I can't spell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2014, 02:05 PM
I can't spell
What is it about the English language that makes it so god damn hard to spell. Why are there two spellings for the word grey/gray? Why is tear, crying tears and I will tear (rip) the paper in half, spelled the same but pronounced differently? The English language is loaded with spelling puzzles that don't make sense.

I am not a natural speller and were it not for the spell check you wouldn't be able to understand what the hell I'm writing.

Are there any other non spellers here? I mean, I'm pretty smart but I just can't spell for shit. Vowels are my special nemesis.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-11-2014, 02:12 PM
RE: I can't spell
I spell creatively.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
21-11-2014, 02:15 PM
(21-11-2014 02:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What is it about the English language that makes it so god damn hard to spell. Why are there two spellings for the word grey/gray? Why is tear, crying tears and I will tear (rip) the paper in half, spelled the same but pronounced differently? The English language is loaded with spelling puzzles that don't make sense.

I am not a natural speller and were it not for the spell check you wouldn't be able to understand what the hell I'm writing.

Are there any other non spellers here? I mean, I'm pretty smart but I just can't spell for shit. Vowels are my special nemesis.

It's because you reject spelling, you're angry with spelling. You must open your heart to spelling and let the orthography enter. Smile
[+] 14 users Like Rik's post
21-11-2014, 02:25 PM
(21-11-2014 02:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  What is it about the English language that makes it so god damn hard to spell. Why are there two spellings for the word grey/gray? Why is tear, crying tears and I will tear (rip) the paper in half, spelled the same but pronounced differently? The English language is loaded with spelling puzzles that don't make sense.

I don't really understand the question.
21-11-2014, 02:28 PM
I'll put a spell on you. Shy
[+] 7 users Like LadyJane's post
21-11-2014, 03:24 PM
(21-11-2014 02:15 PM)Rik Wrote:  

It's because you reject spelling, you're angry with spelling. You must open your heart to spelling and let the orthography enter. Smile

"I" before "E" except after "C"....except there are times when this doesn't apply. Who came up with the exceptions and why are there exceptions? English is illogical. Yup, English and Religion both are illogical and have stupid rules that don't make any sense. I reject this.

21-11-2014, 03:48 PM
(21-11-2014 02:28 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I'll put a spell on you. Shy

Yo....thats my job.

Smile

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
21-11-2014, 04:09 PM
(21-11-2014 03:48 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 02:28 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I'll put a spell on you. Shy

Yo....thats my job.

Smile

Can you put a spell on me so that I can spell? A spelling spell.Tongue

Etherwize I wont make any cence.... er sence...... er cense er.......ah ha Thumbsup....sense!

21-11-2014, 04:17 PM
That's some tough dough, though through practice you'll get it.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 10 users Like grizzlysnake's post
21-11-2014, 04:17 PM
(21-11-2014 03:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  "I" before "E" except after "C"....except there are times when this doesn't apply. Who came up with the exceptions and why are there exceptions? English is illogical. Yup, English and Religion both are illogical and have stupid rules that don't make any sense. I reject this.

So... language itself makes no sense? Every language has exceptions to rules of thumb - that's why they're not absolute. In Portuguese, the letter "x" can be pronounced in three or four different ways, depending on the word. And no, there's no way to know which is the right one.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?