I cannot understand their view.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2017, 08:38 AM
I cannot understand their view.
I talked to two Christians last night, and they were debating me because they believed atheism was pointless, and I carried on and told them that the burden of proof is on the person who holds the position. I then posed the question of God's "Divine Plan", and asked them, is it part of God's plan for millions of people in Africa, India, etc. to die of starvation and disease every year? They claimed that all of our life was himdenous ( I do not know the word, but basically all pleasures), and that the only pleasure in life is eventually to meet God in heaven. Absurd right?

Then they told me that I had faith in scientists because I do not know all of science and the evidence supported and they said that is the same as their faith in religion. I did not agree, as scientists gather their information off evidence and scientific method.
There was more to the debate, but literally I was just astonished how someone can hold such ignorant views like these./
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2017, 08:40 AM
RE: I cannot understand their view.
When they have something pushed onto them like religion for probably their entire lives it really messes with their brain and really makes them believe the lies. To you it's all nonsense but to them it's probably all they have ever known so to them it's the truth.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
13-04-2017, 08:49 AM
The desire to believe almost invariably overshadows the desire to know. They will do almost anything to prop up and justify their beliefs including lying to themselves and others.
I take consolation in the fact that I believe that deep down inside even the most rabid and fundamentalist theist kinda knows that their beliefs do not make sense or hold water and that this internal conflict significantly accounts for some of their strange behaviour.
13-04-2017, 08:55 AM
(13-04-2017 08:38 AM)Shane951 Wrote:  They claimed that all of our life was himdenous ( I do not know the word, but basically all pleasures),

Probably hedonistic or hedonism

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
13-04-2017, 09:00 AM
I don't understand the whole "If you don't believe in god/afterlife you life has no meaning". That's so stupid; if anything it seems according to the Christian worldview, this life doesn't mean a whole lot since it's apparently nothing but a giant test.
13-04-2017, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2017 09:43 AM by Mr. Boston.)
(13-04-2017 08:38 AM)Shane951 Wrote:  I did not agree, as scientists gather their information off evidence and scientific method.

Which includes STRENUOUS peer review! Believers tend to have this misunderstanding of science, that's it's like religion in the sense that some wizened old gray haired scientist makes some proclamation about the nature of the universe and is just believed because of his experience and authority. That might be where you get concepts like a triune god or faith healing but that's not where scientific ideas come from; at least not ones that last. It has to be demonstrable, it has to WORK. The whole POINT of science is to present your ideas to be reviewed, criticized, and potentially torn down and obliterated by other scientists. Science is improved by the ideas it ultimately finds false AND the ones it ultimately finds true. If we have any "faith" at all it's in the notion that the method is self-correcting and no faulty idea can last for long. That doesn't mean that misunderstood concepts won't persist among the ignorant, or that individual perspective isn't a factor, or that honest errors aren't made all the time. But to my mind the method itself is better than any single person who uses it - BY DESIGN!
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
13-04-2017, 09:13 AM
It sounds to me as if the Christians are just making excuses for their do-nothing imaginary friend, using a bogus promise of future bliss to brush aside the phenomenon of real-world suffering.

To put it another way, they're in love with their beliefs and refuse to hold their god to account.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
13-04-2017, 09:18 AM
(13-04-2017 08:38 AM)Shane951 Wrote:  I was just astonished how someone can hold such ignorant views like these./

I've long past the point of being astonished at the lengths some will go to defend a belief system. The vast majority of people believe because of the family they grew up in were also believers therefore the dogma set in at an early age. The region of the world that they grew up in where in some cases it is almost a requirement that you must believe or there will be serious repercussions for non belief. There are a myriad of reasons people choose to believe in their respective Gods but that doesn't make them anymore real.

Science (to me) doesn't take a lot of faith to believe in because of the way scientific process works. Someone makes a new discovery. Once that discovery is made it is put forth to the entire scientific community as a whole and debated and scrutinized over a period of time. There is then a consensus put forth as to whether that discovery / theory is correct, partially correct, or not plausible. That is the way scientific advancements are made and as new discoveries / theories are put forth the process begins again. That is the way it should be. Science is ever evolving which is a good thing. Without science we would not have the technology, medicine, understanding of the universe and how it works, etc... Where was their God when these scientific discoveries were made?

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
13-04-2017, 09:41 AM
(13-04-2017 08:38 AM)Shane951 Wrote:  I then posed the question of God's "Divine Plan", and asked them, is it part of God's plan for millions of people in Africa, India, etc. to die of starvation and disease every year? They claimed that all of our life was himdenous ( I do not know the word, but basically all pleasures), and that the only pleasure in life is eventually to meet God in heaven. Absurd right?

You delivered the most pointless argument of all to them. They're all well prepared to answer this one. Hell, even in grade school the priests tried to indoctrinate us with why this is the case. The oldest question in the book and the oldest set of responses.

I think it's pointless to debate them at all, but that's just me. I never had any religious talk outside of forums.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
13-04-2017, 10:29 AM
(13-04-2017 08:38 AM)Shane951 Wrote:  I talked to two Christians last night, and they were debating me because they believed atheism was pointless, and I carried on and told them that the burden of proof is on the person who holds the position.

Until Christians understand that the pleasures or social utilities of holding certain beliefs have nothing to do with whether they are true or not, you will not be able to have productive discussions with them. They don't know the difference between reasons and rationalizations.