Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2014, 04:49 AM
RE: I can't rationalize atheism
(13-04-2014 04:43 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 04:41 AM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  But here you said
Do you want to believe or not?

Did you look at what you replied to? Confused

If you don't want to believe in a god then actively disbelieve it. It will be no different to people believing in God because they want to.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
13-04-2014, 04:54 AM
(13-04-2014 04:49 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 04:43 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Did you look at what you replied to? Confused

If you don't want to believe in a god then actively disbelieve it. It will be no different to people believing in God because they want to.

I don't want to believe, but It has been proven. I cannot escape fact.

Truth seeker.
13-04-2014, 04:54 AM
(13-04-2014 04:47 AM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 04:43 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Did you look at what you replied to? Confused

You posted crappy reasons why you felt compelled to believe, but having to believe something isn't the same as wanting to do it. And just earlier, when asked if you wanted to believe, you specified just not the Christian god, implying there was a god you liked.

Why should anyone care what I "like"?

Truth seeker.
13-04-2014, 04:59 AM
(13-04-2014 04:54 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 04:49 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  If you don't want to believe in a god then actively disbelieve it. It will be no different to people believing in God because they want to.

No it hasn't.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
13-04-2014, 05:01 AM
(13-04-2014 04:49 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  If you don't want to believe in a god then actively disbelieve it. It will be no different to people believing in God because they want to.

Evidentialism 101:

Supply your evidence for you claim or sit back down and shut your proverbial rectum from which you are spewing such unsubstantiated horse faeces.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
13-04-2014, 05:03 AM
(13-04-2014 04:47 AM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  You posted crappy reasons why you felt compelled to believe, but having to believe something isn't the same as wanting to do it. And just earlier, when asked if you wanted to believe, you specified just not the Christian god, implying there was a god you liked.

Why should anyone care what I "like"?

Because argument no.1 in your post hinges on it.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
13-04-2014, 05:23 AM
(12-04-2014 06:08 PM)John Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 04:54 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I would much rather not believe in a god, but there are a few things that I cannot escape...

Why is it again that you'd rather not believe in a god?

Care to respond?

[Image: CharlieBrownPsyBooth-1.jpg]

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
13-04-2014, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2014 07:13 AM by Mat0816.)
(12-04-2014 04:54 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  I would much rather not believe in a god, but there are a few things that I cannot escape.

1. The ontological argument, which shifts the burden of proof onto atheists
2. The cosmological argument
3. The fact that I'm a pathetic piece of shit. Who am I to question the really smart people who believe?
4. The idea that materialism is self refuting/argument from solipsism

1. The burden of proof, as in a court of law, is upon the one making the claim. Doesn't matter what the claim is. The bible makes a clam. So atheists asks, where is the evidence? When an atheist makes a claim, feel free to ask for evidence. But do take care to make sure you aren't committing the fallacy of projecting what you think that atheist is saying and failing to listen to what he/she truly said. Most atheists will say "I find no evidence which supports any god, nor do I find that a god is necessary". That is not the same as "I know there is no god" though many religionists insist they are equivalent statements. If you can't have a conversation founded in honesty, you will only find yourself growing more and more frustrated with fewer and fewer people willing to talk with you.

2. As somoene else said, the universe isn't proof of anything but the universe. Be very careful here that you don't slip into the comfortable old shoe that is the god of the gaps fallacy. Science isn't afraid of what it doesn't know. It welcomes what it doesn't understand, for that which we don't understand today becomes the foundation and basis for tomorrow's questions. Religion asks why, science asks how. They aren't even on the same page. If you don't understand something, that doesn't mean it can't be understood. Maybe not today, maybe not even in our lifetime. But if you say "I don't understand, therefore god" you certainly will never allow yourself to understand.

3. Thinking independently is awesome, you should try it sometime.

4. I'm with those who have no idea what you mean here. ETA: Okay, I may be caught up here a bit. I'll just drastically oversimplify by quoting Arthur C. Clarke: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

IMO, none that of matters much. READ THE BIBLE. All of it. Even the scary parts. The part where god kills children to punish a man for making the only choice god left him capable of making. The part where god orders a man to kill his son to prove that he loves god more than he loves his son. The part where the perfect god gets pissed at himself for creating an imperfect thing and then kills every. single. one. of them. Except, you know, Noah. The part where god rewards a man for offering his daughter up to a rape mob by letting him leave the city he promptly destroys. The part where god sends bear to maul little kids for teasing a man about being bald. And then ask yourself, is that a god who is worthy of my devotion? If this idea of a suernatural god is a good one, it will stand or fall on its own merits, not based on whether or not science can explain anything about the natural world we live in.
[+] 2 users Like Mat0816's post
13-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Diddo97 listen very carefully. I AM YOUR GOD. YOU ARE TO GO TO YOUR BANK AND WITHDRAW ALL YOUR SAVINGS. SEND THEM TO ME AT FLAT 1a Pergurtory St Heaven.

USE FIRST CLASS POST!!!!

AMEN.

I BLESS ME.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
13-04-2014, 08:21 AM

Not proven; you ignore fact.

It appears you didn't read any of the responses. If you did, you sure didn't understand them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post