalize you.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 4 users Like Freethought's post
13-04-2014, 09:14 PM
(13-04-2014 06:16 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  1. Islands, by definition, are not perfect. They are material. Material has flaws.

If islands are by definition, not perfect, then non-perfect islands are perfect islands, by definition.

(13-04-2014 06:16 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  2. There still has to be a first cause.

You just changed the goal posts. You said everything has a cause, not a "first cause". If your god is omnipotent, she could have made robot universe creators, and they could have made this universe. What ? Your god is not omnipotent ?
The problem is not what the "cause" is. The question is what caused the Principle of Causality, if Causality was not already in place. How can something cause Causality, if Causality was not already in place ? Infinite regression, AND your deity is not the creator of the Reality you assert it exists in, by your "logic".

(13-04-2014 06:16 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  3. It would be wrong for someone like me to make assertions. I don't have very much knowledge.

Disingenuous crapola. Yet here you are making them anyway.

(13-04-2014 06:16 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  4. That's what I thought at first, too. But it is inescapable.

To you maybe, yet you say you have not much knowledge, so no one will listen to anything you say, in light of that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-04-2014, 12:12 AM
(13-04-2014 06:16 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  3. It would be wrong for someone like me to make assertions. I don't have very much knowledge

But everyone can continue to ask questions and if people really are correct and have a good understanding then they will be able to answer them in a way that someone who is ignorant will understand.

(13-04-2014 06:16 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  4. That's what I thought at first, too. But it is inescapable.

No it really is utter rubbish from start to finish. If you want to ask why then I can explain.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
14-04-2014, 12:21 AM
(14-04-2014 12:12 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  No it really is utter rubbish from start to finish. If you want to ask why then I can explain.

Ok, go ahead.

Truth seeker.
14-04-2014, 12:48 AM
(14-04-2014 12:21 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(14-04-2014 12:12 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  No it really is utter rubbish from start to finish. If you want to ask why then I can explain.

Ok, go ahead.

Sure, but first will you have to tell me that you won't just ignore it all and continue saying 'it is inescapable' without even bothering to ask more questions or discuss the points that are raised.

It is perfectly acceptable to say that you don't understand or to ask for clarification. The fault may be in how I explain it. If a question doesn't seem to answer it in a way that you understand either ask more questions or ask in a different way.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
14-04-2014, 03:56 AM
(14-04-2014 12:48 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Sure, but first will you have to tell me that you won't just ignore it all and continue saying 'it is inescapable' without even bothering to ask more questions or discuss the points that are raised.

It is perfectly acceptable to say that you don't understand or to ask for clarification. The fault may be in how I explain it. If a question doesn't seem to answer it in a way that you understand either ask more questions or ask in a different way.

Ok, hopefully I won't be insane when I read it...

Truth seeker.
14-04-2014, 04:20 AM
(14-04-2014 03:56 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Ok, hopefully I won't be insane when I read it...

Judging by how you've conducted yourself over the course of this thread, I find that to be... inescapable.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 4 users Like Anudist's post
14-04-2014, 05:06 AM
(13-04-2014 11:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Agreed Mathilda...

...apparently the pity party is more enjoyable than getting better.

Martyr complex, perhaps? This board could provide just the right brand of external validation somone who feels they have no intrinsic value needs.
[+] 1 user Likes Mat0816's post